www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:29 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Don,

What about stock mech pump in this scheme - does it switched off or it works in couple with EWP?

It's not clear for me from written above...

(E.M.Remark, "Three camrades")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:36 pm 
Group N

Also the question - if the line bypasses the oil cooler, how the oil will be cooled?
In stock scheme it's to be implemented by water - if water bypasses it, how the cooling of oil will be implemented?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:45 pm 
Group N

Also a question - is it normal, that hot water from block comes back to block w/o cooling?
The stock scheme proposes the same way, even with higher temps IIUC, cause the water also will be heated by exchange in an oil cooler, - that's why I wonder - it seems to be abnormal - hot stuff returns as hot stuff without cooling - for what reason?
I can guess, that it's purpose is just to be for making enough volume of water in the block, where it mixes with cool part of water from the rad - due to the mixing the final temp of water wich comes to block is low enough for further operating..

Am I correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:09 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Nothing new to report I'm afraid. Now that the racing season has finished the plan is that this work will happen over the winter.

The mechanical pump is removed from the system by removing the vanes on the impeller.

Unfortunately it looks like the electric pump I bought is not man enough for the job as its rated at only 80litres/minute. They do a larger pump but I'm now looking at a different manufacturer who makes a pump with larger capacity and who's flow rate is controllable via the MoTeC ECU.

Oil will be cooled by a stand alone oil cooler although we may retain the stock 'doughnut' as this will warm the oil quickly and reduce engine wear. N.B. The thermostat is removed from the cooling system and replaced by a restrictor plate.

You are right in saying that some hot coolant from the block circulates via this 'doughnut' heat exchanger without going through the rad and being cooled. Interestingly the WRC engines dispense with this setup completely and use a small external oil/water/rad heat exchanger.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:33 am 
Group N

Good to hear it all..

TBH while reading previous pages I wondered, that you've pinned up your choice on 80 l/min - even with simple calculations it's clear, that it's not enough! If stock pump makes (finally, as an assembly with engine) app. 150 l/min at 4K rpm, how 80 l/min could be sufficient?
I'm glad that my doubts on the 80 l/min deficite are verified by you..

Thanks for your opinon on "doughnut" etc...

Some other questions:

1) How do you think, may be it's also possible to perform this standalone cooler as an air-cooled instead of water-cooled?

2) Don't you know - may be there are some other ways to manage the EP - not only with MoTeC? I mean something single, like such devices as AVC-R, S-AFC, EFC, etc..

3) Are you sure, that it crucial to remove the stock mech pump? May be it's possible to use both of them in this scheme - EP + MP.. It will use the idea of twinturbo, or, as you like, the idea of lift pump & HP pump.. Why not? Like it's done in last 1.4l engine of VAG - kompressor works in the low rpm, then turbine helps..
I can project, that with that it will be hard to make them friends, b'cause they will use the single line & in acc. to Pascal law both of them will fight against each other, as one will generate higher pressure than another in diff. diapasonums of engine rpm's..
But may be someone have passed this stony road already?

4) Do you know, what is the purpose of the assembly, which uses the big long hose, which goes probably from oil filler neck - it could be seen on your pics from the 1 page of this topic:

"TTE ST205WRC Header Tank" (black, goes in right from header tank)
"TTE ST205WRC with a similar cooling configuration to the TTE ST185 above" (insulated with foil)

IIUC - it's a part of this standing alone oil-coolin' sys? Or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:02 pm 
Group N

Don, do ya have smth 2 say on da previous post???