www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The Winter Overhaul...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Okay, from initially wanting to sort my compressor surge and tidy a few things up it has moved on to a full winter overhaul getting ready for re-emerging onto the road next spring :)

New GT3071R is ready and I'll be picking that up Friday morning. I also have a new 4" polished straight intake for it and am getting an adapter made up for it for the Blitz SUS filter. Due to space constraints I'm having the 6" to 4" adapter made offcentre, so once in place I can rotate it round to find the perfect position and ensure everything lines up perfectly :D

Also have some more gold heat shielding coming to put on the side of the cold air box to help keep it cool, that should look rather bling along with the chargecooler.

I've got my work cutout for me revitalising the wheels aswell, the polished lip has taken something of a battering frmo salty roads in the last few years without being properly cleaned so it's a major task rubbing them down and cleaning them up. Have done one front wheel so far, together with cleaning up the caliper and changing the bolts on the disc bell.

Also tidying up some cabling and pipework to make it a little less messy to the right of the engine, it's quite a nest of cr*p in there!

Will post up pics as I make progress, here's a few so far;

Front wheel done, and comparison with rear wheel still untouched!

Turbo, manifold and downpipe removed, aswell as some other bits. Block could do with cleaning up somehow.

New shiney 4" inlet. Old one had a couple of takeoffs, one for oil catchcan return, which I'm ditching, plus another for an idle valve return which has already been blocked off with the introduction of the Motec so this is nice and clean :D

Getting there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Good choice 8)

I don't see any reducers on the intake"kit", so I figure you went with the anti-surge housing?

Good luck with the project.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
lol, you gotta love feature creep

Starts off as "I'll wash the car this weekend" and finishes 10 years later with a car rebuilt from the ground up.....just in time to start again

Been there, seen it, got the T-shirt....although I think I might give the t-shirt a wash this weekend :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 pm 
Junior WRC

Haha, +1 and loving it!

Nice work Mook! 8)

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:19 pm 
Group N

*lol* These things do take on a life of their own :roll:

Careful with that t-shirt though, otherwise in 10 year stime you'll have your own label and factories in China :lol:

Anyway, more progress made. Spoke to a local metalworks place who are now making me up the adapter for the air filter, should be ready by the end of next week :)

Passed over some bits and bobs to a contact for cleaning up and polishing, so there'll be more bling! Also received my sheet of gold heat shielding material which will finish off the side of the cold air box. Contemplating putting another panel up on the other side of the engine bay with some more of the gold on it to make it a little more symetrical, all it will be shielding is the fuse box and power steering tank but might still go ahead with it anyway for the bling factor *lol*

Today was the biggy though, popped down to Turbo Dynamics and picked up my new tubby! Here we have a Garrett GT3071R dual ball bearing turbo, 0.7 a/r compressor, 0.63 a/r turbine, compressor housing has anti-surge porting, as guessed above, and has also been polished up a treat. All oil and water fittings plus gasket and v-band adapter for downpipe included aswell. Also a new 0.8 bar spring for the Tial wastegate - as mentioned in the other thread, I suspect controlling a 0.8 bar spring at 1.2 bar will be easier than controlling a 1.0 bar spring at the same level. Pretty chuffed :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:05 pm 
Club Staff

mmmmmm shiney

The 63 exhaust should work very well with an external gate I think

I've got a similar setup (under the stairs lol) but I have the internally gated 28 hotside to start with and an external gate port for later :twisted:

Are Turbo Dynamics still in the steel supplier compound in Christchurch or have they moved? Haven't been that way for a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 pm 
Group N

They are indeed still down there, so not too far for me to go to get the bits! Certainly comparing this to the TD06 I can see the exhaust housing is that little bit smaller, even though the turbine wheel itself is the same size. The external wastegate specific housing should also spool better without the turbulence of the internal wastegate ports. I also have a theoretical suspiscion that the expanding exhaust housing will offer a little venturi effect on the exhaust gas.

Offered up the straight intake aswell, this is going to look unreal when everything comes together :D

Have a slight issue which unfortunately is going to cost a few more ££'s to get round. Anyone with a chargecooler knows that there is only a couple of inches gap between between the outlet of the turbo and the inlet to the chargecooler. Now, I've got a turbo with a 2 1/2" (63mm) outlet as opposed to the TD06 which was only 2" (51mm), matching that of the chargecooler inlet. So, no I need a 63mm to 51mm reducer, but with a 35mm t-piece incorporated into it for the BOV. Samco are asking me to re-mortgage for such a hose, but due to lack of space I've not much choice and I don't want to start hacking into the chargecooler itself to mount it directly like they do on the ST205. Getting an ST205 cooler would be more pain and the throttle body would be different and so on too, so it looks like it's a Samco one off :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 pm 
Club Staff

SFS seem quite helpful for custom hoses from what i've seen (mostly Mark Evans "A xxxxxx Is Born/Blown up/Borked etc" on Discovery channe).
Worth dropping them a line for a quote at least

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:11 pm 
WRC

Hi,

in principle a internal gated turbo spool faster as the charger becomes more thermal energy, the position of the external wastegate is also a factor as the flow of the bypassed gases in front of the turbine can (will) make a cross-flow -> this affected the turbine flow

to your problem, i think the best (not the easier) solution is that you fit a ST205 charge-cooler, ask a metal worker/alloy welder to clear the problem

two ideas yet: change the rubber to a metal connector on the throttle body side and use a standart or a reducer hose to connect

or weld a pipe with the same diameter on the chargecooler

hope the infos help :)

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:15 pm 
Club Staff

Mook - If it is of any assistance I have an RC chargecooler with an extra dump pipe welded on.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
WRC

Diceman wrote:
Mook - If it is of any assistance I have an RC chargecooler with an extra dump pipe welded on.

Hi,

the answer to a question can be so simply :lol:

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm 
Group N

Might have to drop SFS a line too and see what they say.

JP > Appreciate the offer mate, if it wasn't for the fact that my cooler has had a fair amount of work done with the lagging, polishing and carbon top I'd certainly consider it. Sorting all that out on another cooler is going to be another headache into the bargain :?

Sunny > I'm also having my throttle body cleaned up and I still plan to re-activate the TVIS system via the ST185 inlet so going through the process of trying to fit ST205 stuff would just be too much on top of everything else :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 pm 
Group N

Mook, I was in the same position.

Maybe a few pics for you to help you.

This is the test fitting with the OEM CS cooler. Gap was about 4 [cm] coolerinlet to turbo outlet, 3[cm] sideways. Pretty difficult to fit a reducer in there.

Here is the testing with a ST205 core, about the same distance offset.

Decided to chop off the entire pipe of the cooler and weld on a new one.

Made the intake the same size as the exit of the turbo (2").

Chopped off the outlet of the ST205 core to about 1".
Bought a MR2 alu intake(straight fit for gen 2 tb, needs gasket), and cut that to about 1". Bought a reducer and fitted the everything together.

Lagged the core with 3 layers.

Good luck.

p.s.

I might sell it if your interrested. :wink:

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm 
Group N

Interesting, many thanks for those mate :D

Think I need to get my manifold back from my mechanic and get everything bolted in place so I can so how it all sits, then make the necessary decisions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:38 pm 
Group N

Next bit has come back, the offset 6" to 4" adapter for the air filter. Needs a coat of Hammerite to seal it but the fit is spot on :)

I'll think more about the dump valve at a later stage...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next