www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Engine bay bolts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:16 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
One of the better cheap mods I have done on previous cars is to replace some of the bolts in the engine bay, generally the ones around the edges of the bay. Anyone done this before? What bolts/sizes did you use?

Post subject: Re: Engine bay bolts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:51 pm 
Club Staff

M6x20 stainless steel will be your friend here. As many of the OEM bolts are this size.

Couple of words of warning - don't replace anything that bears significant load with stainless and also its worth noting that the OEM bolts are generally very high quality.

Lastly once you make the bolts shiny it shows everything else up!

If you ever pop down the A3 as far as Guildford there is an excellent shop in Jacob's Well called Margnor that sells all manner of fasteners including loads of stainless stuff that is useful on the GT-Four.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:11 pm 
Group N

Was looking more at the aesthetic bolt positions rather than anything serious - like I say the ones around the edge holding bodywork etc. I did this on my old Zed, the small things can make a big difference!

re: showing everything else up, well it just means a good jab in the ribs to do everything else as well lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm 
Group N

I too am considering this, I have been advised in the past to opt for the alan key head style marine grade stainless. It's cheap and effective. Recently saw a Honda type R with replacement bolts around the engine bay, with colour coded larger washers-it looked fantastic. currently trying to source similar type.
I broke the bank somewhat with my recent endeavours with the car, so just looking for the odd cheap bit of faffing to tide me over for a while.

I also found this link a while ago, that might be useful http://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT2570. ... ucts/KB002

Oh and this is the link for the type of dress up washers I am talking about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37085210 ... 0&ff14=108

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 pm 
Group N

Yes I used the recessed washers on previous cars, does come up very nicely with steel bolts.
Also seen people use the chunkier hex key bolts with coloured washers

Amazing how much difference it can make :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:37 pm 
Group N

Done a trial run on one idea, went for a natural look titanium bolt with titanium washer - might sneak a rubber washer underneath the big one so its not metal on metal. Quite happy with it actually.