www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
One of my locals is needing to get his car mapped properly. It is a professional motorsport preperation / restoration business but the guy works on historics and is completely new to anything but points & carbs. :)

I know the usual names and TBH I wouldn't let them near my car. let alone someone elses so I'm looking for other suggestions. Not looking for a fancy map, just one that's reasonably safe and up to about 1.5 BAR on a forged engine & hybrid with FMIC. The car is a runabout / toy 185.

Ideally looking for something closeish to Bournemouth area / central South. It's a link G4 by the way.

PM me if you don't want to cause controversy on a public forum :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If you PM me your list it will avoid mutual embarrassment when I send you my list (if there's anyone left!)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 am 
WRC

Not sure what he is like with Link ecu but the only person I would let touch my car is the same that did my brothers.

Dave Rowe who is a world renowned god at motec and travels world wide doing everything under the sun so can't imagine he is too shabby with any ecu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST185
Chris :) , i too will be needing the services of a good mapper for a link soon , if you do find someone worthy of mention could you pass on details please ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 am 
Club Staff

IMHO CDB if you have time I would consider mapping it yourself with some dyno hire.

The pro mappers I know of personally I think are very limited by the average punters budget (corr I am being diplomatic today) or are really pro mappers and will cost a good amount of curry or cheese for a proper job as opposed to a "race spec" map which just deals with full chat.

I wish you luck and look forward to hearing of the experience - I expect that you like I & Steve will be very dissatisfied by most "pro" (fee charging) mappers.

Don has more experience with people I would consider so over to him.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:34 am 
Club Staff

At the risk of offending people here goes:
Motor manufacturers spend millions on developing engine management systems so the first thing to realise is that you are not going to end up with a better all round system if you fit an aftermarket EMS. This is why piggyback systems are a viable option in some circumstances. I ran one for several years and the great thing is you retain virtually all of the OEM EMS capability. Knock control is a classic case in point. This is included in the OEM Toyota EMS but is configured for road tune only and only works in a narrow rpm range. Most aftermarket EMS do not include knock control but if they do then the configuration requires specific expertise to determine the data gate and frequency filters appropriate to that particular engine and state of tune.

I've had two versions of the Emerald EMS on my supercharged Elise and a MoTeC M4 on my ST205. Neither of them had knock control. The Emerald was mapped by Dave Walker, the best in the business for Rover 1.8 K-Series tuning and the MoTeC was mapped by Mark Harrison at Owen Developments who supply turbos to the WRC, F2 and BTCC series. They also run and prepare a number of turbocharged saloon cars in various championships. There are others of course but these two guys are the ones I have had personal experience of. I will be using Mark to map the MoTeC for my track toy project as he has the circuit racing experience of mapping the M800. If you are not planning on doing any circuit racing then you won't need to pay for this type of experience. This widens the field of people you might want to consider to map your EMS.

Given that in this case a complete replacement EMS (Link G4) has been installed then the question is how far do you want to go with the mapping. If you are just using the car on track then the mapping is a good deal less complicated than if you are using the car in all weathers on the road. Of course, you might want to do both if you commute and also do track days! You will need deep pockets to cover the cost of mapping if you plan to do the latter.

I know that not everyone will agree with what I've said but I can only go on personal experience and hope that this proves helpful to anyone thinking of fitting and mapping an aftermarket EMS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 am 
Group B

My thoughts are that I don't want to risk someone. Else's engine doing the full chat stuff myself. Cruising. I'm quite happy to tinker with the cruising area as the risk is low.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm 
Club Staff

I came to the conclusion that I don't trust anyone but me to map my car and I certainly don't trust me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Group N

I still think a jig, that can run a 205 & 185 on the bench with full range of all the parameters that affect fuelling and timing would be a good Idear. Then you could program in a map to be a close to stock starting point. :-)

--
Darryl

Darryl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 pm 
Club Staff

two_OH_five wrote:
I came to the conclusion that I don't trust anyone but me to map my car and I certainly don't trust me :lol:

Agree totally - I came to the same conclusion but atleast I know my own limitations and can slowly work upto a final solution as opposed to being restricted by very limited time to get results.

If/When I do it again I would map the high/medium load stuff on a dyno myself and then road map the drivability over time.

The other aspect that you will not get by most mappers is an understanding of the limitations of the engine in its current state. A non-forged St185 engine is likely to be seriously knock limited and for safety the boost needs to be kept "sensible" - a regular mapper may not appreciate the limitations and where to stop trying to make more power to get his fee and pat on the back. Additionally it really is a great benefit understanding the ECU - as such a good mapper may not want to touch the majority of vehicles running different ECU or value enginered specification.

I really don't know anyone I would reccomend that is down south that I could afford. In fact I don't know of anyone I would trust that I can afford.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 pm 
Group B

Well, since I was unable to come up with someone I'd trust, he made some enquiries of his own and has ended up booked in to Thor this week coming. I should hopefully be going up with him for interest. I'm planning to get a knock box hooked up into the ECU prior so we can enable knock control as a bit more safety.
I'm not sure who their mapper is, but I gather it's not Lyndon any more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:02 am 
Club Staff

Nibbles wrote:
Well, since I was unable to come up with someone I'd trust........
:? :shock: :o :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
New Poster

We have just become a dealer for a new ecu to the market which had duel knock control and wideband included in the ecu so no extra boxes. Very nice unit and if you put all the big names together they wouldnt have as many features as this. Plus we do a piggy back which will give you all tge same features as a link or a motec plus a bit more for less money than a night out drinking..

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 pm 
Club Staff

Any more details on the above?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 pm 
New Poster

Www.lewisrallysport.com

In the products section.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2