www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:39 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
I am facing a bit of a dilemma with my project car. I originally wanted to keep the charge cooler but upgrade to a TTE one and use the custom radiator I had made a few years ago,but then I started thinking about a 5sgte build or high spec 3sgte aiming for around the 400bhp area. This is where things start to get a bit complicated, if I stick with the TTE charge cooler the. It's a pretty straight forward build but I become limited with the ability of the charge cooler. If I go front mount then to get the routing I want I am going to have to make a smaller engine radiator.

So the questions.....would the GT4 cope with a smaller radiator? Would probably go for a lower radiator so the the front mount pipes could go over the top, or maybe have a narrower radiator so the pipes could go each side?

I will try and draw up some rough designs to show you what I am thinking of doing.

Or do you think the TTE charge cooler would be up to the job keeping the OEM look which I like/prefer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
Club Staff

A FMIC cools much better than a water thing...

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:05 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
I detest the 'normal' routing for FMIC pipework on these cars. It's like spagetti all round the wings.

The setup that has really caught my eye is the RS500 where the FMIC pipes go over the top of the water rad so routing is as short as it can possibly be. This is similar to a setup I saw years ago in a very small shopping car with a tiny turbocharged engine.

I know Edd (Treacle) has done some research on this and I think it looked feasable on a 205. I also know that a guy on CCUK has found an alloy RS500 coolant rad to be better than standard or alloy 185 rad on a rally car build so should be adequate.

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/inde ... ld/page-12

I'm planning to go for this style setup on my 185, but I'm expecting to need custom radiators as the 185 has an inch or 2 less height available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:24 pm 
Group N

If I fabricate my own radiator side tanks etc, what thickness alloy should I use? 2mm be thick enough? Or would 3mm be better?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 pm 
Group N

My idea being that the charge cooler radiator at the front is narrower but taller than the main radiator, the flow going up so that the top tank goes over the top of the main radiator, and the bottom tank under the main radiator, the main radiator is cross flow with a normal sized outlet tank on the drivers side but a higher inlet tank on the passenger side which has a high point for a return vent pipe for the header tank.