www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

Post subject: Project Pearl
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:15 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
Hi all,

Recently I picked up a crashed 1991 GT Four RC for a decent price, and while the White Elephant is at the panel beaters getting a full respray, I thought it might be good to document the progress to get the car back on the road.

Main aim of this project is to save a RC and use some of the spare parts I have stock piled over the years.

Thoughts
I'll be up front about this. I was not expecting to take on another project, especially another Celica. While my car is at the panel beaters, I was supposed to be working on various parts of the Elephant in preperation for when I get the car back for re-assembly and my friend's R30 Skyline Coupe which needs an exhaust, plumbed wastegate and wiring. This is strictly a repair job to get a rare car back on the road. I don't expect to throw lots of money into especially as I have so much time and money invested in my main project, and this car has 261,000kms on the engine and body.

As a small bonus:
- I have a car which I can figure out what goes where, since my car is in boxes and scattered around the house
- I get to play around in a GT Four for a little while (interested in the close ratio box)
- I get rid of various parts that have been stockpiled
- I may make some money on this
- Another RC lives for a little longer

The temptation is to install all my upgrade parts onto the vehicle - and there is a lot! But I will resist this (unless I'm getting rid of spares) and just get the car up and running. If I think this is too much, then I'll scavenge the RC box and on-sell the car at a cheap price.

Now, on to the pain..

The car:
- 1991 Toyota GT Four RC
- 261,000kms on the clock
- Lowered (maybe King Springs)
- 16" Oz Racing wheels. Rears have 20mm spacers
- Modified exhaust manifold with 38mm waste gate port welded on
- White Pearl paint job (hence the name Pearl)
- HKS turbo timer

Parts I got with the car:
- 2x 5mm spacers
- 2x air boxes (1 with a reasonably clean filter)
- Original RC CT26 turbo with another compressor impeller (no info on it yet)
- Original springs

Body/Exterior:
- Bonnet has been folded. The underside support has bent and punched through the main skin. Bonnet spoiler and side vents are okay
- Bonnet trim has been cracked off
- Bonnet vent has cracked on both sides (you can see through one of the cracks..)
- Bumper has been ripped open and mesh has ripped off screw bosses
- Bumper support has been twisted
- Middle trim support has been twisted and trim has broken
- Bonnet latch vertical support has folded near the latch. Amazingly the latch is still good
- Bonnet latch horizontal support that attaches to the horizontal radiator support has bent
- Radiator support bar has twisted/folded/cracked
- Vertical panel where headlight mounts has been bent in towards ABS pump. Seam sealer has cracked
- Drivers side guard support for indicator unit has been mashed. Main guard panel has received some slight bends
- Drivers side headlight has bent. External panel seems okay
- Drivers side quarter window has been broken as thieves/scum hopped into a gated community to try and steal the car
- Wipers have been replaced at some point and don't sit right
- Wheels are chipped/curbed
- Paint has various chips and isn't the best condition. 1 metre rule applies. A bit of mould has grown in places
- Bump trims have ripples in them from when they were removed
- Minor rust

Engine Bay/Exhaust:
- Radiator, AC radiator and W2A radiator have all bent on impact- Exhaust has leak in middle of car somewhere.
- Exhaust box/cannon at rear has been removed (not cleanly - sigh)
- Alternator plug has been replaced and choc blocs have been used for the connection
- Side markers wiring have scotch locks on them (possibly for driving lights)
- O2 sensor wire has broken and been connected back with crimp spade terminal
- Water sensor plug has been broken (prob over time)
- TVSV sensor is broken and has been moved to firewall (it normally sits under inlet manifold?)
- Turbo needs to be repaired, new impeller installed (if so, prob requires compressor housing to be bored out)
- various nuts/bolts/studs have been used/missing/wrong
- Replace various gaskets
- Replace all fluids
- Replace various hoses
- Heater cable firewall bung has been melted to feed alarm wiring through
- AC needs to recharged
- Battery brace rods are missing
- Fusebox plastic has been broken
- Alternator/AC belt needs to be replaced

Interior Repair/Replace:
- Drivers side seat fabric foam has been worn away
- Momo leather steering wheel is worn out
- Leather gear knob is worn
- Gear shifter surround and leather is broken and worn out
- Glove box latch has been taken out and glove box is loose
- Passenger side visor is sitting low
- Drivers side A piller has screw holes where a 'monster tacho' probably resided. Has created indentation on the dash pad as well
- Rear passenger seat belt is missing a cover
- Interior smells smokey/musty - needs thorough clean of plastics, carpet, seats. Poss leak of water into cabin due to broken quarter window. I've found old french fries, cigarette filters etc under the seats.

