www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am

Post subject: Fuel system
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hi guys I managed to pick up a emanage ultimate cheap off a freind so am looking to get it installed and mapped. I just wanted your opinions on whether I should upgrade the fuel system before I have it mapped. I don't intend to forge my engine anytime soon so don't plan on going to high on power. Maybe arround 350bhp. What should I do the the fuel system for this? (Injectors, pump,fpr) and is there anything else that I should do?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fuel system
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 am 
Clubman

And what do people think of tuning developments to map it? Had anyone used them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 am 
Clubman

Sorry to bombard all these questions but forgot to ask what kind of gains can I expect safely?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
At that level of power you will be very close to the limits of the fuel system. I would consider a higher capacity fuel pump and larger injectors. The fuel pressure regulator will be fine.

Also I doubt your engine will survive very long at that power on standard internals, be prepared for a rebuild.

The company you mention has more than has a dreadful story over on the OC where a chap was done out of about £1000 and waited well over a year for his goods with constant excuses and BS from the company. I wouldn't touch them. There are a few other places you can use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 am 
Group N

Yes agree with above. Had few cars come to us with horror stories about them.

Would defo upgrade fuel pump. Relatively low cost upgrade and crosses out the possibilty of it running out of puff.

1998 mercedes E280- sold
1998 pug 1.9 td- mile muncher!
1993 rx7 542hp savage monster!!
2007 BMW 335i- in the shop gettin built!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:32 am 
Clubman

Yeh I had read a couple bad reports bout them online so thaught if ask for some first hand experience. They seem to love them on the glanza scene though. Would my engine not be safe continuing to run 1.15 bar but just using the emanage to lean it out a bit and sort the timing? Or is there very little gains to this? Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 am 
Clubman

And I forgot to mention it is an st205. I would be happy to upgrade the fuel pump hopefully I could avoid injectors. What power would you guys deem safe to run at without a rebuild? And would it be that unsafe for an engine if I kept the boost the same just let them tweak fueling and timing to try and free up a bit power? What kind of power could I expect from that? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 am 
Club Staff

IMHO 350bhp will be at the bleeding edge on a standard engine so unless you go forged I would lower your goals slightly and live with what you can get safely.

I suspect this is likely to be 325-330bhp on any sensible dyno. There are some major benefits in this though, and I would consider a slightly different approach.

1.15 bar seems sensible
replace fuel pump with good high flow item sourced from reliable company (ebay fakes around of fuel pumps!!)
Replace fuel pressure regulator with an uprated one and run a slightly higher base pressure.
Keep standard injectors but get them cleaned and replace fuel filter.

The standard injectors seem to run out of puff around 340-350bhp as standard at 100% duty cycle and ideally you only want to be running them at 80% duty cycle or so to reduce possibility of injector seizing up. Getting a bit of extra flow out of them from incraesed rail pressure will also make the emanages job easier and is likely to just require a whole map % correction to adjust for the higher base pressure. Larger injectors are not as linear at low flow/duty cycles so require more mapping. You can then start to lean out a high boost areas to remove the silly levels of over fuelling the standard ECU seems to provide, don't go too far though, 11.2-11.8 AFR would be my safe sensible area.

You may actually find that the cleaning the injectors makes the engine run less rich anyway as typically dirty injectors "hose" rather than spray and actually flow more when dirty but in a crap pattern than clean injectors.

How to get extra safety and more power:-
1) ensure chargecooling setup is functioning well and clean (I like well designed front mounst but that is a different head ache)
2) free flowing exhaust system and cat (I hate cats on 3sgte but appreciate you poor st205 guys have to run them) they add more exhaust restriction on an engine that struggles with det and getting rid of burnt gas). This lets the turbo work more efficiently and produces less heat.
3) free flowing cool air inlet feed - again allows the turbo to work more efficiently.

At these powers it only takes a hiccup for the engine to det and melt or crack a piston. If you havent got one then consider a water/meth injection system with activiation from the emanage and duty cycled in line with injectors and at high boost only.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
From personal experience...
I ran 350+ at 1.3 bar (dyno'd) on my ST205 with standard internals, uprated fuel pump, HKS intake/filter, 3" straight through de-cat exhaust, hybrid turbo and SARD ECU - suffice to say it ended with ring failure.

If you want someone to map an Emanage then Chris at Performance Tuning Services Nr Littlehampton is who I would recommended.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 pm 
Clubman

Ok well I think that idea is out of the window for now. Seems like a waste of money for such little gains so I will probably just sell it as I already run at 1.15 bar on the standard ecu and that probably gives me decent power as it is. If a mines or blitz or sard etc ecu appears I will use that as they aren't very expensive and hold there value extremely well. Thanks for all the good advice guys I really appreciate it.