www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:24 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Does anyone know the two thread sizes on the steering rack in and out pipes?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:30 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
M16 x 1.5 pitch from what I wrote down when I was changing the reservoir and cooler on low pressure side:
http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... d#p1380214

DeeCee wrote:
Have recently finalised my power steering stuff, so its fresh in my mind.
1) mounting behind the turret is a squeeze. It doesn't allow for easy removal if required, and you have to lengthen/shorten hoses as required.
2) you need to use hydraulic or ptfe hose as the power steering fluid will slowly eat through standard rubber hose and weep/seep/fail. Fluid will go black as PS fluid eats through hose.

Low pressure side
Power steering rack barb outlet = 3/8ths ~10mm,
Power steering rack fitting is M16x1.5
Power steering pump inlet = 5/8ths ~ 16mm
Reservoir inlet from cooler = 3/8ths
Reservoir outlet to pump = 5/8ths
Cooler inlet / outlet = don't know as I went aftermarket, but if someone knows then I'll update this list.

High Pressure side
Keep the factory stuff. You gain nothing except an emptier wallet trying to change OEM crimped hose with fittings pressure rated correctly.
To replace, you'd ideally get professionals to crimp 1000psi rated ptfe/hydraulic hose from pump to rack.

If you are going aftermarket cooler, get one with 6AN fittings on it, otherwise you have to muck around with 10AN to 6AN reducers which is a pain.

If you are moving the reservoir to around the headlight area
a) you'll have to find a mounting point to mount reservoir. Bracket is made for above the wheel arch, so you'll have to retrofit something to mount it
b) you'll have to extend the reservoir outlet/pump inlet hose (5/8ths) to the reservoir
c) you'll have to shorten the reservoir inlet hose/cooler outlet hose (3/8ths) back into the reservoir. Can't remember if its mostly hard lines back into the reservoir, but my st185 has hard lines quite close to the reservoir.
You can extend the reservoir inlet hose and loop back to the reservoir if you wish to retain hard lines.

Not sure how accessible parts are in the UK, but I popped down to my specialty car parts store (note - NOT big brand - they are generally muppets) and purchased my 3/8 PS hose for cheap.
For the larger 5/8th hose, I had to source the hydraulic hose from a specialty hose business which does industrial stuff as the car parts store wouldn't indent 15m so I could have 1m haha.

I'm using p-clips to hold it all in place and I made a mount to relocate my reservoir to a better position (although I'm aftermarket PS reservoir, same logic would apply in relocating).

Figure out your reservoir location and mounting, figure out how you will route your piping - measure thrice or more (then buy extra to ensure you aren't short when you put it all in), figure out if you will replace all fittings or just use what you have, figure out if you will move to aftermarket PS cooler now and then figure out the previous steps again :)

Have fun

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am 
Group N

Great, very helpful, thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 pm 
Group N

M16 x 1.5 is incorrect. The thread size is M17 x 1.5 which I don't think exists as an off the shelf thread size. 5/8ths is the nearest which equates roughly to ?........11/16 x 18 UNF.?? Is about the nearest I can find but dosent actually fit..........decided to stick with the standard fitment and use that to attach the braided hose to.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:41 pm 
Group N

FYI, mine was M16x1.5 on the low pressure side but will check again when I get my car back. Even looking back at my notes from 2013, I'm referencing M16x1.5 fittings which I bought and tested on the rack.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 pm 
Group N

Well they must be different then, perhaps a rack upgrade or revision by Toyota?

I bought an M16x1.5 adaptor for the AN fittings, it arrived in the post a weekish ago...... and although it does fit, it is very very loose, any tightness in it will rip the threads out in a heartbeat. I wish it was M16x1.5 it would make life alot easier, a) I have just bought one and could use it instead of leaving it sat on the shelf until another use turns up and b.) try getting anything in M17 size....its impossible short of making it yourself or paying someone silly amounts of money to get one made.

I couldnt hold the micrometer and take the picture at the same time, but the measurement is spot on.

maybe there are two types of steering rack? as M17 is a stupid size.

I am actually thinking about (but probably wont) drilling it out and making it a more sensible size if I want to go with AN fittings, but realistically I am going to stick with the standard fitting and just clamp the braided hose to it.

The next problem is the inlet manifold threads......0.9 pitch.....wheres the drill !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:12 am 
Group N

Well I can't check until I get my car back from the panel beater. He seems to like taking his time though it is scheduled to be back to me this Sunday.
I've chucked a reminder in my phone to check in a month's time. Hopefully I will have my car back by then

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 pm 
Club Staff

Looking forward to seeing the result when you get the car back :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp