www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:47 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST205
Ok, Ive got the POOR manual for this device and for the life of me can't get this thing set up right..
Whatever settings I try, boost climbs too slow for my liking, bunny hops, or boosts up then tapers off towards the end of the rev range.

If you look at their joke of a manual, I cant seem to figure out how to dial in the stock actuator pressure (0.8 bar i believe)
There is a way to get it to learn this but can't figure out how to do this either....
Any help would be appreciated.
So far, I have offset set to 100% (default) because changing this just confused me and made my blood boil!!!!

(I'm temped to strip this out, sell it, and buy one with a decent manual!!)

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/faq/PID=1647.html

mine is the kpa version (why 2 manuals????? they are just 2 different units of pressure no?)
I have stock ecu, stock turbo and stock actuator.

here are my notes i have so far on it :-

Mode 1 - Scramble setup mode - do not change for the time being
Mode 2 - Scramble Time Setup Mode - do not change for the time being
Mode 3 - Warning Setup mode - boost will return to stock (baseline) if this level is hit.
Mode 4 - sets the range of the bar graph (250 scale is stock) 130 should look good.
Mode 5 - backlight brightness adjust
Mode 6 - Set Lock Code - do not change for the time being until eveything is setup..
Mode 7 - Offset Setting for Mode A - default is 100 - later on when things are set up right try 150 or 75.
Mode 8 - Offset Setting for Mode B - default is 100 - later on when things are set up right try 150 or 75.
notes -
The higher you put the offset the more response you will get out of the turbo but you will notice that your peak boost is lower.
The lower you put the offset the more peak boost you will see with less response. I found when trying to hold 24psi a lower number
works best. I believe mine is set around 70. This only holds try for internally gated turbos. For external wastegates it is just
the opposite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVC FAQ Section

Q: I am having trouble setting up the new EVC (45003-AK005, AK006, AK007 and AK008), the boost is not matching my target boost setting. Is my EVC defective?

A. The EVC is not defective. The problem is in your initial set-up.

After installing the EVC or reseting the EVC, you need to do the following in the initial set-up screens:

1. Units of Measure - make sure you are selecting the correct unit of measure - PAS (kPa) or PSI.

2. Wastegate Type - (S) is for swing valve or internal (actuator) wastegate type
(P) is for poppet valve or external wastegate type

3. Standard maximum boost is your "maximum" base wastegate spring pressure (NOT YOUR TARGET BOOST). It is recommended that you apply load to 3rd or 4th gear to obtain the base boost if you are not sure of your wastegate spring rate.
An indicator will show your base boost where the P.H. is on the top of the screen. You can manually turn the knob also if you already know your base boost pressure. OH FING REALLY!!! WHERE DO i SET THIS UP??????

4. Target Boost - this is where you would enter your target boost. The range is from base boost to 36 PSI. (This mode automatically sets your volume A and B, but you can change it after your initial set-up). ** You must set your target boost ABOVE your base wastegate spring rate and cannot be the same as your factory or base rate.

5. Initial Offset Value - the initial set-up offset value is different from the volume A and B offset settings. This step must be done to ensure you are obtaining your initial target boost. Your initial setting will be at 100%.
You will now need to apply load to 3rd or 4th gear again to check that you are obtaining your initial target boost. An indicator next to the P.H. will blink showing you a real time boost pressure reading.
If you are not reaching your target boost, you will need to turn the percentage (%) gain up by turning the knob clockwise.
If your boost is going over your target boost, you will need to turn the percentage (%) gain down by turning the knob counter clockwise.
Once you've matched the target boost you will need to push the knob once to finish the initial set-up.

You are now done with your initial set-up and can now change from volume A and B by turning the knob left and right.
To change the target boost for each setting, push the knob in once and turn the knob to your desired target boost, then push the knob once again to set it.

Q: Can the EVC set my boost lower than what the base boost is for my wastegate?

A: No, the EVC cannot be set any lower than what the wastegate is rated at. To run the base wastegate spring rate pressure, hold the lower button with the (2) until the EVC turns off. With the EVC turned off, you are running the base spring rate boost pressure from your wastegate.

Q: My EVC is over boosting or continuously boosting and I am unable to regulate the boost pressure. Why is it doing this?

A: There can be a number of things that can be wrong with your EVC.

