www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
im using rev 3 engine, turbo and gearbox, have a 1993 st185, and a choice of ukspec ecu or jdm spec mr2 turbo ecu desperately need some help with the pin outs, as im unsure what i need to use and what i dont.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:36 pm 
Group B

IMO easiest to retain the 185 engine loom and just change the few pins required on the ECU. Much less effort than trying to mate a 205 engine loom to a 185 body loom as there are some incompatabilities.

The following has a list of the pinouts of various ECU's.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/831 ... iagram.png

Check the part number of your existing ECU against the list and you can then compare pinouts against the rev 3. AFAIK the later 185 has very little difference. The main differences with earlier 185 from memory is the dizzy gignals (G1,G2,NE) are in a different place and idle solenoid is slightly different.

The main difference is the PIM signal (turbo pressure) on a 205 is in the place of the AFM signal (now redundant) on the 185. You will also need to swap the 185 'turbo pressure' sensor for a 205 'map sensor' as the scaling is different. (some later 185 may be the same, check part numbers)
If ditching the AFM you will need a separate air intake temperature sensor wired into the THA wire from the AFM.
You will also need to add a manifold air temperature sensor and wire to the THAM input on the ECU. You may be able to use the now redundant VS wire from the AFM for this function to save running a new wire along the loom.

I presume you have the usual .pdf downloads for the 185 & 205 including wiring diagrams so you can compare. If not, I'll dig out the links.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:00 am 
Clubman

yeh so far i have done all that, got really far tonight most of it is all pretty much done now, fired the car up tonight for the first time sounded so strong, but alas it died it wouldnt idle or rev, any suggestions? that was on a mr2 rev 3 ecu btw, out of curiosity do i use the single 205 fuel relay thing or the double st185 fuel pump relay?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 am 
Group B

Use everything 185 except for ecu or as described above.

Do you mean it ran ok for a while then went bad, or was it bad from the beginning ?

An error code check may give some clues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 am 
Clubman

all sorted now slight miscommunication between me and my friend who was repinning the ecu, turns out he had put the fpr pin in the wrong place lmao, all is good runs and idle very very strongly.