www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:29 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:00 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
hi guys :)

the 165 marches onwards and upwards. it is now producing SO much power* and g-force that the standard fuel tank cant keep up. infact its falling apart so i have decided i need an incar fuel cell.

please advise me if im missing something vitally important, but is there anything to stop me using the standard fuel pump and pipe arrangement (ie top inserted fuel pump, large bore feed and small return pipe) in a custom tank mounted where the rear seats used to be, behind the driver?

the tank will be made to my specifications by a local engineer and stuffed with that absorbent foam stuff.
so, custom tank mounted in the rough position shown in the pic. i imagine i will need to extend the pickup so it reaches the bottom of the tank. the tank itself will be secured to brackets and rails on the chassis. the shape of the tank is likely to change to the best shape to fit through the rollcage.
please excuse the photoshop skillz, its 30c and this is my leisure time! ;)

thoughts and ideas please?

i spoke to TC at fensport today and he quoted in the region of £1200 to £1500 to do it properly!

*i jest, although it was trying to spin the wheels in 2nd yesterday with its new ST205 box :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:20 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Andy, I presume you will be getting the tank and pick-up area baffled in a similar fashion to the OEM one, or do you expect this 'foam' to do the same job? I'm not sure I'd be too keen on driving around the track with a DIY fuel tank just behind my seat :?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:40 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
The ATL cells are foam filled. It's like 100% baffling I believe

I'd also be concerned about a 10 gallon bomb behind the seat though :(

Mind you, as long as it's welded well (and part of my requirement would be pressure tested too!) I don't see any enormous problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:48 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
thanks for your input guys.
next week i will be getting a sheet of 3mm perspex (cant afford carbon fibre! and making a plate to blank off the cockpit from the rear section of the cage. make some little brackets from steel to wrap around the cage and secure the sheet in position, that should sort things safety wise.

oh, the tank will be behind the passenger seat, im having the battery behind mine :)

Sprint ST165 aka "The 500BHP Sledgehammer" #6 in the Toyota Sprint Series. GT3071 1.9bar