www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:39 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Sounds like I've missed something, thankfully :lol: It's so nice not to go on a forum and end up with blood boiling. Life's too short to be bothered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Hm, well, to be fair he hasn't really tried. He never took it back to Ryan to be looked at as various bits/upgrades/bits breaking or what have you... meant it made more sense to get it remapped when he's added the pile of bits due to go on the car lol.

It's a hard situation Ferdy as you know. I have a massive amount of time for a lot of the guys on there, which is why I signed back up in the first place. But with things as they are I don't feel I can contribute in anyway. With the amount of texts/calls/pm’s I got it’s obvious I’m not alone in feeling like your treading on egg shells. I personally feel the mark of a good forum is one where people are encouraged to share their opinion no matter what, without sitting there in fear or the abuse they are about to receive.

Fair to say my contribution will go back to sod all on there.

Fortunately I remembered I can say what I like here without that fear :)

Ironic as it was only a few weeks back I was trying to get Chris back on there as politics was at an all time low rofl. Sorry Chris, I was wrong lol.

I don't feel I want to be a part of a club with issues in free speech as they are. However despite that, I'll be there as a guest of my dad, or I'll happily pay £20 for that event alone, without fail Ferdy :) .

It's a shame it is as it is, but as you know, if it was down to me, I'd merge all gt4/celica clubs and folks would have to share the reigns like it or not lol. Or at least merge the events sections lol.

Round world last time I checked lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 pm 
Clubman

Yes, of course I understand Dan, just really pleased that you feel it will be worthwhile joining just for Prescott if nothing else.

Great idea about the clubs joining forces for major events, one big stand with all our banners and cars combined would be great, then we could field a far greater selection of GT-FOUR's for other petrol heads to admire but I fear that too many people have too much baggage for this to happen.

Still, I like a challenge!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
Club Staff

Guys,
Can I politely ask you not to derail Donna's thread too much (without treading too hard on your freedom of speech Dan :lol:)

Lord knows we've all had our little issues and I think many of us share the frustration but we do try to keep the partisanism off the forums. Remind me at the next drunken campfire and I'll happily bend your ear/blow dry your hair on the subject :lol:

Ferdy,
Attempts have been made in the past - anyone is more than welcome to attend a DC meet wherever they hail from. I would love to see a return tho the good old Guildford meet days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:18 pm 
Group N

Indeed apologies Steve/Donna lol :D

Look forward to trying to bring the clubs together somehow Ferdy :) lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm 
Clubman

Animal66 wrote:
Indeed apologies Steve/Donna lol :D

Look forward to trying to bring the clubs together somehow Ferdy :) lol

That's no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 pm 
Clubman

I've just been chatting to emerald about their ecu.
For some strange reason they sell the knock sensors etc but have told me it doesn't really work with their ecu. Why bother selling the sensors then??? Apparently they have a knocking sensing chip in the ecu but are no longer using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm 
Group B

Something that should be mentioned on this thread is whether you really want an aftermarket ECU.

Toyota put many hundreds if not thousands of hours into the mapping and safeties built into the standard ECU. Throwing that away and starting again is a big step which shouldn't be taken lightly.

Although there are people out there who will 'map your ECU for £250', you need to be aware what you get for the money. You will get a 'generic map' which will be tweaked on the day of the mapping session to be a bit closer to correct in a few places. The fuelling will be close but a bit lumpy & bumpy, as will the ignition. It will only have been set at one air temperature and one barometric pressure. Wait until a frosty morning / midsummer day and you are relying on someones guess at correction factors. Ditto driving up into some mountains. To map an ECU as well as the standard one will cost many thousands.

With only minor mods, the only power & ecconomy gains to be had with an ECU change will come from reducing the safety margins built in by Toyota. Fuel on cruising is closed loop so no gains there, only by running weaker on boost - i.e. much hotter cylinder temperatures running closer to the limits of the piston. Timing can gain a bit more power & ecconomy over the whole range by running that bit closer to detonation. Again, this will give the pistons - and big & little ends - a much harder time.

