www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:36 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
In preparation for my new engine I've been looking at ways to nicely measure the oil temperature.

At the moment I measure the oil temperature with a sensor housing mounted in the line going out to my extra oil cooler. This is not ideal as the pipe only has flow once the thermostat has opened although you do still get to see the peak oil temps.

I plan now to measure the oil temperature in the sump and have got a UK sump that I planned to utilise the hole and mounting for the oil level sensor.

I was planning on making up my own mounting plate which would bolt to the sump using the existing points and then have a hole for my sensor to fit in. However when I investigated the level sensor a neater and possibly easier solution presented itself (possibly)

The level sensor disassembles into a couple of different bits - the bit that bolts to the sump has two pins for an electrical connector already in place

One of the pins goes straight to that soldered bit, the other seems to go to the housing metal. Here is my plan, I know that my oil temperature sensors run on a 10k ohm thermistor, I was wondering if I can simply solder a suitable thermistor into place on the housing and just use that, I am not sure if it will need protecting in some fashion from the oil? Given that the sensor already has wiring etc I thought this could be quite neat. The main problem I see at the moment is that the wiring plug is damaged:

Question for one of the electrical bods - can this be repaired? Can you get new insides for the connectors?

Think this will work?

Apologies this post has ended up waaay longer than I intended. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:54 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
One word of caution using the standard hole, I remember reading recently that the oil seal is formed on the round part of the hole. Apparently the plate welded top the sump to hold the fixings is only spot welded and oil can seep behind it. Can't remember where I read it or who wrote it.

The connector can be repaired if you happen to know where to poke to release the pin. I usually end up breaking them first.

I wouldn't like to guarantee how good an insulator oil is once it has picked up loads of contaminants such as carbon, metal particles etc. IMO you're better off using an off the shelf encased probe and drill & tap an appropriate size hole in the old level sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 pm 
WRC

Hi,

it can be done, you need a needle to get the old pin out of the housing ant then you buy the correct ones from RS components :)

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 pm 
Group B

You can re-use the old one if you solder the wire to it. Not many people have suitable crimp tools anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
T'was ADorris who posted the information on leaky level sensor issues in his build thread

Mike, how about using the threaded hole on top of the oil pump?