Group N

Car Model: ST205
Cylinder liners?? :oops: whoops

I'm still thinking type r forum!lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
I'll prolly choke the air line so that there ain't too much pressure going in there, didn't know there was a vent for the cylinder?? Only problem I can see me having wiv the test am doing is tryin to keep the valves closed, don't see the point indoin the test at the top of the stroke for each cylinder as then the pressure won't be gettin to the cylinder anyway. Does anyone know if the valves are closed at the bottom of each cylinder stroke?? As that way the whole cylinder is getting pressurised.

Cheers for the help guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am 
Group N

I meant the crank case breather but thought you were just talking about a crack in the block it self, not the cylinder wall.at bdc I'm not sure to be honest in the 3s-gte, is possible though, the four stoke cycle suggests that the valves will be shut for an awful lot of the power stroke but theres possibly some overlap. I would of thought that depending on where a potential crack is, you would have lesser or greater effects.right near the bottom of the stroke and you may never notice whereas near the top of the stoke the crack would be exposed for longer and at greater pressures during the compression and power stroke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
New Poster

Well, as i didnt manage to get round to lookin at the car yesterday, i did it today. It all started a bit worryingly however, i took the CC out the way but didnt disconnect the water pipes and took the plug leads out only to discover a load of oil in each plug hole, with the plugs still in!! It took me a while to work out how or why the oil got there, until i thought about the rocker leaking into each plug hole, and as it turned out, thats what it was. The rocker had been removed by the previous owner and was just flung back on without the bolts being tightened properly!! Anyway i took it off and just re fitted the old gasket with sealant for now as i had that lying around. Panic over lol.

Anyway while the rocker was off i decided to do the test with my compressor down each cylinder, as it was easier to see when the valves would be closed for each cylinder. Anyway long story short there was no indication of any bubbles in the radiator after doin the same test to each cylinder, and i know it was pressurized each time as it actually made the engine turn till the pressure released lol.
I did notice that the plugs that where in it had too big a gap, so fitted new ones with the correct gap, which has made it accelerate better, although i am still getting the vapour out of the DV, So am just gonna get it ready for a day 1/4 mile racing and that way i can actually give it a run once i get there and see what the script is.

Does anyone know where i could take a sample of the radiator water to get tested for hydrocarbon in the glasgow area of Scotland? As i might take a sample to get tested to put my mind at ease.

Cheers John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm 
Club Staff

As far as I know you can buy the hydrocarbon kits of the shelf and you test it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 pm 
New Poster

cool, i'll have a look in my local motor shop, cheers.