www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:50 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Fancy! 8)

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Thanks mate :)

Making last minute checks now before Fensport tomorrow to let Adrian loose :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:38 pm 
Junior WRC

great work mook... a testament to some hard work and dedication... !!

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 pm 
Group N

Thanks mate. That's what these projects are all about, it's not just time and money, but the blood, sweat and tears that make it come to life :)

The mapping went very well, Adrian was impressed with the improvements since the last map and couldn't believe it had been three years since it was last done - time flies!

TVIS has been reactivated and triggered by both rpm and mass air pressure, anything below 3250rpm or (I think) 0.6 bar boost keeps it shut, exceed any of those and it clicks open. Adrian stated it probably wont make any discernable difference but sorted it to humour me anyway *lol*. One thing I have noticed though is that the boost gauge runs slightly more vacuum than previously when cruising at low rpm, so hopefully it'll just make it a touch more economical down there. We can also hold 5th gear down to 40mph and around 1650rpm, with the old turbo and map you'd need to change down to fourth at 50 and it would just bog below 2000rpm. That's an improvement :)

Fuel wise, we were finding it required upto 15% more thanks to the new turbo, which means a nice increase in power. As the car is set up for the road as opposed to strip/curcuit etc. we spent as much time getting things sorted and smooth from 1.2 to 3k rpm as we did the midrange and top end - we're as smooth as we can be given the Fidanza flywheel and 264 degree high lift cams, only a slight judder when accelerating at around 1.2 to 1.4k in the low gears is the only giveaway it's not stock. Low rpm running, idle and so forth are all pretty much behaving like stock now :thumbsup:

Boost wise we're at 1.2 bar. Was looking for 1.25 but the next click on the map resulted in 1.3. It was a warm day so we kept it safe given it'll probably boost a bit more in the cold. Controlling this new turbo has proven far easier than the old one, probably down to much better design and a new spring in the wastegate. We had a slight spike occur when booting it, lifting off then booting it again, but we've pretty much removed that by locating the solenoid closer to the wastegate and removing about 270mm from the vacuum pipework, reduces the lag on the wastegate. Very pleased with this result.

The ignition timing. Adrian was questioning if I was running rocket fuel as we didn't induce det until 20 degrees of advance was dialed in! It was then knocked back a couple of clicks and there's also a trim of 2 degrees so we're nice and safe on that front while having beefed up midrange and top end torque nicely :)

We're suspecting somewhere around 360bhp but would need to pop it on the rollers to get a 'difinitive' answer to that question. Needless to say he pulls like a train and the journey home was much fun.

Can't thank Adrian enough :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 pm 
Club Staff

Sounds like good gains all round m8 ;-) Glad it worked out.

Now for the money shot... What is turbo lag like and what is boost threshold? Is it less laggy and boost comes on song earlier than the TD06?

I am intrigued how the small A/R Gt3071R actually performs.

At a guess I suspect you can get 0.8 bar by 3200 and the full 1.2 by 3600rpm ish?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 pm 
Group N

I'd have to sit and watch the gauges more methodically, just been driving round with a silly grin thus far *lol*

Needless to say, it outperforms the TD06 at every level, it does indeed spool up much better and comes in more gradually from lower in the range than the TD06, which would kick hard at 4k but not offer so much below that.

I guess coming along to a meet and providing a passenger ride would be in order ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:33 pm 
Group N

Good results Mook.

That is more the result I was expecting on my GT3071 too.
20 degries timing. Mine is at 10 and backed up 2 for safety. Something is wrong with my engine me thinks.

Nice result, keep it in one piece m8.

As far as spool of the turbo on stock st185 cams, I can look in my logs for that.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:07 pm 
Club Staff

You need to consider if that is total timing or not. Remember you set your base timing via dizzy to 10 deg BTDC and then add another 10 degs advance with ecu map which equals 20 degs.

I assume from Mooks post that he is reffering to 20 degs total advance. Maybe Adrian (the mapper) sets base timing to 0 degs BTDC via dizzy before he starts. Or he thinks in "total timing".

To answer another question you asked in your other post Pinjo - You also have different cams which will change your dynamic compression ratio and will start to choke the engine exhaust side with teh short duration - this means you have to run less timing.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Group N

mook wrote:
I'd have to sit and watch the gauges more methodically, just been driving round with a silly grin thus far *lol*

you could plug your laptop into the motec and "simply" pull off the datalogs. this will allow you to show revs vs boost vs something vs something else

assuming you have an advance motec, which i think you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm 
Group N

Diceman wrote:
Maybe Adrian (the mapper) sets base timing to 0 degs BTDC via dizzy before he starts. Or he thinks in "total timing".

usually adrian puts the dizzie right against the stop, so no need to remap the engine when replacing the dizzie or doing any work in that area. so therefore i would assume the ignition timing when mapping the car is taken from a reference of 0BTDC :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:11 pm 
Club Staff

Hello andy m8 - long time no speak.

Good info and makes sense IMHO
also ... fancy sticking some pics of your new beasty up ;-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 pm 
Group N

I've been trying to get my laptop connected up but failed to link it thus far - laptop only have USB connection but the drivers for the converter cable don't seem to work. Think it might be due to the laptop being Vista, need to knock it back to XP and it'll probably be fine :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If you are trying to connect your USB laptop to 9 pin serial on the MoTeC you need to be sure you have exhausted all the options regarding USB to Serial conversion. These are notoriously flaky. I ended up trying two or three USB/serial converter cables and software before I found one which worked for my M4Pro to USB laptop.

Apologies if you've already been through this 'Carter Loop' .......might save you some hassle.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:20 pm 
Club Staff

I had some issues as well.

I found that most MS-DOS based mapping software only had COM options from 1-4 and yet the USB to serial convertor was assigned to a higher COM port number. Required dissabling of other COM ports so that USB to serial COM number was lowered.

Worth checking what COM port number your USB to serial is allocated to through Windoze.

Ot just buy a really old laptop with a serial port and a long extension lead ;-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:53 am 
Group N

Thanks for the info, I'll check on the COM ports and see what the story is :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next