www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Looks good! 8)

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:08 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
I'm beginning to think an ST205 chargecooler will be the way forward, as that way I can simply use a reducer from turbo to chargecooler. I can then get any welding done for offset before getting the chargecooler cleaned up and I can lag and polish it again and swap on my carbon top and recoup a few quid selling mine. More hassle but I guess can I also count is an improvement, aren't the ST205 chargecooler cores supposed to be a bit better than the RC/CS ones?

ST185pinjo > Quick question, you mention the MR2 ali throttle body intake being a direct fit, is the ST205 chargecooler also a direct fit on the three mounting points?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:54 pm 
Group N

ST205 core is bigger and I believe it flows better too ;)

www.mcnab-racing.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
Group N

Quote:
ST185pinjo > Quick question, you mention the MR2 ali throttle body intake being a direct fit, is the ST205 chargecooler also a direct fit on the three mounting points?

It can not fit the three mounting pionts, but you can use two of the three.
The one on the timingbeld side and the front one of the gearbox side.
Pull of the rubber bushing on the back one and it sits nicely.

Here are some pics of the difference in cooler.

difference.

CS ic.

ST205 ic.

I'd be happy to answer more q's if you have them.
Most with pics. :wink:

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:18 pm 
Group N

Excellent info, many thanks. So, front two feet fit perfectly, the rear one is a bit short - could probably find a way of sorting that little issue.

The depth of the ST205 code certainly looks a bit thicker, and from the pics it certainly also looks like they are more densely packed with fins so should indeed do a better job :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:21 pm 
Group N

Quote:
Excellent info, many thanks. So, front two feet fit perfectly, the rear one is a bit short - could probably find a way of sorting that little issue.

Your welcome.

It is not really needed to use the three boults. The IC is also fixated bij the TB and Turbo hose. So it sits tight from 4 sides.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:44 pm 
Club Staff

Hi mook,
looks like you are hatching a very cunning plan indeed :-)
By the looks of it the MR2 Turbo throttle body adaptor will require cutting and a tapered piece of samco or metal pipe welded on. Having tried playing about fitting a ST205 chargecooler to a st185 on one of my early ST185s it is very difficult/partial botch to try and use teh st205 throttle body rubber as none of the holes line up.

Good luck - be intrerested to hear how you end up overcoming the problem. Could be you are the first to come up with a proper job solution :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:00 pm 
Group N

Yes the MR2 intake needs cutting/hacksaw to make it shorter. The pipe needs to stick out about 3/4-1 inch.

Like in this pic.

What exhaust adapter do you have Mook?

As said, I could sell you the whole thing couplers and everything. Straight boult on, exept if you want the intake of the IC to mach the turbo outlet, you will have to make a new one and weld it on.
Even got a spare ST205 HE to go with it.

Think about it.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm 
Group N

Thanks for the response guys, and the offer of the kit ST185pinjo, appreciated. I'm still trying to keep costs as low as possible at present (he says after buying a new Garrett!!), so I'm still contemplating solutions.

Made a bit more progress anyhow, received back some parts from a mate who works at a metal polishers (they do pharmaceutical grade stuff so it's pretty good!).

I also picked up a new panel from the metalworks place up the road which will be going on the left hand said of the engine bay under the carbon panel. Like the side of the airbox it too will have some gold heat shielding on it and I'll look to relocate some clutter behind it - alarm siren is current favourite :o

I also got my manifold and bits back so was able to have a first test fit :D The manifold adapter is the one that came with the TD06 kit from ATS Racing in the states, nothing special, just an adapter to the T3 fitting flange with a takeoff for the wastegate, which sits behind and under the turbo so you never really see it.

So close, yet still not spot on, so going to need a bit more work to get things just right.

On the airfilter side there is a bracket behind the light unit which is getting in the way, as is the neck of the engine coolant tank. I can remove the bracket and then hopefully shift the coolant bottle out of the way, it's only literally just in the way, but it does prevent the intake being perfectly straight from front to back. Then there's up and down, it's still kept slightly aloft thanks to the 'raised floor' of the airbox, ie. the bit of metal that comes up from the base where the original battery tray was bolted down. A close inspection tells me I should be able to get my little angle grinder in there and chop more than enough out to sort that little one

Then there's the turbo fitment. It sits very close to the chargecooler inlet, about 20mm tops, so any thought of putting a samco t-piece in there is a bit moot. Plus the larger size of the compressor housing compared to the standard one means it's coming in from a higher angle, which you can see in the pics. From the front it's also the case that the centres don't line up, turbo is a bit to the left.

This is where I'm still a litte undecided on what to do with the chargecooler, but I've been thinking...

I can see a way round this by chopping out a 'wedge' shaped piece of the chargecooler inlet and re-welding it back on - a bit say 15mm wide at the top and 5mm wide at the bottom. That would sort the angle perfectly and sit it a little further away from the turbo. Still wouldn't be lined up spot on but a reducer should have anough room to take up the slack.

But then I think, that's not perfect, so come up with another idea. Take a piece of 2 1/2" tube and shape it as required above and weld that onto the chargecooler, expanding the current opening towards the left so everything lines up. And while we're at weld another port on for the dump valve.

That would be problem solved and I wouldn't have to get hold of an ST205 cooler and ST205 around with all that lot getting it to fit. I think with either cooler it would require some work to get ideal fitment from turbo to it anyway, so might aswell use the one I already have and save a few pennies. If we can also add a take-off for the dump valve it sorts that problem too. My only trepidation is cutting into the wall of the cooler without damaging the core, something I would imagine is going to be rather difficult!

The fun continues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:13 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Nice...very nice 8)

Where did you get the J-Speed brace from...been after one of them for ages for my 185.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:28 pm 
Group N

Had that for some time mate, got it from Alex Knight over on the OC, must have been four or five years ago. Don't think he deals with that stuff anymore though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm 
Group N

Quote:
That would be problem solved and I wouldn't have to get hold of an ST205 cooler and ST205 around with all that lot getting it to fit. I think with either cooler it would require some work to get ideal fitment from turbo to it anyway, so might aswell use the one I already have and save a few pennies. If we can also add a take-off for the dump valve it sorts that problem too. My only trepidation is cutting into the wall of the cooler without damaging the core, something I would imagine is going to be rather difficult!

That sounds right. From the pics you made my cooler would need some work too.

You will need shades every time you need to be in the engine room with all that bling. 8)

Good luck.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
how about chopping off the chargecooler inlet pipe completely and replacing it with a slightly more curved piece complete with dump valve adapter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm 
Group N

Aye, that's a thought too. Plenty of options, just trying to work out which one to go for *lol*

The bling will be grand, need a bit more light in my garage to be honest :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 pm 
Club Staff

and dont forget you can clock the compressor housing slightly just by undoing the bolts slightly.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next