www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:32 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
I'm doing fairly high mileage in my ST205 and would really like to change the front seats out as I can't get comfy in them.
I have a pair of 5 way adjustable Mk2 MR2 seats in my house, just tried dropping them in but they'd need a fair bit of fabrication to fit.
Does anyone know of any that fit in with minimal work, or have custom fitted anything interesting? Quite like the ones in the Porsche 944, or something from Volvo or SAAB.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:34 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
I have a pair of carbon fibre motordrive ones. A friend fabricated the OMP side mounts I had to the slider so the drivers seat could be adjusted for my girlfriend, although I've only let her drive it once!! :O For what is basically a carbon shell with some bits of foam on it, it is incredibly comfortable. I'd even go so far as to say comfier than stock over any distance you choose. Plus the tall sides stop you moving about when it goes on the track. The only downside is getting in and out when old age finally catches up with me! But I'll worry about that bridge when I get there! :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:39 pm 
Clubman

i have fitted gen 7 seats to mine it was a case of cutting the brackets off the standard seats and welding themto the gen7 rails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04 pm 
Clubman

depending on the type of gen 6 seats you have you can actually fit the gen 7 seats to the rails and frame, you can also use mk3 mr2 spider seats in the same way. not sure about mk2 mr2 seats but could be worth looking into

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 pm 
Clubman

yeah I wish I had discovered that before I done mine cant find any bases now lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 pm 
Clubman

having just pulled apart the wrong type of gen 6 base i think i could make gen 7 seats fit to them also

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:01 pm 
Clubman

Is there an easy way to identify the 2 types of gen6 seat base?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:05 pm 
Clubman

the easy ones to change only have one roller on the drivers seat

the other ones have 2 rollers, seems to be facelift imports from 96 onwards have the right base (right up on ccuk) and some facelift uk cars have them.

Im going to look at it over the weekend to see if the other rails can be used, which will open everyone up to both the gen 7 seats and also the mrs seats. I dont know enough about the mk2 mr2 seats to say if the theory applies to them too

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:16 pm 
Club Staff

The quality of seats in cars is massively variable. BMW ones are shocking and I am looking to swap out my seats with something comfortable (or wait until my aris grows enough).

The tried and trusted method for the GT4 is to get Bride subframes and fit recaro basemount seats - the change is massive and not only benefits comfort but they clamp you in position too giving a much better car/driver interface. I am not sure if the bride subframes are still available?

Of original manufacturers car seats I have tried the best (excluding recaro based equipment) is on the Civic Type R EP3, firm, comfortable and don't make me ache on long journeys 3-4 hours). The worst is the BMW E46 sport seat, it has umpteen ways of adjustment but makes my kidneys/back/bum and shoulders ache after anything over an hour despite playing with settings for a few years.

of the standard Celica seats the St185 was preferential to me over the ST205 seat, I didn't notice the seats in the gen 7 as I was getting too annoyed at the engine power band.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:22 pm 
Group B

The electric 185 seats are excellent for me.

Back in the old days I used to run renault fuego seats in my Talbot Sunbeam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 pm 
New Poster

I factory "confetti" recaro's in mine and comfy but huge lower bolster is not liked by some
I do have extra set of Toyota Recaro st20# rails that came with the factory installed Recaros
if you need rails .