Note: I'm sure there will be more as I find it

So to start off, here are the pics I received of the car:

30 June 2014
So the car was transported from Christchurch to Wellington to my friends place. While my car is at the panel beaters, his car is at my place and my new old car is now at his place (explaining this makes sense to me haha)

When Nick got back from work, we got the car pushed into his garage. That evening, we opened up the car to air it out, closed up the garage and I thought 'what have I got myself into!'

1 July 2014
Nick removed the bonnet and the stuff out of the boot and gave the car a vacuum to clean up the glass on the rear passenger seat and to clean the floors. He also wiped down the dash and various plastics with a white cloth and it came out with black streaks! UGH! He then sprayed the interior with a disinfectant spray! He cleaned up the rear quarter window a little removing broken glass and the cling film and tape that was covering the window opening.

2 July 2014
so I started on the car by taking the bumper off and inspecting the damage.

As I started disassembly, I noticed that the the bonnet cable was wire tied onto the support to hold it in place. This was the start of the 'just enough' fixes on this car.

Thankfully, the aluminium bumper support was not damaged, but you can see the damage the car took when it shunted into the truck. We believe the truck was also carrying gravel, as there were stones up on the windscreen and scuttle panel. Initially I thought the stones were thrown on to the car while being transported. Truck with gravel makes more sense.

Yay - widy body guard hasn't suffered, though there are some minor dings on the panel

Turbo has been removed but not sure on how long ago. Bit worried that water may have got into the head. Hopefully it won't be an issue when I start the car. Water should have evaporated by then. Will be changing all fluids anyway. Don't worry, the filter will also be changed.

Unflattering 3/4 shot? Again, you can see how much of a shunt the front end took. Luckily its just the front. Could have been a lot worse.

Boot has some minor rust - pretty common.

Initial interior shot. Glovebox is hanging due to latch not installed. Boot seal is in the drivers well as it may be a source of leaking. Will find out later. Broken gear shift surround on pass side floor. Attached together with duct tape no less. Found ciggie butts in the ashtray, no wonder it stunk of smoke if they had been sitting in the car for 6 months!

Drivers rear quarter window. To remove old broken frame and tape residue. New window coming soon.

Oz 16" 'wheels chipped and looking sad. On first inspection, I was wondering about a wheel nut key, and luckily the nuts are hex, of which I have a large 1/2" drive hex socket set to remove the wheels with.

Chips are actually quite deep. Wheels will have to be fully blasted, otherwise I get some new wheels - hmm temptation.

So while the aluminium crash bar has not been damaged, the drivers side bolt that holds the crash bar in, was bent over into the chassis rail. After bending it back and removing the 17mm nut on the underside of the chassis rail, I couldn't get the f'ing bolt out. Some one did a bodgy and used some sort of builders putty/polyurethane/gunk on the bolt and it was stuck in the support.

No amount of hammering using a screwdriver end would push the bolt out. I ended up having to spanner the bolt at the top, while also levering the bolt up. As you can see, I had to stack additional spanners to keep changing the lever point. GRRRR!!! 2.5 hours later..

Here's the culprit - grey gunk included. Bolt is toast - need to get a new one. Support is A-OK though

Later in the dark, I removed the various radiator and finished up as it was getting around 4C degrees outside. Too cold and little light at the front of the car.

3 July 2014
A new day brings the continued challenge and seeing what I ended up with the previous night. I did a more thorough inspection and started writing my lists (as per above) while inspecting the car in the daylight

6 July 2014

Took a couple of days off to do some other things (including doing stuff on Nick's Skyline) so came back with tools in hand, ready to tackle the next part of the car.

Removed the wheels and was surprised to see a relatively clean suspension setup. Shock boot is a bit dead, but no big deal. Apparently the brakes have been skimmed, but will look at that later.

Jacked the car up and put some jack stands underneath. Zip tied the gearbox cooler to ensure it doesn't drag on the ground.

