www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 pm

Post subject: Gauges
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Having had a break from all things GT4 for the last 18months or so, getting the old girl out of the garage this week has reignited my enthusiasm and love of the 4. (It is true that absence makes the heart grow fonder!)

I always had gauges on my 'to do' list (along with many other items!) but never really got around to buying any. As a result it is now time to start thinking about these again.

Back in the day Greddy gauges were the dogs dinglies, they then fell out of grace and everyone was talking about Defi units but as opinions and products change, I’m interested in the general consensus on what is considered the best type of gauges these days?

I'm not planning to go mad and monitor everything! (Sometimes its possible to have TOO much information!)
But I do want to address the shortcomings of the standard setup and so am looking at replacing my current boost gauge and investing in an oil pressure gauge and possibly an oil temp gauge (unless there is one that will do both?)

I will also be looking at hosing of said gauges and I am not convinced whether a display unit (like the Defi) or a pillar pod setup would be my best option so views and opinions on that would also be appreciated.

Super White JDM ST205
http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject: Re: Guages
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:32 pm 
Club Staff

Gauges are a very personal thing. I like the Defi DIN 3 gauge display which does oil pressure, oil temp and water temp. Fits in the centre binnacle and looks pretty much like an OEM fitting. Boost and EGT are also useful. I plan on re-using my old Greddy boost and EGT gauges, possibly mounted on the Hyper Sport A pillar two gauge pod I've had for ages. If you decide to go this route I have a spare if you are interested. I don't think they are made any more and the company no longer exists.

I'm sure other opinions/preferences will be voiced!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:05 pm 
Club Staff

Don, Thanks for the offer. I'm intelligence gathering at the moment, but if I do go down the pillar pod route I may well take your spare off your hands.
I’m a bit ‘old skool’ in so much that I don’t do rows of text and figures not helped by the fact that I struggle with numbers (I’m sure I have number dyslexia!)
So I am probably leaning towards the pillar mount method however as above, things change so I don’t necessarily want to invest in old tech if something much better is now available!

Super White JDM ST205

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:28 pm 
Club Staff

I think in your situation I would get the defi 3 gauge unit - 3 little analogue gauges that can sit in a radio slot - same as Don has. This is a really neat setup. Then I would probably just get a little single pod mount for a boost gauge and sit this on the dash tucked in the corner above the drivers air vent.

Great to see you back on the forum :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
In my opinion the car should do the gauge monitoring and alert you when things are going astray. A unit that does this and allows you to watch just one or 2 selected sensors is the ideal IMO rather than a massive array of dials that you never have time to look at when they need watching the most. Can't make reccomendations as I don't know what such units are on the market (I think there are some at £££) other than the one I'm developing which should be on the market proper by autumn (see separate thread).

As above, gauges are down to personal preference.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm 
Club Staff

Chris, I have been reading your thread with interest.
I have to be honest tho, most of it goes well over my head and although I get the gist of what you are planning I fear it may prove to be much more than I need?
I am in no rush for a solution, hell I've managed the last 10 or so years with just the boost gauge which I had in Penny (rip) many many moons ago!
But I would like to be able to monitor oil pressure at the very least in the future, the old girl ain't getting any younger and although she doesn't do many miles now, things do wear out.

Super White JDM ST205

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 pm 
Club Staff

Mike :D I too am glad to be back!
It's been a long time!

Super White JDM ST205

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:46 pm 
Club Staff

oooh blimey - elo old timer.

1) the comment regarding alerting of "stuff happening" has always been a popular aspect and IMHO ideal for fast road scenario as much as race/track application.

2) my RC has a pillar pod and 2 or 3 guages mounted in it - maybe it is my odd Gorilla shape but whilst the guages are clearly in line of vision they also increase the A-pillar thickness/obscure cars on roundabouts and I have removed them.

As such my thoughts are that a logging device with a peak hold and warning alarm are ideal.

If you are really getting back into the GT4 thing are you going to fit the power fc? The only reason I ask is that some items will be monitored already.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:50 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:
If you are really getting back into the GT4 thing are you going to fit the power fc? The only reason I ask is that some items will be monitored already

Good call!

Do you have a list of parameters that are monitored?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:39 pm 
Club Staff

monitor list for the hand controller:-
You can select bteween 1 and 8 items to monitor with a peak hold facility.

