www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:29 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:30 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
so... it owuld be a good thing to have for tuning in future?

I've gota Velocitytuningwerks fuel pressure regulator with pressure gauge ready to go in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:04 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Quote:
it owuld be a good thing to have for tuning in future?

I think this adds versatility to an installation?

Personally from my current understanding I would rather fit larger injectors vs fitting an adjustable pressure regulator and upping the rail pressure.

My current thinking is that upping the rail pressure puts more strain on the "system", and more importantly heats up the fuel more than a lower pressure system?

Maybe with very much larger injectors getting the spray/mist may be an issue, and so upping the rail pressure may cure this?

For mere mortals I suspect that just simply exchanging the injectors for larger ones would suffice, without the added expense and complexity of an adjustable FPR?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:17 pm 
Clubman

I wasn't intending on upping the pressures by much at this stage... just making sure it's constant.
After fitting my Walbro pump, after a hard rev, when I let the car coast in idle, the revs drop to about 400-600, and this only started happening after I got the fuel pump. Would it be due to fuel starvation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:25 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Brilliant, I love threads like with loads of info in, it's what the clubs about :D

To add to the mix, when I get my fueling uprated, I'm thinking I will need an adjustable FPR. I have the SARD 800cc injectors and a Walbro 255 in-tank pump already. I plan on getting the Wolfkatz fuel rail (185 remember) and so I'm assuming that the larger rail will mean lower pressure with the standard unit, so I'd need a decent FPR to recover this?

This being the case, does anyone have experience with the SARD FPRs and be able to recommend one? Ultimately, I aim to be running around 1.4 bar on the TD06 with a worked over head - my target is safe, reliable high spec as opposed to a specific bhp figure. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:23 pm 
Junior WRC

Quote:
so I'm assuming that the larger rail will mean lower pressure with the standard unit

Not strictly true………, the return line from the f/ rail, goes via the f/reg, this will regulate the fuel flow, thus inducing fuel rail pressure as per stock level approx..... this by no means is suitable...

A simple way would be:

If you look at filling two drums up using a garden hose, set at a predetermine flow rate, one container being a dustbin, the other a bucket, they both have different volumes, but once full to over flow, both will pass the same volume of fluid over time.

High flow pumps, in some cases, will cause an increase to some degree, to fuel rail pressure, as the volume of return flow from rail/pump etc can be much greater than a stock regulator return though put allows for, (bottle neck), thus an increase to f/rail pressure can accrue.

Looking into the fuelling system of the 3sgte/gt4, I would not push any engine without a suitable fuelling system, this would be:

Improved fuel lines/ fuel pump, fuel regulator, with a fuel collection swirl tank, thus guaranteeing a constant fuel supply at al times to the fuel rail.

Vehicles with high levels of grip and power, fuel in the tank will be forced away from the pump pickup, the design of the stock set-up is fair, but no means suitable for high levels of power & track use …unless you keep the tank topped up to the upper level.

I have on occessions incurred moments of low fuel pressure with dropping oil pressures especially heavy braking into corners, anything under 1/3 of a tank is a dangerous zone to enter into..

Have others monitored fuel pressures , on the move..

project six million dollar 185, faster, stronger, lighter than before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Some good points Jon...worthy of note is that the ST205 fuel tank is not baffled...

Not heard of many issues with the diameters of the stock fuel supply/return lines for upto 500hp/tq

Fuel rails on the other hand have been looked at a couple of times, with I "think" it fair to say the 185 rail in need of an upgrade if say >350hp/tq required.

Think the guys from Wolfkatz did a fairly comprehensive investigation?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk