www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:27 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hello good people of the GT4 owning community 8)

I am thinking of buying another 4 some time in the near future, only problem is I now live in France were we drive on the wrong side of the road, a very dangerous idea imo. :roll:

LHD ST205's are rarer that a blue French steak. There are a few for sale but I think they are being sold by a desperate Greek government trying to clear all it's debts in one crafty foul sweep. They are hideously expensive.

So my question to you lot is this. How realistic is it to convert a 4 so I can drive it whilst sitting in the wrong seat? What parts list would be needed?

So far I can think bulkhead, pedal box, steering rack, and a dash board (or a periscope set up so I can see what's going on from over there) :D .

What else do you think I might need? I could buy an old 202 to strip the dash and interior bits out of. Any one know if the bulkhead is different between the 202 and the 205, would I be able to use the 202 bulkhead? I know the rack is different and I would probably have to buy a new one (gulp, how much do you reckon?) and what about the crossmember?

I would have to get a UKDM as they are very strict about imports here and might even have to get the car certified if it's converted to lhd but I could cross that bridge if it came to it. Oh and one more thing, what would be the chance of getting a European certificate of conformity (another reason for not getting an import).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:07 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST205
I know this has been done - i believe a Lithuanian bloke bought a UK car and converted it over to LHD specification.
Also might be a good idea to check out www.6gc.net as its a us based forum and a few have got ST205's that have / are in process of being converted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 pm 
Clubman

Found it thanks Johnny. You da man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:49 pm 
Club Staff

I'm not sure what would be easier, converting a RHD to LHD or converting and ST202 to run the ST205 running gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm 
Group N

...And on that note there was a greek fellow who did just that, but I can't find the ancient thread on the interwebs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:47 pm 
Group N

crossy68 wrote:
LHD ST205's are rarer that a blue French steak. There are a few for sale but I think they are being sold by a desperate Greek government trying to clear all it's debts in one crafty foul sweep. They are hideously expensive.).

Hi bud, glad to see you back...you weren't kidding...13000euros for an st205 from Italy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm 
Clubman

Thanks Nial, nice to be back, even if it won't be for a year or two, I have to start earning money 1st.

I really wouldn't want a 202, lots of work I would think. Having looked at the job of converting rhd to lhd it seems quite easy. Probably a couple of months gentle faffing in spare time. I joined the site but can't log on :-( Only thing I was left wondering was what rack was used, the subframes are showing the same part number.

Main thing is it would still be a GT4, over here they are really funny about modifications to cars and you have to jump through hoops of fire to register anything without a cert of EU conformity. Once I got a UK car registered there's not really any reason not to pass it's CT (MOT) every two years.

Plan is, buy a UK 4 and a French 202 for €1-2k and strip it naked for all it's useful bits, pedal box, dash etc. Swapping the bulkhead looks so easy it's untrue, once you have the engine and dash out that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
Club Staff

Is there any reason you have to make the conversion? There are plenty of LHD cars in the UK. I myself had a LHD Corrado G60 in the UK for a little while with no issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:38 am 
Clubman

Overtaking in RHD is a pain in the arse and in a GT4 it's something I intend to be doing a lot of. Then there is the foreigner thing, you all ways look like a foreigner sitting on the wrong side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 am 
Group N

By the sound of the price difference, it may also be an investment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:02 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
ever thought about buying another car that is LHD? WRX or Evo perhaps?

You affinity for the ST205 should be praised, but thats a boat load of work just to drive around in a st205.

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:20 am 
Club Staff

Hi Crossy. Good to see you back.
I've just a thought...try PMing Bozo Merlin on here. He lives in France and is an authority on GT4's albeit ST185s. He may know of something, be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
Clubman

Thanks for all the welcome backs, nice to know I have not been forgotten.

DeeCee wrote:
ever thought about buying another car that is LHD? WRX or Evo perhaps?

You affinity for the ST205 should be praised, but thats a boat load of work just to drive around in a st205.

How dare you? :shock:

I have driven EVO's and really don't rate them, the Celica is a fast tourer, the EVO would just get on my *bleep*, and it looks like a taxi. I don't like the three box approach much.

The idea of an investment hadn't crossed my mind, honest :twisted: There is that side of things.

It would be quite an easy conversion from what I can see, a bit of re routing wiring and a new dash. The bulkhead looks like a really easy job, it's just a small panel that's welded into the main bulkhead. The subframe's the same I just need to find out about the rack, as far as I know they are different to the 202's and the lhd & rhd ones are obviously different.

If it does go ahead I will do a comprehensive write up with pictures but it will definitely not be for another 12 months at least, I still have a couple of rooms to renovate here and then I have a new business to start so I can earn money to pay for it all :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:52 pm 
Group N

Of course I dare haha. There should always be a counter arguement :)

This is the conversion:
http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/inde ... pic=105002

Trying to find it on 6gc, but the website is down at the moment. If you remember a build that a guy did for his wife, had flowers on the seats and a blacked out roof..

http://ra64freddy.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 435908.jpg

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
Clubman

Yeh, that's the one, it was someone called Vinchix