www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
sklopendra wrote:
If this info is interesting - i have some "fact and figures" and pictures comparing st185/205/215 and 2jzgte pistons.

Also i have a jpeg and excel files with boost logs, but anyway - it is files, you can beleive or you can spend more money - it's up to you, a have no interest to sell anything :-)

I'd be very interested! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
WRC

Hi,

two_OH_five wrote:
CP pistons with Carillo rods would also fit that bit Sunny ;)

The disadvantage of CP is the 9:1 CR

Diceman posted loads of piston specs somewhere, will have to dig it out

do you mean that they also fit, of course
i'am talking about for example, manufacturing wrongs that couse a problem

no one can say it was the other companys wrong if you choose all parts from one company, is the statement i want to give :)

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 pm 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
Tim has also said the standard pistons themselves can take 400+bhp...

but he has also said the piston rings will never last, i personally dont really have much idea but i look at the statistics of 99% of people demolishing standard pistons in the mid 300bhp area under sustained hard use... where as the wiesco or the others seem to be fine running trackdays at far superior spec.

i mean they will do, but how long will they last hard use?

just ive never seen many people use them with sucess is all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm 
Club Staff

Without detonation, and with correct piston to bore and ring end gap clearance I see no reason why the std piston will not survive high BHP.

If you are rebuilding then I see little point in buying std pistons/rings and having them machined to suit when forged pistons are pretty cheap and will tolerate less than ideal conditions (such as det) IMHO.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm 
New Poster

Usually, reliability depends a lot on the tuning. A good programmable ECU with a lot of dyno and track tuning will give great result with stock engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
Club Staff

Have to agree with Dales comments. The practical experience of many people running 3S-GTE's over 350bhp with the stock hypereutectic pistons is that eventually the ringlands will fail. The more brittle nature of these stock pistons mean they are more susceptible to damage from detonation. The forged 2618 alloy pistons are the least prone to detonation damage.

Front mount intercooler, water injection and programmable ECU would all help to reduce the chances of detonation. Running such a low 7.6CR and high boost of 2.4 bar does that not mean the engine is more suited to drag racing? The lack of power/torque off boost inherent in such a spec would make it really difficult on circuit. Particularly tight and twisty tracks.

If you've managed to solve that problem I'd be fascinated to hear how its done.

Cheers,

Don

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:45 am 
WRC

me too Don, im not saying it cant be done as when i questioned Tim on the matter he said he has run 500bhp on stock pistons too... but he did say that it isnt as reliable as forged, if it was, why would all the big tuners and cars run forged?? it wouldnt make sense surely?

i mean if you spend a fortune on the engine you want it to last and i dont think i could trust the stock pistons, especially as 90% of st205's running only 1.2 bar or more suffer ringland failure... not a good percentage ratio of success to fail in the grand scheme.

but i would love to hear more indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:50 am 
Clubman

Dan wrote:
I'd be very interested! :D

Just started to translate :-) bit later i'll post here.

Diceman wrote:
Without detonation, and with correct piston to bore and ring end gap clearance I see no reason why the std piston will not survive high BHP.

Domspun wrote:
Usually, reliability depends a lot on the tuning. A good programmable ECU with a lot of dyno and track tuning will give great result with stock engines.

exactly. Piston-cylinder gap _must_ be increased. Stock rings are holding well. My 3sgte generates only 553hp (but already for 2 years and 8500km of

frequent full throttle)

but this lancer evo with st205 STOCK pistons w/ increased combustion chamber....generates 667hp@1.9 bar

Other one car 460hp. Celica ST185, stock st205 pistons w/ increased chamber, later they made dyno on 100 octane and reach 510hp, unfortunately i don't

have graph.

dale wrote:
....especially as 90% of st205's running only 1.2 bar or more suffer ringland failure... not a good percentage ratio of success to fail in the grand

scheme.
but i would love to hear more indeed!

1.2bar+stock injectors and pump also with really high temp in intake due to poor stock intercooling - that's the limit, and then say hello to

detonation.

TrackToyFour wrote:
Have to agree with Dales comments. The practical experience of many people running 3S-GTE's over 350bhp with the stock hypereutectic pistons is that

eventually the ringlands will fail. The more brittle nature of these stock pistons mean they are more susceptible to damage from detonation. The forged

2618 alloy pistons are the least prone to detonation damage.

if engine is planned for high output, it is necessary to use bigger piston-cylinder gap and reconcile low CR if running on usual petrol.

TrackToyFour wrote:
Running such a low 7.6CR and high boost of 2.4 bar does that not mean the engine is more suited to drag racing? The lack of power/torque off boost

inherent in such a spec would make it really difficult on circuit. Particularly tight and twisty tracks.

If you've managed to solve that problem I'd be fascinated to hear how its done.

i'm not professional racer not even high-class....driving for fun only and really like winter events - just keep the engine above 4000rpm where turbo

starts to generate the boost, but i know guys who really likes asphalt racing, and precisely preparing their cars, but nobody was confused with lower CR

- choose right type of camshafts and turbo and get spool where you want and according to gear ratios.

Regarding toyota pistons

Photo of drawing for new chamber. Final thickness is 6mm, like on 2.2ltr 3sgte HKS strocker pistons.

Side view of st185/205/215 ans 2jzgte pistons, as you can see pistons are different - chambers, thickness.

Thikness of pistons top.

Height from pistons top to back side.

all together

Finally....i was chasing for lower CR, and found out that best deal for that is using 2jzgte pistons and came to 7.5:1 CR, but there comes 3 problems:
1 - exhaust valve spotfacers must be increased due to mirror position of intake and exhaust 2jz vs 3s

2 - piston skirt must be cutted 3mm because it meets with crank balance weights
3 - new cutout for oil nozzle

If these problems are to deifficult to be sorted out, just choose st205 pistons as they have highest thickness and distance from top of piston bo back side (see pictures).

Guarantee for long and happy life of pistons and rings is correctly programmed ECU, balance of boost, CR and fuel...and of course driver of the car :-)

Last edited by sklopendra on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:06 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Very intersting information...thanks for sharing with us. :D

One question - What size head gasket are you using?

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm 
Clubman

Muddy Water wrote:
Very intersting information...thanks for sharing with us. :D

One question - What size head gasket are you using?

no secrets)

caldina gtt head gasket (st215). It is 1.23mm compressed, stock st205 is 1.14mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:03 pm 
Club Staff

Wow

Excellent R&D effort. It's great to see someone going a different way and getting good results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm 
WRC

indeed, fantastic stuff there.

really is mighty impressive.

out of curiosity how much is a set of standard pistons? i will enquire with tim about this option aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:29 pm 
Group B

How much extra clearance are you running ?
How does this compare with the wear on a typical 100K mile engine ?

As said above, the cost difference for standard vs. forged pistons is probably not great and the forged pistons will take more abuse so for an engine being rebored I would still be inclined to go the forged route.
I'm just pondering the possibility of a bit of heavy duty honing on a worn block and sticking with standard bore to maximise wall thickness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:14 am 
Club Staff

Tremendous to see this kind of R&D described in such detail. Very useful information :mrgreen: Great to see a Caldina side feed TB and plenum. on the red car. Is this an ST185 fitted with a Gen 3 or Gen4 3S-GTE? Very similar setup to my track project. Looks like coil on plug ignition. It would be good to hear the details on the electrical system mods too

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 am 
WRC

certainly some very very nice motors there, and the attention to detail is fantastic.

i just cant help but kind of feel what chris says in that the forged items will be less prone to the adverse affects that could happen from slightly poor conditions.

fantastic to see stock pistons though, well done indeed!!!! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next