www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Okay, been a bit of a while since the last update, that's winter for you, but things are moving on now and we're getting that bit closer :)

Here's some shots of the new backbox, gonna be a b*tch to keep clean!!

Add to that a bit more polishing - the top of the chargecooler (with it's inlet pipe welded on properly now), the 4" intake, though it was a bit tricky to get it super shiney as it's quite soft and wouldn't buff too well, and a subtle job on the igniter - tricky bits sandblasted and the top polished before finishing with lacquer, all very nice :)

Then sorted out lagging the chargecooler. Decided to go for two layer on this; an initial silver matted layer on the base followed by the gold over the rest. Some of the curves were rather painful to do and I'll have to be satisfied with the finish, despite the fact it's not 100% perfect.

My mechanic came over yesterday and we finished off the downpipe. The top 2 1/2" section was chopped off and replaced with some proper 3" bore sections, v-band flange added to the turbo end and lambda boss welded in. We moved the boss round to the side a bit to help keep it tidy :)

Unfortunately the exhaust wrap we had was knackered so we didn't actually get the turbo/downpipe properly on and fitted up. He's taken it away to wrap for when he next comes in.

In the meantime we added the slimline fan to the rad. I managed to fix the issue of the fitment of the 14" fan quite easily ... by getting a 12" one instead *lol*. Not got any pics of that yet but itsits out of the way nicely and will leave room for the straight intake no worries :D

I wasn't totally happy with using the MR2 throttle body trumpet, it was smaller than the original one I had, which initially I didn't see as a problem as it could add a ram effect and improve low down torque, but the fitment of the silicone hose was not good, it wasn't a 'standard' size. To remedy that I ordered a new upgraded MR2 trumpet from ATS Racing in the US, which isn't really an upgrade as to me it'll be the same as the original but it'll be metal so it'll fit up nicely and go with the silicone hose spot on! Pics will, of course, follow :)

Steady progress! I've got the remaining parts I need on order so once my mechanic comes back with the downpipe we should be able to get it all back together and start him up for the first time in months!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:32 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Looks great!

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Quote:
I'll have to be satisfied with the finish, despite the fact it's not 100% perfect

Not perfect???????
For heavens sake, don't ever get near mine then :lol:

That's a real neat looking job on the new chargecooler inlet :D

Can you get any more of that gold stuff?
And do you fancy fitting it for me, then putting my car back together so I've got somewhere to bolt a chargecooler too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 am 
Group N

Hehe, chances are ... sorry, no ;)

Not made much progress since, although I have removed the carbon trim from the old chargecooler and applied it to the new one. Nightmare getting it off the old one as it was stuck on with solid goo, never ever seen the likes of before!!

About to head off on holiday for a week and will hopefully get the last bits finished off once I get back. With any luck we'll be back on the road by the end of May :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 am 
Group N

Right, finally made some progress - we're back on the road :D :D

Managed to get everything put back together, though there were a few issues as one might expect! First off, the downpipe isn't quite where the original was so the flexi section is currently binding on the sump and I had to use thinner bolts in order to connect it up together with a bit of sideways give. Couldn't get the support bracket on either, but both of these are going to be solved in a couple of weeks when I get the full exhaust made up :)

Temperature gauge didn't work at first but I spotted a couple of earth cables in the loom I'd neglected to re-attach! Gauge now works. However, things aren't spot on yet as there's a leak from the water elbow somewhere which needs sorting as it spews coolant as soon as you stop :( Think it's coming from somewhere underneath where the pipework heads towards the back of the engine bay. So could do with draining the system again and giving it a good going over.

All the polished stuff went in nicely, turbo looks good and I managed to sort the oil and water lines okay. Made sure the oil was coming through before connecting the drain back up, which I was happy with, so the turbo should be fine. Does make a rather pleasant dyson sound, possibly aided by the anti-surge port and 4" straight intake!! Only thing left to do there is fabricate a new heatshield.

After the exhaust is sorted, and the coolant problems are ironed out, we're left with paying Fensport a visit and getting Adrian to remap the Motec. Looking at 1.25 bar at this stage (still standard bottom end) but it should be a lot more responsive and drivable than the old TD06, and of course should be free from surge! Looking to sort that in three or four weeks.

Pics of the latest progress will follow shortly.

Then it's all in prep for JAE, was hoping to unveil a new livery at the event also, probably wont get time to sort it though :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 pm 
Group N

Care to share pics? :lol:

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
Group N

Pretty much got the gremlins sorted, so time for those pics ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Fantastic job Mook 8)

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
Club Staff

very nice mook :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
Junior WRC

Mr. Bling is BACK. 8)

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:27 am 
New Poster

I've just been reading your topic, and i'm amazed. It all looks great! Respect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:42 am 
Group N

Thanks guys, getting there!

Also giving my 'ice' a think over. Suspect I'm going to remove most of it to reduce weight and not put in the stuff I purchased a while ago. I'm considering getting a Pioneer TS-WX77A and building it into the floor of the boot - weighs less than I was originally going to put in and keeps the weight lower down also :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:33 pm 
Group N

Good job Mook. 8)

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm 
Group N

Okay, more progress.

Ditched the idea of the big Pioneer slab sub and instead gone for a smaller one, the TS-WX210A, less than half the weight and can sit next to the battery behind the rear seat. Keeps weight to a min and gives me more boot space back :)

Have also ordered a new headunit, nothing fancy but it's got iPod connection, USB and so forth plus all important customisable illumination colour so I can dial it in to the Defi's :)

Have also ordered a big sheet of rigid carbon fibre which is going to make up a few parts - the false wall in the boot to cover battery and sub but more importantly remaking an undertray for the radiators up front. Am thinking of putting a divider or two in there aswell to help channel the air between the rads better.

Also planning on getting a new chargecooler pre-rad from the US. Company called Silicone Intakes do a specific chargecooler pre rad which would replace me Metro engine rad. It's 660x180x90mm, plenty more efficient methinks;

Car is currently with TGT, now JDModified, having the exhaust made up - proper piece of art to get a 3" system fitted without touching anywhere. They had to wait a few days for the mid section silencer to come through so I had them make up the heatshield for the turbo aswell - another piece of art which will polish up a treat.

Should be picking up Tuesday :)

Some pics provided by James as TGT;

Will get some better quality pics when I have him back :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:45 pm 
Group N

Got the car back now, system is looking tip top, just requires a couple of tweeks to finish it off, and the heatshield looks superb.

Had the heatshield polished up now and applied some more of the gold to the underside of it and fitted it in place with some more anodised nuts. The difference to the bay issomewhat marked :D

Here's the pics! The more astute of you will notice I fixed the issue of the bolts on the strut brace and I also replaced the reducer joining the rear of the chargecooler to the throttle body, now need to force the chargecooler into the throttle body to get it's bolts in place, no way that hose is coming off!

Will get another pic of the coupler plus some of the sub once that's secured in place.

Also got my ICE order through, have already popped in the headunit which looks nice and have finally filled the gap in the centre console with a replacement cup holder (had removed original when turbo timer and boost controller were fitted pre Motec). I'll mod the cupholder shortly into a pop out tray for my ipod :)

Coming together now, off to Fensport Wednesday for the mapping :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next