www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Just been reading a thread on the MoTeC forum and saw an interesting post that's relevant to the oil temperature discussion - no idea on how accurate the information is I post it simply for comment. :)

Quote:
A good synthetic oil will tolerate 200 degrees for short periods of time (mineral oil can be as low as 120 degrees) but what you have to keep in mind is that the oil temperature is not the same everywhere in the engine. The oil is at its hottest when it is in contact with the under side of the piston, on a turbo engine this is likely to be about 75 degrees hotter than the oil in the oil pump. So (depending on where you are measuring your oil temp) with readings of 150 degrees the oil could be seeing temperatures around 220 degrees. Of course oil will not fail instantly but if it is exposed to temps above 200 degrees it will break down over a period of time and its ability to lubricate the engine will degrade. Keeping the temperature below 130 degrees allows for the fact that the oil is going to be about 75 degrees hotter in parts of the engine where it is not practical to measure it. I would normally aim for 100 - 110.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm 
Group N

seems like common sense, 200 degrees is high mind you. I wonder what is considered a prolonged period of time for the oil to degrade.

Its inline with the sorts of temperatures that you would expect on the track, I certainly wouldnt be getting to 130 degrees before backing off on my setup, it puts an awful lot of strain on the coolant system.

good find though :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 pm 
Club Staff

Interesting, seems that my speculation re the oil squirters to the underside of the pistons being the hottest place for oil in the engine corresponds to Think. Obviously you can't measure that so the nearest spot would be the sump.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:48 am 
Group N

It would be interesting to measure the difference between the sump temps and oil filter supply temperatures to see what kind of differences would be seen. This could better aid people when deciding where to place their temp senders. It cant be massive can it :P