www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

Post subject: Roll Cage Etc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:59 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Hello folks,

Now the cold weather has set in, i'm retreating to the warmth of my garage to do some faffing on the car.

I'm wanting to make a few 'upgrades' over the winter for next years hillclimbs/sprints. I'm intending to stay in A3 roadgoing class.

Currently I have no roll cage, and I would like some additional protection (and stiffness - heh), without going to the extent of a full FIA spec cage. I've been considering a 'half-cage' with 4 point connection which would involve a post inside of the B pillars, a horizontal bar between these below the roof, and two further legs extending to the rear of these. Maybe a diagonal too. Would this type of set-up cause any issues with scrutineering or insurance, or are there any other things to consider?

I am also looking a racing seats and harnesses... are there any combinations which particularly suit the ST205?

I've got a list of other stuff (tyres, wheels, polybushes, weight reduction...) but I want to get the cage and seats sorted out first.

Any advice or helpful tips on the subject would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.

Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Etc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 pm 
Group N

I fitted a half cage in....b pillar back, welded it in myself :) afer getting the tubes ready bent.

Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Etc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 pm 
Group N

I'm loving your work! I've seen some of the pics of your project, as Google threw them up when I was looking for other examples of Fours with cages. How far on is it now?

Since I last posted I sourced an OMP bolt-in cage, which I'm going to use half of. I usually do work to this car myself, but I decided to get a pro to install the cage, as I am after an additional cross-bar for harnesses and my welding experience is... limited.

I've bought some interior plastic trim which I will cut into to accommodate cage (thus keeping me in road-going class), and I will save mine for if I ever switch back to stock.

I've still to buy seat/s and harnesses. Have been looking at Cobra Clubman buckets, as they're quite light and a good price.