You can now select which items you wish to monitor from the menu below

InjDuty - Injector Duty / How busy the injectors are
IgnTmng - Ignition Timing - Camshaft timing
AirFlow - Airflow meter voltage
PimVolt - Map Sensor voltage
Eng Rev - Engine revs
Speed - Road speed
Boost - Boost Pressure (requires optional boost kit fitted)
Knock - Knock sensor reading
WtrTemp - Water temperature or engine temperature
AirTemp - Air inlet temperature
BatVolt - Battery voltage

Not that many of them are that helpful but no point monitoring boost and water temp elsewhere.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Just to add that I'm running Defi gauges (water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost) in my track car but rigged up to the Defi head-up display.
(reflects up on to the windscreen)
I like the idea of the head up display on the windscreen to give me a quick reference glance without taking my eyes off the road/track.
Also, and most importantly, I like the Defi ability to have an audible warning setup.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm 
Club Staff

OK so I have made in-roads into this.
Regardless of the final setup I do need to retire the current double Din stereo which will free up some space in the centre console for gauges/displays/whatever I choose in the future.

As a result I have been enjoyably engaged in choosing a new single Din unit that will allow me to have some sounds on the rare occasions the old girl gets to see daylight and also give me scope for future plans.
My search criteria were typically 'girlie'. Top of the list was the ability to be able to change the display and button colours (I want to be able to 'match' it to the rest of the car!) and then in descending order:
Price
CD
USB
Aux in
SD Card
iPod/iPhone controller
Bluetooth

I have finally decided on the JVC KD-SD631 as it ticks more boxes than most and also allows scope for future improvements (eg adding Bluetooth if I find I can't live without it - unlikely!)

The only decision now is where can I buy it cheapest!

Super White JDM ST205

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 pm 
Group B

I've been very impressed with the sound quality of the 2 jvc car stereos I've bought in the last 5 years, much better than sony or panasonic I've had before. Mechanical quality has been not so good though, suffering poor connections between the removable front and the base if taken out every night. Not such a problem on a car that only goes out twice a year ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
You wont go far wrong with a JVC unit.
The ones I have had were brilliant.

Always worth checking out Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-SD631-Stereo-System-Reader/dp/B0070I4YQ6
and of course eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-KD-SD631-Car-Stereo-CD-MP3-WMA-Player-Front-USB-Aux-In-SD-Tuner-iPod-iPhone-/251000961350

It appears there's a newer model to this: JVC KD-R641 and not much more expensive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-R641-Stereo-Front-iPhone/dp/B00B59P27G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce/279-3631665-0220549

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm 
Club Staff

Thanks for the link Muddy, I agree it does look good but it does not appear to have the SD slot which I have become quite attached to the idea of (LOL I haven't even bought the bloody thing yet!!)

So now I have decided on stereo, the spotlight of research has swung onto the original scope of gauges!

I have been having a look around and REALLY like the simplicity of the Defi Din gauges: http://www.defi-shop.com/products/din/summary_din
BUT I have 2 concerns over this solution.
1. My original scope was for gauges to monitor oil temp, oil pressure and boost pressure, but Defi say
Quote:
the DIN-Gauge is a 1-DIN sized triple meter for providing information on one pressure and 2 kinds of temperatures.
Which is the wrong way round for my requirements :?
2. It is not expandable and whilst my original scope is only for 3 gauges, I might want to change my mind in the future (well I am a girl!)

A bit more looking has revealed a ‘triple meter package’ which nicely fits the requirements http://www.defi-shop.com/products/advance_set/summary_triple It is expandable BUT there is no ‘nice’ mounting solution that I can see :( and I don’t really fancy the 'Blue Peter' Perspex blanking plate with cut-outs for the gauges that I have seen before (I would like the install to look as professional and/or ‘stock’ as possible)

Theoretically the only other Defi solution available that isn’t going to cost the world is the Defi-Link Display. I would need to mount that in the single din slot above the nice new stereo. Again this has no ‘nice’ mounting solution and more importantly it doesn’t have gauges, it is just a text/number display which may not be the best solution for me :oops: .

So the spotlight of research is going to swing away from Defi for the moment.
I am going to investigate single Din blanking plate availability etc and also seriously consider whether I am really going to ‘look’ at the gauges or just rely on alarms for early warning . . .

Something like this would be FAB!

Anyway, i'll update this thread with all developments and research until I find my perfect solution. . . . .

Super White JDM ST205