www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

Post subject: fmic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
would any one care to tell me what are the restrictons when looking for a fmic for a uk st185. is any fmic only poss with a cs bumper. as i have seen some oblong narrow ones on wee bay. do they have to have a certain flow rate or capacity?
thankyou

i will get my use of this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:25 pm 
Club Staff

I have doen some calcs on intercooler cores and pipes.

A standard St185 is however a bloody poor flowing & cooling device! A FMIC kit of virtually any sort is likely to be considerably better IMHO.

Ideally you shoudl have a large quantity of rows and for them to be shorter to achieve the same overall cooling efficiancy but not being restrictive. A short height intercooler will not provide this. Your required BHp woudl be usefull also what you want to achieve from the FMIC. Going to obig on pipework and core can be as bad as too small IMHO

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:32 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
There is very little information about the relative performance of different sized FMIC cores. I'm faced with the same dilemma with my ST205. I'll probably end up following the sort of proven spec that Adrian at Fensport uses. He still has his water injection as a back-up if the FMIC struggles to cope.

I don't know if you have fitted a water injection kit but I'd strongly recommend this as a first step. Assuming you have a stock ST185 then the second step would be to fit an FMIC. Hopefully someone with an ST185 on this forum will have been down this route and will be able to help you out with more specific help.

Cheers,

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:30 am 
Group N

DOESNT THE WATER COOLER GO AFTER THE INTERCOOLER AT THE THROTTLE BODY END. AND IF I WERE TO DO AN FMIC WOULD THIS BE REDUNDANT? I WILL GET THE ADDRESS OF WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT.
WHAT ABOUT ACTUALLY GETTING IT INTO THE BUMPER?
WILL IT BECOME MOD CENTRRAL?
I.E.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/intercooler_W0QQi ... dZViewItem
YTHIS LOOKS ALRIGHT AND MAY FIT SOMEWHERE RATHER THAN A GIANT SQUARE ONE WHICH YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET A CS BUMBER FOR.
THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:27 pm 
Club Staff

I presume by 'water cooler' you mean water injection (WI)? Most people install the spray nozzle post intercooler pre throttle body.

If you later fit a FMIC then you will probably find you only need the WI on rare occasions.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 pm 
Group N

sorry water injection.

owuld that i/c on the link be a viable option or aree there minimum dimensions ( i understand what dice man says i think)
technically, not that i would, you could relocate your stock ic to the front? and with saying that do i wasnt one with similar dimensions.

would i have to change the hbumper. ne one done wiothout?
thanks

SORRY. one more question.
the air through teh i/c. does it then go into the engine to mix with the jui ce (air/fuel). if so then wont spraying water into it alter the composition and feck up your engine.
what does it actually do?

will i have to get a cs bumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:23 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:
Would the FMIC in that link be a viable option or are there minimum dimensions? ( i understand what dice man says i think)
Will I have to get a CS bumper.

The FMIC shown is probably not going to work in my opinion. Being designed for a diesel it probably will not have the flow capacity required for a turbo petrol.
Generally it's going to be a case of bigger is better (within reason) up to something like the IC cores shown on the Fensport website
However, if you do opt for a smaller core, similar to the eBay one but designed to handle the flow of a 300hp+ engine then you might get away with the stock bumper.
I know that "marky mark" on the OC forum had something along these lines behind a stock bumper but it wasn't connected up last time I saw him a long time ago. He doesn't seem to be on the oc very often these days but you could PM him on the offchance

Quote:
Technically, not that I would, could you relocate your stock ic to the front?

I have heard discussions about this but don't recall anyone ever doing it. If JP's calcs are right then it would be sub optimal although better than just leaving it as a top mount lol

Quote:
SORRY. one more question.
the air through teh i/c. does it then go into the engine to mix with the jui ce (air/fuel). if so then wont spraying water into it alter the composition and feck up your engine.
what does it actually do?

Have a read through some of the articles on this site
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/info/document ... /title.htm
Article X is a good start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm 
Group N

thankyou