www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:07 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Golly, has it been nearly 5 years since I last updated this thread :o

Well, long story short. Ended up separating from the missus which put a huge dent on my finances. James was happy to keep Rufus stored up at JDModified while I got myself sorted out. 18 months ago I managed to find a smaller place so downsized my house and got the finances back in order so we were go to get cracking with the build. Odds and sods were sorted but various delays put things back ever more, and other decisions were made which added more time to source and sort;

* New rear calipers - HiSpec Ultralite 2's to match the Ultralite 4's on the front. These were all re-anodized in black seeing as the wheels are now yellow. Custom brackets were needed for the rears which took some time but got sorted.
* Swap out Motec M4 Pro ecu and fit a new Haltech Elite 1500 with wideband module, along with the new stripped back engine loom. Lots of fiddling with that and a few little head scratching issues but sorted in the end.
* Due to age and storage various other odds and ends broke, such as one of the door handles and one of the braided brake lines (at the MOT centre no less!)

Still, after all that, I now have him back and we're doing some running in miles before a tweak on the mapping to get things properly sorted. As he stands he's putting out 365bhp at 1.4 bar but with loads of area under the torque curve, drives much more like a standard car off boost and picks up very nicely. One or two little niggles need sorting, charge cooler connecting hoses look to be leaking a little, might be a split somewhere and there's a small of fuel from the FPR so that'll need checking over. Also, the exhaust still hits the front subframe and makes a right old din so we need to do something with that. I'm also getting some coilovers from Betsy to freshen up the handling, the old Eibach springs and KYB shocks are nearly 13 years old now! I will also be sorting a new livery, though I managed a small update for JAE last weekend, which I only had a week to prepare for - 4 1/2 years in effectively a barn takes it toll on paintwork, even with a fully fitted car cover :o

The drive up to JAE and back was pleasant, ran very nicely and even managed 26.5mpg which is pretty good. Made sure I varied engine revs/speed/engine load etc. and not giving it too many beans while everything is settling down. Didn't use any oil or engine coolant, just lost a bit of the charge cooler coolant thanks to the dodgy hoses. All in all I'm very chuffed to have him back and will now be able to apply some TLC to get everything back purring and shiny 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:41 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Nice dyno plot mook, the 2.2 does seem to help a fair bit.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:46 am 
Group N

It does indeed mate. I think balancing up the head again and increasing capacity by 10% has made the turbo so much more responsive, much like a standard one. Plus the slightly higher compression ratio makes driving at the lower end of the rpm range much more friendly. Extrapolating the curve back there's got to be around 100 lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm and around 150 by 2800. Only slight 'drivability' issue I had was a slight judder when slipping the new ORC clutch in traffic at snails pace, but that's more or less expected from a single plate clutch rated at over 400 lb/ft.

Oh, and the wheels did their job, certainly turns heads and get pics taken more than he used to. Should be able to get a magazine feature in the relatively near future - strength to Skewer's arm ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:02 pm 
New Poster

That looks lovely mate, nice to see him back on the road :)

I'm on a similar timescale, with similar reasons, divorce etc though you can throw a cardiac arrest in the mix too :shock:

Now living in a flat in central London with no garage or workspace so having to think about sorting mine out when hours allow at my Mum's place. My Skewer gauges still make me smile when I sit in her though.

Look forward to hopefully seeing Rufus in the flesh next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:07 am 
Clubman

Good to hear the news,
I looked at mine for the 1st time in over a year, last week!
Hope to get her back on the road this year.

Stephen

1993 Carlos Sainz 2939, Forged, Apexi RX6B turbo with external wastegate. MOTEC M4, AFPR and 800cc injects. 3" exhaust, +1mm valves.ST205 cams. Rays 8.5" x 17". 205 rear subframe. Bilstein coilovers. 205 brakes.TRD diff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 pm 
Group N

Neil B > Unlucky mate, tricky times. To be fair mine was amicable and we're still on speaking and occasional popping round for a cuppa and catch up terms, which is good. Glad the gauges are still going well :)

toyokid > A mere moment in time mate ;) I'm sure she'll be back in short order.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 am 
Group N

A few more pics :)

Shows the brake set-up a bit better with the new HiSpec Ultralite 2's on the back. Also the new carbon fibre number plates, and the obligatory pop-ups shot. Interior is going to get a few little mods to clean things up a bit, that should be sorted in a few weeks :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 pm 
Group N

Still nice Mook! 8)

ST185 CS #1845

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 pm 
Group N

Thanks mate :)

Have now done some more work getting things tidy under the bonnet, still got some more to do but good progress - remade both ali side panels and both side carbon panels, which are clean of graphics now and fit much better with the amendments in the bay itself. Have also redone the brackets for the top carbon panels so I now no longer mess up the alignments of the headlights when removing the panels, which is quite a bonus. Tidied up hoses for the oil catch can, though I still need to make a new bracket and panel for mounting the catch can and charge cooler overflow pot. Charge cooler has a fresh carbon panel with a new design and the front cooling panel has been cleaned up and is graphic free. General polishing and cleaning and swapped out the old blue bolts for stainless ones which don't shred when you try to remove them! Used a bit of carbon tube to route some pipes and cables by the top of the rad and finally got my 2l Asahi beer can mounted round the straight intake :D

Went back to JDModified for some more set up and mapping. Initial oil and filter change was good, nothing of concern there. Oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors added and calibrated, warning levels set and 'limp home' modes plugged in. Also sorted the knock detection and control properly so was able to remap within the new limits - got an extra 20 odd bhp and 30 odd ft/lb or torque, which is rather pleasant. It's now in learn mode for knock and AFRs so it'll be mapping itself for a while! Idle and cold start is a bit troublesome for the moment but once it figures it out it should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:35 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looking very nice Mook :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:08 pm 
New Poster

Love this car....looking awesome as always.
I already know about the headlights, wish we could still get them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 pm 
Group N

Respect. That is a stunning and very distinctive Four!

Love the Asahi intake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:07 pm 
New Poster

This is an awesome example, i will certainly be picking your brains regarding your rebuild when the time is right for my car. Very well put together and finished off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9