www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 pm 
WRC

Car Model: None
Hi,

i think the best idea is to build a new manifold adapter, so that the turbo becomes the right position, but i also think that these is no the cheapest solution

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Hmmm, not sure a new manifold adapter would do the trick either. To sort that to line up the turbo and chargecooler correctly would mean adding a kink into the adapter, and of course having to machine a new downpipe, or at least tamper with it somewhat, to align with the new position.

I'm still aiming to spool up as soon as possible and would imagine that's it's more critical to keep the exhaust side flowing more freely than the inlet side :?

JP > No problem clocking the turbo. Set it up originally with the same relative positions as the TD06, it would only need tweeking a little if at all - perhaps a degree or two upwards in order to facilitate a smoother, if more angled, curve into the chargecooler. Will keep it in mind when considering the chargecooler pipe anyhow :)

Still got loads of options churning around my head *lol*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:18 pm 
WRC

Hi,

new downpipe....make your downpipe fit :)

a more freely system often means a big diameter, but a big diameter flow not so fast what means that the turbo spools not so fast

small diameter -> spools faster -> less restricion under low revs -> restriciton under high revs

bigger diameter -> spools not so fast -> restricion under low revs -> less restricion under high revs

you need a good compromise, and adjust to your requirements

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 pm 
Group N

Sunny > The downpipe shouldn't be a problem, that can easily be made to fit the exhaust side as it needs the old three bolts flange removing and new v-band flange adding. Any adjustments needed on that side can be done at that time :)

Think I will go down the ST205 chargecooler route. As well as getting the MR2 throttle body adapter (though I'll need to double check it's needed - not sure if the RC/CS throttle body is any different from the normal a-2-a throttle body) I was going to get an ST205 chargecooler bracket to sort the mounting issue. The fact it has a slight sideways curve on the inlet pipe should also help in the removal and replacement of it in the right place for the turbo, so just trying to sort that now :)

Made some progress today. Removed the bracket behind the light unit easy enough and 'adjusted' the mounting of the coolant overflow bottle so it can be angled forward out of the way. Whipped out the angle grinder and got shot of the raised part of the battery tray mounting so the filter now sits on a perfectly straight intake 8)

Due to the old intake being so far out of line the hole for the filter is now way out, so I'll need to make up a new side for the cold airbox. Not a problem, and it'll look super cool with it's gold heat shielding when sorted :D

Coming together slowly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 pm 
Group N

Some more progress.

Stopped by Matgt4's the other day and picked up his old chargecooler and mounting bracket - decided to go down the ST205 cooler route (eventually!). The mounting bracket is also a bonus, should sort the 'third leg' issue :)

Also received my new 14" slimline fan which should do the job nicely.

Also trial fitted the driver side engine bay panel. Can't really see it much when the carbon top panel is in place, but just enough to know it's there, and it'll match the other side which should look good.

Fitted the mounting bracket for the chargecooler, but that turned out more of a ST205 than anticipated, not helped by the practically impossible to get to rear bolt! initial fitment showed the side and rear mounting points were slightly out. Comparing the two showed the ST205 one slightly longer, so I fashioned a spacer for the rear bolt by drilling out a nut! After the age it took to get it all on I lined things up to find it was slightly twisted. Net result, the spacer needed to come out and the front mounting point needed drilling out to get it back in line!!! More agro.

Eventually got it fitted and tried the cooler. Even further out from the turbo than the original. Joy of joys. Decided to go for it and hacked the inlet pipe into various pieces, all of which got rotated and twisted and taped back on so it lines up nicely.

However, due to the excessive initial turn to the left it means the first pipe which needs to be welded onto the cooler is actually oval, which is no good.

Plan B. I've ordered up a 2 1/2" ali 90 degree bend intercooler pipe. For a start this will match the turbo so no reducer will be required, and the first part can be welded to the cooler at an angle without any issues and give better flow. I left a 1/4" stub on the cooler itself, so this can be flared out to match the internal diameter of the new pipework, all again to aid flow. Will get some more pics of that once sorted :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm 
Group N

Got a few bits through today, one being the 90 degree 2 1/2" ali pipe. First glance is pretty good, but closer inpection might prove even better! If I cut it just right I can sit this towards the left hand side of the inlet into the cooler then it'll be a straight pipe with only one curve bending down to the turbo, will look far more tidy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 pm 
Group N

Did a bit more this evening - took the hacksaw to the ali bend pipe and offered it up to the cooler. Took quite a bit of 'eyeing up' to make sure I cut it in the right place, but have managed to sort it with a single piece which I'm pretty pleased with. Had to remove the remainder of the lip which was on the cooler as it needs to be attached as far left as it can.

Pics show it offered up. Once on, the pipe will be a bit shorter so there's about 1 1/2" gap, and the guys doing the welding will roll on and tack weld a bit of thin ali to give the lip on the end :)

You may spot a little bit more carbon trim in there too ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 pm 
Group N

Good job Mook.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looks like its starting to come together Mook :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:45 am 
Group N

ST185pinjo > Thanks mate, appreciate the inspiration for the cooler mod. I have an MR2 throttle body trumpet in the post on it's way to me and have the reducer all ready for it :)

Don > Aye, getting there. Aim will be to be back on the road and ready for Japfest - the show I traditionally attend with the mighty DC!! I trust we're going next year depite last years pitch??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm 
Club Staff

I think we have secured a pitch slghtly closer for this years Japfest. Our stand is at the Fairmile in Cobham :-)

I am joking BTW!

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:33 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
no you're not. It is closer!

T'will be interesting to see how the 205 cooler pans out....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:57 pm 
Group N

Quote:
ST185pinjo > Thanks mate, appreciate the inspiration for the cooler mod. I have an MR2 throttle body trumpet in the post on it's way to me and have the reducer all ready for it

Glad I could help you.

Don't forget the MR2 trumpet needs a gasket to go on the TB, as the oem CS rubber one does not need it.

Good luck.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm 
Group N

Got the MR2 throttle body trumpet through today (came with a gasket, ableit used - will have to invest in some gasket sealant!).

First thing I noticed is it is lipped so it sits within the throttle body and not just matched up to it. As such it has a slightly smaller diameter than the original ST185, which was only 55mm or thereabouts anyway. I'm in two minds as to what to do. I'm thinking that as I'm aiming for quick spool and decent midrange torque I might just leave it smaller. I'm not fussed about a target bhp figure, if anything I'd like torque to br greater than bhp, would mean it's peak is below 5252rpm then, more usable on the road :)

Also got back the new side panel for the cold air box so will get that sorted out. Dropped in my chargecooler aswell so should have that welded up and back to me before the New Year :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:58 am 
Group N

Any updates mate? Spring is comming. :D

ST185 CS #1845

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next