www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am

Post subject: Project st202
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
hey guys.
I have a jdm 202 with the gen 3 3sge engine. i swap it for a gen 2 gte engine (only one available at the time) while using the ge wire loom. the car drives ok but i cant rev to red line. it cuts at 6k and I am not certain why. It does not hit rev limit or any thing but it seems to be starving or something but wont pass 6k. any idea[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am 
New Poster

what ecu are you using?are you using all the 3gte sensors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am 
Group N

needs rev 2 3sgte ecu and ignitor.
or
rev3 ecu and ignitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Plus assuming you're using the turbo it will need the fuel injectors from a gen2 gte engine and the fuel system components, pump and regulator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm 
Group B

If you're using the turbo as a full 3sgte setup then you'll need a matching ECU & sensors. The wiring will be a nightmare though, may be easier to go for an aftermarket ECU. Also, what intercooler are you using ?

If you're just using the engine part, can you confirm how much of the REV2 engine you're using as the heads have different porting / manifolds and injector size may be different.

A word of caution, if you are using the turbo without a matching ECU, avoid using too much throttle as the mixture needs to go rich when on boost to avoid melting pistons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 am 
New Poster

thanks for your input but i will detail my build. the engine is the gen 2 from the sw20 mr2 with original tps. I got a strip engine but I did not mind because i was installing in a fwd celica. the turbo is a t3/t4 50 trim, fmic,extenal wastegate, bov, 3inch exhuast, stage 5 clutch and the works.I had the st202 ecu and loom running the engine with the greddy blue piggy back. I damanged # 2 and 3 pistons last year and I decided to purchase the st205 ecu. I finally got the st205 ecu last month and used the same 202 loom to install it. I rearranged the ecu pins and the engine starts on the first turn. I had the code 54 issue but I solved that my building the bypass circiut with the 5watt buld. I choose the 205 ecu because I dont like air flow meters. I am not sure if the map sensor I have is the 205 or 185 but its the orange cover one and the tps is the original tps on the engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 am 
New Poster

i also have the stock 440cc injectors currently in the car but i have the 540cc but I dont install them. fuel pump is walbro 255lph and the igniter is the one that came with my car-chd1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 pm 
Group B

The 205 ecu is designed for 540cc injectors. I presume the piggyback is correcting the fueling for 440 but I'm not sure which signals are fudged to know what other issues you'll be getting. Apart from anything else, I suspect they will be running out of puff at the higher end and that lines up with your symptoms.

You will also need the 205 map sensor as it goes to a higher pressure than the 185 one, so again you will run out of puff at the top end.

I would strongly suggest you get a wideband AFR meter if you don't already have one if you are going to play with the mapping yourself, or alternatively take it to a professional mapper.

Otherwise, you have some sensible supporting mods so shouldn't run into problems once fuelling is sorted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 am 
New Poster

thanks for that advice. I will install the 540cc injectors and also try to get the map sensor. On the other hand I have aplx wideband installed and I am running very rich especially when i am at wide open throttle. I am running close to 9.2 and if I run say 10psi of boost the car litterally folds up (too rich). I have to increase boost pressure to about 15psi for it to rev but I hit fuel cut as soon as I build 15psi. I want to remove the fuel cut also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
Group B

Going back to the first post where you say it dies at 6K RPM, what does the AFR do as it's approaching 6K ?

How much control do you get over fueling with the piggyback ? is it fully programmable or do you just get a few 'presets' ?

I would still say that the 185 MAP and 440cc injectors are effectively using the wrong area of the map and ending up with the fueling not following the correct curve. It will also put the ignition timing out as it will be retarding for what it thinks is a higher boost. Unless the piggyback has sufficient control to correct all this, I think you need to change to the correct parts.