So, we reduce the safety margins put in by Toyota, we guess at correction factors for climate differences, and in many cases remove the only safety interlock (knock detection). What are the gains on a near standard engine ? maybe about 20 BHP if we're lucky, measured on the dyno on the day of mapping. The likely outcome is an engine rebuild sooner rather than later. (Ask some of the engine builders how many engines they see with failed ringlands which were running aftermarket ecu's)

To summarise, I would consider an aftermarket ecu only if I wanted to run the engine beyond the map limits of a standard ECU - i.e. higher boost or higher RPM than the inbuilt limits. This would either be on a forged engine, or on borrowed time.
Alternatively, other special factors such as wanting to use different fuel such as ethanol or methanol. In my case, I've fitted my link G3 to my 205 to take advantage of the dual mapping. I'm now running more ignition advance on LPG (106RON and slower flame speed) and made the fuel mapping more accurate on LPG. I've gained about 5% ecconomy and a massive gain in responsiveness. I've never measured petrol ecconomy but I don't doubt it's worse. Responsiveness and power on petrol is certainly worse, but then I've deliberately mapped for safety as it's a road car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 pm 
Clubman

Chris,
I'm looking for an after market ecu for a valid reason.
Currently I'm running a piggy back ecu running around 330bhp on standard internals.

I've decided this year that I'm going to do my best to save the pennies and go for a forged engine. I'm probably going to aim For around the 400bhp mark. fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

First step was going to be to find a half decent ecu for around 1k
Second save aprox 5k for build and turbo. Set it up running low boost run her in etc.
And finally get the supporting mods fuelling cooling etc. Then map her to the desired level with safety in mind. I'd rather run the engine well within its limits.

Yes I know this sounds like the long winded way about doing things but if I take it slowly then it will give me more time to save etc. Also gives me a bit of a buffer if I realise I need extra bits.

I totaly agree I don't want to sped £250 on a very rough map with poor idle etc. I want it done properly and I will spend the money to get it done. I would just like to keep the costs down in certain places if possible. The fundamental items will have no corners cut. It's pointless spending all this money only to damage or blow her up.

Great advice though, I wouldn't bother with a standalone just to gain 20bhp on a standard engine.

It's a shame your ecu is at such early stages.

Before all of this I need to fix my dam brakes :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 pm 
Group B

My last post wasn't aimed at you particularly, but I thought it was worth raising the point as many people will probably refer to threads like this one.

If you are aiming for forged build and higher boost there's a lot to be said for getting the ECU fitted & debugged on an engine you aren't too woried about destroying. Also a good oppertunity to try map tweaking yourself if you want to learn.

Also bear in mind that if you have the gauges and warnings in place, you can afford to cut down on safety margin as you can monitor that things are staying safe.

There is also a lot to be said for piggybacks / signal fudgers. These retain the smoothness, accuracy and safeties of the standard ECU but allow you to tweak mixture and timing in certain areas to reduce safety margin and gain efficiency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm 
Clubman

I didn't think so.

That was my thoughts about the ecu as well. If I did buy second hand one and it had issues then its not such a disaster if it had problems.

I would love to learn about mapping. I'm just too scared about doing it on my car. I'd rather not blow her up. If I had an old banger then maybe.

The down side is the piggy backs is that they don't have a lot of adjustments. Mine has very little room left for changes. If I wanted more power I would have no choice other than to go for a standalone. Do you know what these are worth second hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am 
Club Staff

Hi Donna,

Out of interest do you know which version it is you have of the Dastek unichip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 pm 
Clubman

Dastek unichip Q
It has boost control and room for multiple maps.

Has anyone had experiance with the AEM EMS 4
I've been given a good price on a unit brand new.
I've been told this supports knock control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Group B

There's a company on CCUK currently selling off AEM stuff, is that where you're looking ?

Just checked the spec, you may find 8 inputs/outputs a bit limiting.

i can't find any more advanced data about the knock input and whether you need an extra box to interface to the standard sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm 
Clubman

I haven't come across the guys on ccuk.
I have spoken to future Motorsport to see what they can offer. They gave me the choice of omex or AEM
The AEM seems a good price.