www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 am

Post subject: Which "S"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:42 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
As my shell rebuild is now ready for the roll cage I have moved my attention to the engine and which engine to put into Tipo2

There are several options and I'm not sure which one to go for.

Option One

Rebuild the engine from Tipo1....it has done 230,000 miles so is well bedded in but I am worried that the bores could be ovalised to the point where a rebore is to weakening to the block. The rebuild would be easy though as its a straight fit. is a high milage block going to be weak?

Option Two

A newer or less miles 205 block...but its going into the unknown then but theres likely to be less wear.

Option three

a Caldina block...but are there any issues with using the 205 head etc...are there any bits missing like oil returns etc. would the 205 sump & oil pick up fit??

Option four

Using an SW20 block (datajon recommended this as its a newer block and most of the casting isses had been worked out by the time this block went public) but again does it have everything I need or would I have to add an oil return etc. again would a 205 sump fit

Option Five

A block from a Lexus. Have been told that this is a straight swap over and this is what they used in the WRC Corollas, but again would everything fit???

Option Six

a 5S block, it looks like the water ways dont match but would need to investigate further, perhaps issues with flywheel/clutch and some casting needs to be removed to enable the transfer case to fit. What other modifications would I need to do??? potential for big power though and lots of torque, but is it worth it as I'm not aiming for a 500BHP anyway.

Any other options???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:50 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
The way I would do it.

Have your engine leaktested. If it is leaking on the pistonrings, buy a new block from fennies. If not, use your own block and get the seals replaced.

5s has other things to consider, like no oilsquirters what the 3s engine has to cool the bottom of the cilinders.

ST185 CS #1845

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
Club Staff

if you are staying within sensible torque/bhp limits I would seriously consider using your existing block etc.

If it hasn't blown up / scored the cylinder walls then use it. It is a known quantity and is still sealed and clean inside.

It will need a rebore as it will be oval/banana shaped/have a lip at the top but the level of ovality is normally very small and allows the minimum of an overbore to accomodate 86.25mm pistons. Only engines that have had major failure/ringlands normally fail requirements for 86.25mm pistons.

IMHO the first step is to get your block properly measured to ensure you can overbore the minimum amount. Admittedly you have more miles than most so it is worth checking.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 pm 
WRC

Hi,

once i would start my project new i would go with a beams redtop engine, his VTI and a corolla wrc side feed intake could give a nice engine

i definetly would measure the block until anything will be done, i'am affectetly to use 86,25mm pistons on my gen.4 block becouse i had a 0,04mm ovality on two bores and i'am at 86,07mm

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 pm 
Junior WRC

WRC Lexus block requires Grp A8 spec matching pistons at least, as it's lower than the regular 3S.

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be