www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
Morning all, 5.15am and i'm still going at it lol.

I've borrowed the shop press from the neighbours workshop and having been pressing out 9 hubs, bearings and races for past 9 hours (gotta do it properly ;) )

So here is the situation. Car: st185/crate

My plan is to use the st205 discs as they are an off the shelf part from the local parts store for a reasonable price with wilwood superlites. Commonly for a st185 big brake kit, a spacer is used behind the disc to space out to clear the lower ball joint. Spigot diameter is 55mm, as on the st205, 215 and 246 with a 5x100 pattern. 54.1mm on the 165 and 185

My issue has always been to ensure everything is pretty much perfect on the car, as such, I want the discs to be hubcentric. As I have st205 rear discs (the easy conversion part), i placed them on my celica st20x front axles and the disc is hubcentric when the disc is flat against the axle. NOW.. the spigot on the axle tapers up, so there is only 8mm of 55mm spigot for the disc to fit onto. But the disc bore also tapers up to the top, leaving approx 2 - 3mm of actual 55mm disc bore to fit onto the spigot. This doesn't allow the st205 front disc to be hubcentric (fark.. grr.. you get the picture) movement is upto 1mm.

So with teh st215 rear axles, I'm comparing with the front axles and the rear axle sits out 10mm more than the front. Lightbulb! Possible use of st205/215 rear axles in place of the standard front st20x/21x axles and it will then clear the lower ball joint while being perfectly hubcentric. bell height of st185 disc is 46mm, bell height of st205 is 58mm. No need for extended length studs either (hmm.. maybe i've wasted money already.. sigh)

the diameter of the axle is the same front and rear (like 38mm - need to check again), length is the same, looking at the drive shafts, i'm pretty sure they use the same cv joint front and rear (to confirm but they use the same cv boot, then again toyota and its not like celicas are bespoke with custom parts, its toyota.. they're going to use one thing on most everything like swaybar links on a corolla are same as gt4s).

So now to the question: The rear hubs have the holes for accessing the brake shoes. Do you see an issue using the rear axles as front axles (if they clear the internal bell diameter), or are the rear axles weaker because of the holes, potentially failing if they are used up front. I've already spent a lot of time researching thus far and had concluded that the st20x front axles would keep things hubcentric, but this seems not to be the case. I don't want to bore out discs and hot press a extra spigot ring to keep hubcentric. At the end of the day, i'd rather spend up first with cheap consumables later. Yes, bell and rotor was considered, as well as different brakes, discs and various other combos., but then again, I like a challenge and would like to keep things in the toyota family instead of bespoke solutions.

Pics up soon. I'll take some extra measurements as well if someone has some front discs which they can then measure the internal diameter on please.

Cheers
Dave

and it is nearly 6am.. i should sleep, but then again, if I resolve this in the next 15 minutes, i'm going to stay up, call a wreckers 2 hours away and drive up and get the other rear axles they have, sinply because i have the press at my house now, i'm back at work next week and my time is going to reduce again.

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 pm 
Group N

Just did a simple test with st85 rotors. st205 front axle flange diameter is the same as st185. bell gives slight 5-7mm clearance between inner diameter of disc and outer diameter of axle.
with the st205 rear axle, the flange doesn't fit into the inner diameter of the bell.

Damn it, I thought I had figured out an awesome solution. Oh well :( sleep time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
205 front calipers fit straight on with lexus 296mm 32mm discs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 pm 
Clubman

Your caliper were modified alex, can see it on the pics you put on OC

2nd pics, take a look carefully

Subject: 205 brakes on a 185?

And you need to re drill disc (not a big issue anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:19 am 
New Poster

ah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 am 
Group N

well at this stage, i'm not going to do a hub conversion and i don't want to have to go to engineer to drill new holes in discs everytime i want to change discs. My aim is to be able to get a disc and chuck it on.

so plan is now: r33 gts25t alloy calipers, wrx sti brembo 326x30mm disc, 5mm spacer + 58 dia x 2mm thick ring to make the disc hubcentric.

i've check tolerances with ball joint and using spacer will make the 53mm offset disc down to 48mm, which is only 2mm off standard 46mm st185 offset. that leaves 5mm of clearance from ball joint instead of 7mm which is st185.

may make spacer + hubcentric ring one piece and then i'll press onto 54mm hub spigot. i have some designs in mind of spacer + ring so need to go past engineer to confirm. may even space out 10mm and have some decent meat left on the spacer to account for the transition from flange to spigot

plan in motion - i'm sticking to it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:40 pm 
Group N

the spigot to the wheel hub is 54.1 on ST185 and ST205.

the disk has a bore hole of 55mm. however the part going to the wheel has a 55 mm diameter, for centralising the 205 disk, and a 54.1 on the end part, thus making that standard size fitting.

look carefully at the disk flange face tothe support spiggot, and you'll see the step change from 55 to 54.1mm. hence your comment about 1mm play on the disk.

plastic milk bottles are 0.45mm thick ;) if you cut a thin strip to wrap around a 54.1mm spiggot to fit a ST205 disk.

Darryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 am 
Group N

uh.... no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I don't think that I would use plastic near a brake disc, those things get pretty hot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Sirius wrote:
I don't think that I would use plastic near a brake disc, those things get pretty hot!

Good point! ....unless you drive like a granny I suppose then its not an issue ;-)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp