www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am

Post subject: Whiteline ARB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:40 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
after fitting the topmounts, and found only a slight improvement in handling, next stop is replacing the ARB's.

I've looked around and found that whiteline seems to be the prefered route - is this about right?

Where's the best place to get these from, do they come with droplinks or do i need to buy these.

Next question is - are they difficult to fit, and any pointers on howbest to fit them?

Any help will be great
Cheers
Rob

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:04 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Rob - I think the cheapest and easiest place to get a rear WHiteline ARB is from Demon Tweeks. I believe they market this as fitting the 185, but this is the same ARB.

From memory they make 2 types, an adjustable one and a fixed ARB - I'd go for the adjustable.

What were your thoughts on the front ARB?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:36 pm 
Junior WRC

I am looking to reduce the amount of under steer, when pushing the four into a corner i get lots of it.

I really want to get this car ready for doing some track days and i feel the under steer will affect this.

The tyres are good, 215 40 17's, i do need new droplinks,
The fig8's and lower arms are all done too.

I have a stainless rear strut brace but as yet no replacement front strut brace.
I was looking to fit a lower and upper strut brace to the front too.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:50 pm 
Group N

I found fitting the front upper and lower strut braces really stiffened up the front of the car, although this did not help reduce understeer, if anything the opposite.

I found the adjustable rear anti roll bar to be the best upgrade of all. I have mine set on the tightest setting and really does make a difference.

I used www.rallynuts.com as they were cheaper (and much quicker) than demon tweeks. The bar comes with bushes but not droplinks, chances are your will be shot too as they got a stupid allen key spanner arrangement to undo which lasts all of 5 seconds.

I repaced with blueprint ones from motor factors as these were reasonably prices and had a bolt nut arrangement. Although i will be fitting universal whiteline ones when i get a chance.

Fitting was also very simple just get the *bleep* in the air, undo the two droplinks and theres two attachments under the car which unbolt. Pull old "thing" out (ull see what i mean when you see it lol) and replace using whiteline parts, easy.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:49 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Robbie, just to confuse you I found that the Whiteline adjustable ARB had less of an effect in reducing understeer than fitting the upper and lower Cusco braces! Also helps if you go for the TRD springs and uprated dampers (can't remember if you've done this on your car)

You might find you have to wriggle the ARB around a bit to get it over the exhaust. Also, you might have fun trying to release the drop link nuts/allen bolts.

Anyway, if you do all this then you should find understeer is a distant memory :D

Good luck!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:11 pm 
Junior WRC

thanks for the advice the car had uprated apexi springs lowered by 30mm. I'll look into the uprated dampers, whats best to go for on these?

Cheers for all your help chaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:49 pm 
Club Staff

St205 fitment is easy with 2 people to wiggle from both ends, St185 I have not managed without removing the rear struts. I just couldnt get it thrpough no matter what language I threw at it.

Drop-links don't coem with teh Whiteline. You can refit the old ones if you manage to salvage them!. Tip for removing the drop links form teh old ARB and strut. Use a blow torch or oxy acetylene kit on them prior to even trying to undo - Toyota use thread-lock on them and the allen headed bolt rounds very easy.

ST185 and ST205 rear ARB's are identical even from Toyota so the St185 Whiteline will fit a St205 no problem m8.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R