www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Not me but a group came in cheaper than buying 5bar ones, only fiddly bit is taking ecu apart and de soldering the 2.5 standard one

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 am 
Clubman

its more of a resolution issue.

The map sensor will only ever read from 0 to 5volt. so having a larger map sensor doesn't just increase its scope ontop of what you already have. It just descales everything else to make the -1bar to +6bar squeeze into the 5 voltage range. Opposed to a 3bar map sensor where you only have to get -1 to +2 bar into that same voltage scale.

what i recommend to people is only fit a map sensor big enough to do the job, this gives the best results. In most cases this is a 3bar system. where people like you warner who run 2.2 i think you said a 3.5bar is perfect.

Denso i find are one of the best versions for map sensors. GM are ok but have a habbit of playing up on the power fc platform which i found out a few years ago after days of testing and research

Tim
TB Developments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:26 pm 
Group B

Well, to conclude this saga, the official response from the horses mouth.

http://www.linkecu.com/forums/G4Forum/138273605

Roughly translated, tough *bleep*.

Not an attitude that will win them many customers I think. A shame as I quite liked the way it fitted in the oem enclosure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:51 pm 
Club Staff

Not good IMHO :-(

They seem to have a better marketing strategy than product.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:34 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Doesn't seem great, so to my simple electronic mind. Is a digital form of knock control still supported on the current G4 PnP you can buy? Would it still work with their own 'knock-link'?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm 
New Poster

Sirius wrote:
Doesn't seem great, so to my simple electronic mind. Is a digital form of knock control still supported on the current G4 PnP you can buy? Would it still work with their own 'knock-link'?

Yes

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:45 pm 
Group B

To quote the responses for anyone who didn't follow the link:

Quote:
There is no intention to re-instate the analogue knock system as it did not work well with individual cylinder knock detection due to filtering on the analogue inputs.

We will be introducing onboard knock control as an option.On the G4+ units when released.

If you wish to proceed with making an interface then it needs to provide a 0.2 to 1.2ms low pulse immediately following the end of the knock window output. 0.2ms = 0 knock, 1.2ms = 1000 knock level.

Quote:
If you wish to continue to use that function you will need to stay on the older firmware.

Their curernt 'G4 knock block' provides a digital output as described in the link above. It costs £410 (I presume +VAT). They have effectively removed the facility to be able to use an alternative.

This would be akin to Microsoft releasing a new version of windows and making it incompatible with all previous software, then stating that if you wish to use old software you will need to stick with the old version of windows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:52 pm 
Club Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:44 pm 
Group B

Just a little update.

When the car was mapped, there appeared to be a bit of a restriction somewhere that caused the power to tail off badly at higher RPM, so the BHP figures were rather disappointing although the mid range torque was great. Dyno charts below from the mapping session.

Anyway, just before xmas the car started smoking (oil) caused by the freshly hybridised turbo. On strip down, it turned out the thrust bearing was shot and the turbine blades had been touching the casting. The turbo company blamed overspeeding as the cause. Noted on the bill from Thor, was that an intercooler pipe had blown off during mapping so it does appear that their analysis was correct. That seems to be the cause of the restriction, as the car now pulls like a train all the way up to 7K RPM. I've just had to tweak the mapping as it had lost most of the (good) safety margin built in at the 4K RPM point and a bit more besides higher up the rev range. The other problem is that it is now suffering quite bad boost creep, reaching nearly 1.5 bar even with the boost controller switched off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:21 am 
Club Staff

Sounds like a bit of a shambles to me. I hesitate to ask who covered the cost of the turbo rebuild and why the mapping wasn't completed following the rebuild?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 am 
Group B

I'm sure you realise it wasn't the turbo company (not their fault, honest) or the mapper (to be fair, not their fault it blew off).
I have an inherent distrust of turbo companies as they always seem to wriggle out. Bearing in mind the guys original problem was boost creep causing fuel cut, I wonder if the turbo had actually been modified/optimised to reduce creep rather than to produce high power at high boost & RPM.

Like most mappers, Thor mapped what was in front of them at the time. They did at least state there was a problem causing a restriction at the top end. I would have thought they would have mentioned the pipe blowing off, although I'm sure they didn't realise it had damaged the turbo as it wasn't showing any outward symptoms at the time.

It certainly does highlight, once again, the problem of going for aftermarket ECU and relying on a single mapping session. Thankfully he had taken my advice and fitted a wideband so he could see imediately the mixture was going weak and needed tweaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm 
New Poster

i have a g4 on my RB2.8 stagea and it is a fantastic ECU .
It is available as a replacement board to keep the cost down or a stand alone ecu - buyers choice so if you dont want to play about with boards pay the extra and get the stand alone one.

ECUs dont improve an engine but the features enable a good mapper to get the best out of it ; but you have to use all its features to do this.
Most importantly for me was that when set up right it can run a closed loop system and a crank trigger system My previous fcon cant do either.
It is really how it is set up -
Fit a wide band lamda and a few other sensors and it will be able to cut off or restrict the boost ( or any thing else) when/if their is a fuel problem or if oil pressure drops below a level you set ( obviously you need those sensors wired in )
It can also monitor all the readings on the fly and make adjustment itself ( to preset parameters)
You can set it up to adjust things dependant on the afr ( mine has this working with an afr gauge )
It will also run launch control and store multiple maps.

Like any ECU it is the guy that maps it that determines how well the engine runs . With a good mapper these are way better than F cons or pfcs ( and Ive run both on mine )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:44 pm 
Group B

GREANMACHINE wrote:
Like any ECU it is the guy that maps it that determines how well the engine runs . With a good mapper these are way better than F cons or pfcs ( and Ive run both on mine )

Very true.

A bit like comparing a Ford to a reliant though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:02 am 
New Poster

absolutely but I got the impression quite a few thought the G4 was the reliant