Passenger side guard off. Usual issues with the flimsy support beam attached to the guard at the lower front twisting. Bolt broke off on the drivers side support

Lots of dirt and crap falling out once the inner plastic guard is removed.

Wow! Factory airbox resonator - threw mine out years and years ago. Strange to see really.

Both gaurds off

Now it looks like a project! haha

Started on getting the radiator support brace removed. Used a spot weld remover drill bit that Nick had. In some places, the drill bit popped straight through the vertical panel steel as it is so thin. Got most of the welds drilled out. Had to use a chisel to pop the welds off if the drill didn't cut out the spot weld.

Hurray! Radiator support off! On inspection, while the metal has been bent, it could easily be repaired and welded back in. Will look at that a little later as an option instead of asking a wreckers to get one off a scrapped car.

Oh btw - the car was originally black if you hadn't noticed from the engine bay and the boot ;)

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Post subject: Re: Project Pearl
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 pm 
Group N

Haven't updated this thread in a while, but after a full weekend, a week of evenings and this previous weekend, Pearl is now up and running smoothly. Will update more soon :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Well done! Hard to believe you've managed to get it all done after seeing the pics in the previous post. Look forward to seeing the post-repair pics :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:14 pm 
Group N

Well the engine is running with a error 54 code, and that is because I unplugged the W2A pump to prevent it from running dry.

The panel work - that is a bit of a story. So no st182's have come through my local scrapyard in 6 months, so no possibility of getting parts to fix the panel work at the front. I had previously checked with local wreckers, but again, nothing in their stock. I was seriously debating buying a broken st182 just to scavenge parts, but without sufficient room to store the car, that was not really an option.

Luckily I was trawling through the a nationwide scrapyard stock list and noticed various st182's up in Auckland and a st185 in Tauranga. I put the call out on the local GT-Four club's facebook page on Monday 3 Nov and another member (Mat) messaged he would help out and as a bonus, I knew he was travelling down to wellington to drop parts off to another club member, Joe. Get another message on Wednesday 5 Nov just after lunch and he is at the scrapyard pulling the car apart. I'm rushing to think off top of my head which parts I need and firing facebook messages back and forth while he is stripping the car.

(side note, the st185 at the scrapyard was a GT-Four A and it was driven on to the scrapyard! Panel damage on the drivers side of the car - front quarter, drivers door and rear quarter, but it was in running order. That demonstrates people's perception of the GT-Four in New Zealand as a low value car)

I also asked if he had time to take out the radiator support bar that was welded on to the car and he kindly obliged and had drilled out the spot welds and had the metal in his car on his lunch break. And bonus, it only cost $23...

Second piece of luck, was that he came to Wellington to buy some subwoofers and a box off my friend Nishant and my parts and fuel money was going to the purchase of the subwoofers haha (side note I had built the box so knew it's performance). By Friday we had arranged to meet at Nishant's and he left at 5.20 in the morning for a 6.5 hour drive to Wellington with a plethora of parts for Joe and I, including an aftermarket bumper, a complete hatch (strapped to the roof of his Caldina), st205 brakes for Joe, 2x wide body guards, my front fascia mounts and brackets, 1x st205 W2A intercooler, standard A2A intercooler and pipe work and other various bits and bobs. his Caldina GTT was full to the brim of Celica haha.

So within a week, I had the parts to repair Pearl and it only cost me $150 worth of parts, some petrol money and a box of Woodstock bourbon and colas :) All told, $265 dollars and sorted in a week :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 pm 
Group N

indicators previous had scotch locks on them (can kind of see the kink in the wire. So I unpinned the plugs to fix them up.

Heat shrink will do

Alternator seems to have been changed over at some point and they used choc blocks to wire it back to the stock loom - nasty!
I fixed them up with some crimps and heat shink and loom taped it back up.

This is how it looked mid September. Not a lot of work on the car.

With the Elephant going to paint soon and the prospect of getting my wide body guards back for moulding, I wanted to move the RC to a space with more room but I had to get it running first to save a bit of time. So at the start of the month, I decided to put some time into getting the RC running. Mostly I was scavenging from my spare parts, but I've had to purchase parts here and there to finish up.

1-Nov-2014
First thing was to mount the CT26R2 aka CT20B. I had purchased a standard manifold to replace the modified manifold which had the divider removed and a wastegate port welded on. Pretty good job too.

