www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:15 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Basically I quite like the idea of a flame spitting GT-Four without needing anti lag.

I know the limiter is ideal for protecting powerful engines running high boost, I just wondered if you can use it on fairly standard cars? I'm aware of the practical applications, but also as with most race car tech, it's pretty cool and the base model is only £120 (ish).

has anyone here used one on a GT4?

Thanks

http://www.nengun.com/bee-r/rev-limiter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:13 pm 
Club Staff

IIRC (and I often don't) these can anger the ecu gods who are wont to vent their rage by visiting you with a plague of EMLs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:10 pm 
Club Staff

Not sure this would be a good idea. Based on my experience the OEM ECU overfueled when I ran a boost controller and a 3" decat downpipe. This produced loads of black smoke when everything was spooled up on the rolling road. The danger is you can get bore wash running this rich i.e. unburnt fuel dilutes or even removes the lubricating oil from the bores and rings resulting in severe wear and consequent loss of compression. On track (Donington) I experienced some bangs when accelerating out of the final chicane (Goddards?) onto the pit straight. Sounded a bit like fuel igniting in the exhaust. I was worried it would damage the exhaust. Not sure if there were flames but my supercharged Elise flamed at the same spot according to onlookers and following drivers. Fortunately no bangs or explosions that I recall.

When I had later fitted a MoTeC M4 ECU it was set up with no over-run (i.e. off-throttle) fuel cut and ran fine. Later I activated over-run fuel cut in an effort to get better fuel economy. Shortly after this, during a track day, my engine detonated, destroying the ring lands and necessitating a complete rebuild. Although my water injection had also failed I suspect that the combustion chamber temperatures were higher than before due partly to the absence of cooling from the fuel being injected on the over-run. From observing most race cars they don't seem to use fuel cut. Having witnessed the Aussie V8 Supercars when I was at the Australian Grand Prix and Barbagallo in Perth they make a lot of banging noises when they change gear and spit flames.

On my track toy engine I am not planning to enable over-run fuel cut.

Hope that helps you decide what to do! :mrgreen:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:05 pm 
Group N

Thanks Don and Two Oh five

So if I fit one of these I will be visited by Early Modern Literature? :P

I understand over fuelling is bad for the engine as is fuel cut, but the B*R is an ignition cut system.
So are you saying it can still cause bore wash even with ignition cut and that I could damage my exhaust system running it?

As far as I can gather from other forums go, people tend to run them to prevent over revving on trackdays etc...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm 
Club Staff

The problem with ignition cut is twofold -

First it leaves you with a cylinder full of unburned fuel which having gone through a complete down/up stroke cycle is then pumped into a red hot turbo where it likely goes bang.....

Second the ignition is a closed loop system. The ecu sends the coil a "fire now" signal. The coil sends back an "I fired" response after the event which the ecu listens for. If the ecu doesn't receive the response for a number of cycles it declares an error condition and lights the check engine symbol - it thinks the coil has died.
On early/simple systems the box intercepts the fire signal and lacking responses the ecu gets grumpy.

Now it's possible that the B*R box either generates the response signal or is set up to only block so many fire signals before letting a couple through, both of which would keep the ecu happy. But memory, abused though it may be, tells me it read reports of grumpy ecus when the limiter activates

The stock ecu has a perfectly good limiter but on track your derriere tells you power is tailing off long before the limiter on a stock engine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:30 pm 
Club Staff

Dare I say it - if you want flames would a flamer kit not be a better idea? :oops:

I await said flames in response :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:43 am 
Group N

Thanks for that explanation two_OH_five, I have a better understanding of it all now. I can see it being something not to bother with. I don't necessarily want to turn my 4 into a flame thrower, but Just thought I'd ask as knowledge of the B*R unit is a bit sparse.