www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Post subject: Link G3 into an ST165
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Have just made up an adapter loom for this, so I thought I'd publish the details on here in case it helps anyone in the future.

The assignment of inputs & outputs is copied from a standard adaptalink unit designed for a MK1 MR2.

http://www.cdd.co.uk/stuff/ST165-LEM-G3-wiring.pdf

There are a few odities as follows:

The distributer trigger signals and some analogue sensors (TPS, ECT etc.) are normally Earthed via the ECU. These points must be linked together and returned to the Master Earth on the inlet manifold. Signal E1 is used to do this via the standard loom plugs (this does not go to the Link ECU).

The Link has 2 Earth signals which should be taken separately to the master Earth. I have used E01 and E02 for this. For some reason the adaptalink also connects these together at the ECU end, against their own advice.

On a standard ST165, the fuel pump relay is driven from a contact on the AFM so the fuel pump only runs when there is airflow present (or starter signal as it's a dual coil relay). This signal needs to be passed back down through the loom for the ECU to control. (I will update how this is done after I fit tomorrow).

Photographs to be attached once it's working in the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:57 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Well to update following our day a week or so back, everything worked except the ECU won't see the dizzy signals properly. We wasted several hours and most of the battery charge (laptop included) before discovering the fitted dizzy had very weak output. On fitting the the spare dizzy, the link shows both trigger inputs as having singnals, but still showed 0RPM and was flagging 'trigger faults'

The question is, does the ST165 have a different number of teeth on the 'crank angle' (NE) sensor to the standard 24 tooth used on 185 & 205, or is there something different about the G1/G2 sync signals.