Cleaned up the stud threads

And Pulled two studs out of the modified manifold using the double nut method to mount the CT20B

Nick got to work draining the oil and replacing the oil filter. Beer helps haha

A lovely mess down there

Nick's daughter Abigail looking on while Daddy does some work :)

Using a sharp blade, I removed built up rust to get a half decent surface to get a decent seal with the new exhaust manifold gaskets.

That evening, we test fitted the turbo onto the engine, but found the CT20B water pipes did not line up. Some googling told me that the stock CT26 water pipes had to be used, so I made some enquiries on the local GT Four Owners Club FB page and luckily a local had a broken CT26 he was willing to seperate the pipes from

2-Nov-2014
Sunday morning, I went and got the pipes and had a yarn to Joe, a fellow NZGT4OC member who is putting a gen3 into his st185. Good little project he has on his hand :)

More work on fettling with the turbo and getting the pipes to line up and fit. A lot of time was spent bending the turbo oil feed pipe to the block. There was also an issue with the turbo oil return hose as the owner prior to the person I bought the car off had replaced the silicon pipe with heater pipe - eek!

Nick moved the lights over the engine bay so we could work better at night. Nishant helped a bit as well haha. No more pics on the 2nd or 3rd Nov, too busy working.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 pm 
Group N

4-Nov-2014
I tried pulling the sensors from the old cat converter but the rust was too much. Only way I could get the main O2 sensor out was to mount in a vice and then remove the rusted nuts, but no vice at Nick's place so I just kept going to think about later.

Nick's dog Van was in the way a lot haha.

Here is how it looked with the 3" chinese dump pipe mounted to the CT20B - looks more like an engine now :)

Chucked the radiator in and tried firing it up. Initially had some issues with the engine not turning over. FB msgs to Dan, the previous owner, gleaned that the turbo timer needed to be turned on for the car to start. There was alarm wiring which we were concerned about, but turns out it was just a siren and a bonnet switch left in the engine bay with no brain.
Caught Nick by surprise as he had the volt meter on the battery, and I had turned the turbo timer on and cranked the engine over. Boy did he jump haha. Engine cranked on the first pop with various engine lights coming on, but she turned over!

5-Nov-2014
Here is how she looked after we left her last night.

6-Nov-2014
3" dump pipe didn't fit properly. Touches a mount on the AC pump

And had major gap between the exhaust mid pipe. We jacked up the car later and find the exhaust wasn't even on the mid chassis hanger. Remounting the exhaust on the hanger helped move the exhaust forward.

But I had already taken the turbo off and remounted the stock cat converter. Wasn't worth the hassle in trying to make the aftermarket dump pipe fit, so why bother..

Water to Air radiator sensor plug wiring had broken with a plug hanging off one wire. I touched it and the other one broke off as well, so I replaced the plug with a new unit I was going to use for Elephant.

Van the engine dog not doing much engine work.. it's worse when Valley (the other dog) wants to play catch with sticks and balls and keeps bothering us

7-Nov-2014 - Friday, exhausted from the week, I bothered to take the night off.

8-Nov-2014
Mat arrived at midday at Nishants with a car load of Celica parts. Boot hatch was for Joe.

Garage chicken not doing much like engine dog..

Spent more time putting the engine bay back together and fixing up various wiring and hoses in the engine bay. Had a fun time fitting the turbo drain hose that Mat had got from the wreck in Tauranga, but it saved me $122 for an OEM replacement!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
Group N

9-Nov-2014
And pearl leaves the garage under her own power for some sunlight and a good wash

Broken window and lots of adhesive to fix and clean up respectively. Wax and grease remover for the win

Engine bay together. Still panel work to do, but Mat to the rescue getting me the vertical bonnet support, grill support and even drilling out the spot welds for the radiator support - top man!

Glass to clean up once the rear seat was removed.

I shouldn't be able to do this...

Mastic removed. the lower stuff had glass shards in it, so I threw it out. The top mastic was a bit old, but you can re-use mastic as long as you clean off the grit and re-heat/shape in your hands

Panels removed for more clean up and glass shard removal. Car has been repainted and has obviously leaked when they cleaned off the priming dust. It is all in the cavities.

