www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
I've bought a universal fuel pressure reg to fit to my 185.
My local garage says that I need a special plate to fit into fuel rail so the original regulator can be removed and new one fitted.

I've no idea how to do it and weather or not this is true. Can anyone advise please in any way if they have done one before or whatever?

Regards jon

1998 mercedes E280- sold
1998 pug 1.9 td- mile muncher!
1993 rx7 542hp savage monster!!
2007 BMW 335i- in the shop gettin built!! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
The standard fuel pressure regulator screws into the fuel rail at one end. On the 185 rail it's at the end nearest the fuel filter, on the 205 it's at the cambelt end. (you'll have the fuel rail for the engine fitted with 205 injectors). It looks a bit like the startship enterprise with a big round dish on top.

This is unscrewed, and a fitting is put in it's place to allow a pipe up to the aftermarket FPR. The thread for the fitting is the same as the others in the fuel system of M12x1.25mm.

The fensport kit comes complete with a banjo fitting with an exit for a pipe, or you can just use a straight screw in fitting with pipe outlet.

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbocharger- ... 1e6cebd5e7

The other large end of the FPR plumbs back to the return pipe you just removed from the standard FPR.
There is also a small vac. hose which comes from the manifold to the top of the standard FPR. This must be plumbed to the control input of the new FPR.

The FPR is effectively a pressure relief valve. When the fuel rail pressure exceeds the pre-set pressure, the valve opens and bleeds the excess back to the tank. The pressure is set by a combination of the adjustment and the vac pressure, so that a constant pressure is maintained across the injectors.

If you're stuck I have a spare filter to rail hose with banjo that may be persuaded to work, plus I'll be in Weymouth this evening.