www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:51 am

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:41 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
I've already obtained a set of 185 single pots complete with black diamond grooved discs and have them ready to refurb and I understand that 205 rear calipers and discs will go straight on also?

Are my assumptions correct or will I greatly unbalance the car under breaking if I follow this route? I may just get a new set of rear discs as the rear calipers have recently been refurbished for this years MOT by the previous owner (at £100 per side!).

Cheers,

Jamie.

PS I have 17s on atm and a lovely set of Speedline 16s ready for refurb and to go on at the same time as the calipers so I don't expect any issues there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:38 am 
Group N

in my opinion theres no need to increase the size of the rear discs and calipers except for cosmetic reasons.

i dont believe you will run into problems with the rears locking before the front as the standard bias valve only permits 500psi of pressure to the rear, whilst the front can reach 1200psi (from memory, read from one of many toyota manuals).

if you really want to spend a little money on your brakes, i highly recommend you take a look at the 315mm disc conversion from datajon, which uses TT discs, a couple of adapter shims and brackets and the standard twin pot 165 calipers.

Sprint ST165 aka "The 500BHP Sledgehammer" #6 in the Toyota Sprint Series. GT3071 1.9bar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 am 
New Poster

Cheers for that Andy, I was going to go down that route originally but picked up a set of single pots, braided lines (which i'll replace), pads (loads left), and almost new black diamond front grooved disks for £100...

In the future, if I can sort out the rust issues i'll go for more power and uprate the fronts to either a 205 conversion or an off the shelf kit if finances allow.

What are you running on yours and how did they perform at the Ring andyour other track excursions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:06 pm 
Group N

i have the larger discs and single pot calipers from the CS model 185, with mintex 1155 pads.

they held up really well, even hauling the car down from 130 to 30mph on the 'ring main straight after a full lap :)

Sprint ST165 aka "The 500BHP Sledgehammer" #6 in the Toyota Sprint Series. GT3071 1.9bar