Make sure the EVC is set to the proper wastegate type. (S) is for swing valve or internal (actuator) wastegate type and (P) is for poppet valve or external wastegate type.
Check for continuity in the wiring, also make sure the vacuum hoses are as short as possible and properly connected to the stepper motor and turbo as this is a crucial step that may be missed when installing the EVC. (Please refer to your EVC manual for diagrams and examples).

Q: How does the offset setting work for volume A and B?

A: The offset settings affect boost response, however it also affects the maximum boost. The default setting for volume A/B is 100%. The setting range is between 1-199% in 1% increments.

Q: My EVC won't hold the target boost I set, my base spring is 10psi but I am trying to set my target boost for 24psi why is it not holding?

A: Typically most internal wastegate actuators will hold up to 100% over the base factory actuator pressure. The actuator may not hold additional boost pressure over that range and varies with applications. With aftermarket external wastegates, the same applies, however because spring combinations for each wastegate will vary by manufacture, it is recommended you check with the manufacturer for wastegate specifications.

Q: The figure displayed on my EVC and an aftermarket boost pressure gauge is slightly different, is this ok?

A: Whether the EVC and boost pressure gauge is taking it's readings off the same or different source/location, you may still see a slight difference in reading. If the EVC and gauge is off by 1.5PSI or less, it is within the tolerance range.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 am 
Club Staff

For what it's worth.

I sold the HKS EVC 5 that was fitted to my car when I bought it as it was hopeless setting it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:27 am 
Junior WRC

So, its not just me then.... How much did you sell it for and when? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Sounds like u need to balance intial boost with gain time.
I.e when you fiddle with it one way your get quick response, but low overall boost and visa versa.
I have similar problem with aem controller.
I could get the boost to come in super quick but it couldnt hold it steady and spiked all over the place truing to hold 1 bar. Other way around it took ages to get desired boost but holds it steady.
By playing with spring setting I was able to comprimise a little lag as sich for controled boost.

Is tbere anyway of setting wastegate crack pressure on the controller?

1998 mercedes E280- sold
1998 pug 1.9 td- mile muncher!
1993 rx7 542hp savage monster!!
2007 BMW 335i- in the shop gettin built!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:37 pm 
Group N

See if u can set the spring pressure about 2psi less than what your actual target boost is. This should open the gate just before an control it to maintain desired boost level.
Trial and error while driving it around.

1998 mercedes E280- sold
1998 pug 1.9 td- mile muncher!
1993 rx7 542hp savage monster!!
2007 BMW 335i- in the shop gettin built!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:27 pm 
Club Staff

I sold mine ages ago - probably 2006 or so. I think I got about £300 for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
If it is any help...
I know James at TGT can set these up and apparently they are very good (hold boost settings well).

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 pm 
Junior WRC

They are very good indeed, I never had any problems with my 5 (separate display model) and 6 really. The 5 was better in keeping a steady boost level. It's been a while since I've used it/my car though.. The 6 died on me, so I now have an EVC-S to try in my track build.

Anyway, probably obvious, but are your vac line filters clean? I found them to play a significant role in the boost behaviour. There's not that many options to adjust settings iirc.

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 am 
Junior WRC

thanks for all the info.
I think the the biggest problem as mentioned it to program in the spring rate of the actuator.
The manual does not show how to do that??????

At the moment, I have it boost fairly well then it drop to about 3/4 on the stock boost gauge after about a second
Cant figure out why?? That is with Gain set too 100% (default)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am 
Junior WRC

Also, Mode B dial flashes green from power up??? What does that mean? FFS, is there an interpretation of the manual somewhere. Anything?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:34 am 
Junior WRC

Is there a mechanical boost controller that would do as good a job as a electronic version? I dont care about fancy displays or modes-settings.
I just want max boost asap, then hold all the way to redline, thats it! I fear the mechanical bleed valves are too analog.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am 
Junior WRC

Actuator pressure is 10psi right? = 69kpa...
Do I have to dial that number in somewhere, or let it learn that value??? (I would rather it learned that value in case its weakened over time....)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:53 pm 
Junior WRC

I remember my manual telling me to drive the car WOT for the EVC to learn actuator boost. Then work from there to set the desired level.

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am 
Junior WRC

emmmm (looking for the embarrassed face icon......)
Had the 2 pipes on the actuator and turbo snail the wrong way round oooppppss..
All sorted and and boosting nicely. Not a bad controller after all now that its doing what I tell it ;)
Cheers for all your input :)