www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:24 am

Post subject: Tracktoy Aero
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Thought I'd start a separate thread on my track toy aerodynamics.

The standard WRC type rear wing is non adjustable other than removing the raiser blocks. I understand that if you remove the raiser blocks the wing element simply becomes a spoiler i.e. kills any lift. A better solution offering the possibility of adjustability is the TRD wing. The central wing element is secured to the end supports with two bolts through slots offering a small amount of adjustability. I believe that if the wing produces any sort of downforce then the bolts will slip on the slot. This is why race cars use end supports drilled with multiple holes.

Although I have a TRD carbon rear wing it turns out that it weighs exactly the same as the GRP version so I've elected to use the latter version obtained from Nibbles ST205 when he replaced it with a WRC wing.

I will probably stick with the standard centre wing section initially. If I need to tweak it to produce more downforce than available on maximum incidence a gurney flap is always an option. You can buy these with double sided tape here:

In the pic of the Supra below you can see the general idea of changing the centre section on this TRD rear wing which still uses the end supports. The wing here is a commonly available twin element design modified to fit with end adaptor plates. This design would likely give more downforce than the TRD+Gurney at lower speed.

More to come.......... :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
I recall seeing that the all carbon evo time attack car has the same gurney flap stuck onto the very tip of the boot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 pm 
Group N

Hi Don i have the TRD adj rear wing and even though it is adj its not much so by swapping out the square retainers with egg shaped or round ones and or M6 s/steel camber type bolts it gives you a lot more pitch on the blade oh and plaster bolts in copper slip lol Cost for this mod 1hr lab + £12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm 
Group N

That TRD wing would be cool if you could fit small motors into it that adjusted the angle of the wing depending on speed etc. I'm sure that wouldnt be beyond your obvious modding talent with cars. Would be an interesting challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 pm 
Club Staff

I think the early wings on F1 cars had servo's before they were banned as 'moveable aerodynamic devices'. Of course, now that DRS is allowed, it makes life 'interesting' behind the wheel trying to cope with the change in balance of the car.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 am 
Club Staff

Don't do it. If you want it adjustable in cockpit think about a Bowden cable setup - simpler is more reliables

Otherwise fix front bolt holes and use a turnbuckle in the middle to provide adjustment and stability