Degreaser and water blaster in the engine bay to clean up all the crap

Replacement window came off a modified car. *bleep* poor job taping the window off and it had a heap of orbital sander swirls marks on the black trim. I cleaned off the excess paint as best I could with some wax and grease remover. I may paint it black later, but the window had to go in to get the car water tight and washed.

Mastic re-applied ready for the window to go in. Sticky horrible job

We pulled the carpet as the previous owner was a smoker and the interior is horrible to sit in. Nick used degreaser to soak the carpet to start pulling out a lot of stains then water blasted

fun of cleaning..

Not your typical use for a clothes line

Wash me please! Valley the dog, loves the water blaster :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
Group N

10-Nov-2014
Carpet was left over night and during the day in a good breeze to dry it out. I vacuumed in the evening and we ended up with a nice soft carpet pile. Some stains still, but it is so so much better now.

Interior plastics were then wiped down with wax and grease remover and then we used some silicon to return some lustre.

We cleaned out the floor of the car with wax and grease remover and took out years and years of dirt and all sorts of grime built up over the years.

We also removed the turbo timer - its a bit old and doesn't work properly, as evident when I pulled the key and the car ran for 5 minutes and I couldn't turn it off haha.

And that is where we are for now. Next steps, continue cleaning the interior and then drive it over to Nishant's garage and prep for moulding the wide wide guards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST165
Yeeeeew :-D another super RC thread

cheers for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 pm 
Group N

I did put this up on OC and alltrac Gary :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 am 
Group N

So I have been using Pearl as a mule for me to do my fibreglass moulding for Elephant and it has taken a very very long time to get done. Move Pearl back to Nick's place about a month ago and left it there not doing much. Decided to weld the radiator support panel on today as it is Queen's birthday long weekend here in NZ.

Bit of a back log on the photos but you all love photos

Nov-14 - Car looks half respectable now that it is clean. Had to roll it out of the garage to move to Nish's where I was doing the fibreglass work

Drove it for the first time. CT20B goes nicely. And in it's new residence to be a mule for the guards

Started stripping down the front end so I can mount the guards and cover the body to protect it for FG resin

The high stop light on the rear spoiler was broken, so removed the spoiler. Bolt that holds it on was rusted and broken off much to my annoyance.

And here is the broken and replacement stop light

Time to remove bolt with an angle grinder

Replaced a broken vacuum valve from a Ceres. Toyot generic part so easy enough to find a replacement at the scrapyard

Slowly fettling the ground down bolt out of the boot

Was wondering why the spoiler side parts were not sitting right. Took the plastics off to find the mounts were the wrong way around.. idiots

And mounted correctly

Group N

January 2015 - I got my RC bonnet and bumper moulded, so I thought I'd try them on the RC. Also, my guards finally came back from the panel beater so I thought I'd try them on as well

It had been a long while since I had seen my handy work, they look pretty good

And there is definitely some room for larger wheels

February 2015 - This is Elephant work, but may as well show it off since it is on Pearl. Guards are prepped and then corflute/plastic signboard is hot glued on to some masking tape at the edges of the panel. Car covered up as well

Then gel coat is applied. I used tooling gel goat which ends up harder.

Both sides are done at the same time.

March - 2015 Fibreglass done. Pearl gets out of the garage to see some sunlight

And here are the main parts of the guard moulds

Since I was over at the fibreglass place, I took some photos of my moulds

And now back to my bodgy job haha. The guards are a multi piece mould. More fun stickling plastic to the guards, prepping, applying gel coat and fibreglass

Group N

April 2015 - Car got put back together. I left the battery connected and had to jump start it with my deep cycle sitting in Nish's garage

This is the panel that was mashed up from the accident. Car sat at Nick's for a good month before I looked at it today

1-June-2015 - Decided to get it back on the road. First things first, weld in the top radiator support. Had to load up the car with my welding gear and tools and setup at Nick's. While at Nick's he straighten the water to air radiator which had gotten a bit bent in the crash.

And welded in. The welds are pretty ugly TBH, but the support is in solid so I'm happy. Nick gave the panel a spray with some black caliper paint I had brought overImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:06 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Good update. The moulds look really great! Looking forward to seeing how it all looks. Do you have a completion date in mind?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 pm 
Group N

No completion date in mind - everything takes so long to do and time is limited with work being so busy at the moment