www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:21 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Great work Martin. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Great work ! But I believe You failed at installing the front brake discs. They normally ventilating from inside out and following this You mounted the discs in the wrong rotation direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:31 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
i believe they are correct as the cooling vents between through disk faces are angled in the direction of rotation ;) i will double check though thanks ;)

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website
http://www.k1ano.co.uk/
http://www.hardcore-pork.co.uk/
:infinity:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Group N

To the moment the vents will taking air inside when the discs rotating, but normaly they should pump air from the center of the disc to the outside.

The prototype of this big brake kit was made for Meurz, who is member here too. He traveled from the Netherlands to UK to AP Racing where the kit was mounted. The guys from AP mounted the discs contrary than You:

Picture linked from Meurz´s website www.turbocelica.nl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 am 
Clubman

Thanks for the picture, I will swap them around then ;)

Martin

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
Clubman

Well the latest update is that ...

The car runs great, had a couple of teething problems ...

1. The ST205 disks needed centralising as the spigott is slightly smaller on the hub (I knew this anyway) so I have sleeved the stud holes on the disks to centre them.
2. The front driver side caliper was catching the inside of the wheel rim under breaking on the drivers side, just needed to nip up the hub-nut as it must have been undone at some stage and not quite torqued up fully leading to run-out of the wheel/disk.
3. The centre prop-shaft bearing grumbles on overrun so will need replacing. As far as I can tell, this isn't the diff which is a ST205 one.
4. The Odyssey Extreme 15 battery doesn't have enough cranking power to start the car reliably, maybe it's degraded or just not upto the job so I need to get a bigger one before I can reliably use the car daily.
5. I may need to adjust the seat position back slightly (they are fixed buckets) but they are VERY comfortable and I could live with the existing postion if needed.

So experiences ...

1. On actuator boost the car is impressive in terms of performance and acceleration - you can really feel the lightness of the car in terms of power to weight ratio. I consider weight-reduction to be the cheapest and safest performance modification ... including driver and passenger LOL
2. When the boost is increased a little with an RV (I have no boost gauge yet so have to be careful) the performance is VERY impressive, a combination of noise (not excessive) and acceleration puts a smile on my face indeed !
3. The front-mount pipes pop off now and again as I do the shake-downs but this is to be expected so I am careful about overtaking any cars or driving in too much traffic - I probably should flare the pipes slightly too. Many of you may know that if boost pipes pop off (even on the ST185/ST165 with air-flow meters) you can still nurse the car along being senstive to the fact the turbocharger will have no boost control and fueling (especially on the ST185/ST165) will be 'off'.
4. The tracking has been done but I am still not 100% on the handling and I need to check tire pressures again. The suspension seems OK but I may look at fitting some coil-overs I have. Whilst I focus on reliability I will not be driving the car in a spirited fashion so will build a picture of my options on suspension.
5. With the car looking like it does with decals and mud-flaps it gets a bit of attention, some unwanted but that's life I guess ... and I used to own a Clio V6 so I am used to it ...
6. Not having a boost gauge or oil-pressure gauge makes me feel a little out of the loop in terms of engine activity but the engine is basically a new Toyota one (well about 5k miles I think) and I am pretty safe with manual boost control and the actuator boost level is safe and makes me smile ...
7. The car being stripped out means a little more noise and smells but this is part of the experience. On a long drive to say Castle Combe I would probably get a bit fed up, especially with the motorways - maybe some means to listen to some music (but not a stero) would also help - perhaps my MP3 player/phone ...

XLarge, I swapped the disks round as thought that was best so thanks for that :-)

Martin

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:54 pm 
Group N

The bigger center bore of the ST205 discs is a well known problem. I solved this by follow Meurz´s guide with a narrow strip of 0,5mm thin sheet metal bend around the hub. As i use bolt on wheel spacers the sheet metal strips can´t move out even if I remove the wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm 
Clubman

XLarge wrote:
The bigger center bore of the ST205 discs is a well known problem. I solved this by follow Meurz´s guide with a narrow strip of 0,5mm thin sheet metal bend around the hub. As i use bolt on wheel spacers the sheet metal strips can´t move out even if I remove the wheels.

Thanks for your input againg :-)

Yes it is well know and I believed I had centred the disc adequately ... I used sleeves on the disc stud holes as there is a larger spacing to work with but both solutions work ...

Martin

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 pm 
Junior WRC

Could you get some nice high res shots from several angles for wallpaper purpose please? I love it! :D

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 pm 
Club Staff

k1ano wrote:
The car being stripped out means a little more noise and smells but this is part of the experience. On a long drive to say Castle Combe I would probably get a bit fed up, especially with the motorways - maybe some means to listen to some music (but not a stero) would also help - perhaps my MP3 player/phone ...

Martin

Maybe one of there?
http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands ... ot-mki9200

It's lightweight and the main box plugs into the stock headunit loom (if you still have that) with a dinky remote display that's easy to mount somewhere. The onboard amp isn't the best but it does work and you could easily mount the rear speakers for thm long trips

Excellent to hear that the project is bearing fruit now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:00 pm 
Clubman

Some final pictures taken over the last few weeks now the car is running :-)

Some outdoor pictures ...

Martin

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm 
Club Staff

Your 165 looks fantastic Martin. You have done a great job of tidying, restoring and improving the car. If it was mine I'd want to baby it and just use it on dry summer weekends and for meets! I hope to see it at an event next year. Thanks for sharing your pics :D

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 am 
Group N

Whow :shock: .

She looks wonderfull. I would ot mind owning a ST165 like that.
Happy motoring.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Clubman

A quick update then ...

I popped down to see Warner Lewis last week to pick up my roll cage and have the rear section fitted, and at the same time catch up with him and Graham (for those of you that know them). So thanks to Warner and great to see his setup and the couple of projects he has on the go and also the Lancia Integrale :thumbsup:

I did take some pictures when I was down there, which will follow later, but here are some pics of the rear section installed that I took in my garage when I got back ...

I didn't have plates welded on the rear arches at this stage as the mounting points are quite substantial, including the tunnel ... in addition, as I understand it, this is a TTE cage listed in the ST165 homologation papers. There are also an additional 8 or so bodyshell mounting points on top of the 7 conventional mounting points (6 legs and 1 tunnel mount) - I may hook these up later but this is a project in itself ...

The following pic shows a boot box which will prove handy :-)

The following pic shows the front cage section which remains to be fitted. Door bars will be made once this is installed as some measurements need to be taken. You can see some tabs on these bars which are in fact the additional body mounting brackets which fix the bars to the pillers etc. to make one very solid cage ...

Martin

Previous GT4's
ST205 WRC #2082 - (sold)
ST185 CS #2682 (sold)
ST165 (sold)
ST185 CS #2867 (RIP)

Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:09 pm 
Club Staff

A bit (miles :lol: ) off topic but......
Shimano wheels?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next