www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Funnily enough, I did a search for Magasquirt last night.
Being quite lazy, I'm not sure that a self build ecu is for me.

Is there a full GT4 specific component list available anywhere?
Or, do you know anyone who would make me one? Hint hint.

Blitz Nur-spec SS backbox
Apexi Air Filter

ST205 Front Calipers - Yes, really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
DJ - not everyone is a geek and has the necessary knowledge or skills to manufacture, install and subsequently tune a Megasquirt.

Also for some guys maybe it's the ease factor, worry factor or just simply their goals are to achieve smaller HP returns for their money.

imho the Dastek and other piggyback ECUs do have a worthwhile place! :)

At least if you fit a piggynack ECU cold start, idling, economy, aircon works etc and reliability should all be pretty good :)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 pm 
Club Staff

HMM,
Megasquirt indeed looks to be a very capable ECU with a budget price tag. As has been indicated this is an option for those that are happy to make a loom, build ECU and map themselves. I don't actually know anywhere professional that will it? Maybe DJ will start to offer a package?

I woudl go Greddy emanage - as there are more mapping places than the Unichip.

I guess you are really after a power fc for ease of fitment, cost etc. It is a shame they have stopped making them as it was an easy way to get basic functionality allowing tweaks to fuelling and timing without having to bugger about with the wiring too much.

I am amazed that no-one in the Uk has started doing Rom Tunes like ATS racing has in the states.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I would still go with the piggyback unit for a moderate road car

It comes with millions of $$s invested in mapping for cold, hot, knock etc etc all of which is missing from any other EMS, never mind the megasquirt.

I'm not knocking any of these products. They all have their place but IMO it's in a more focussed package than a lightly tuned road car. Even the PFC falls into this category in my eyes although it's application specificness makes it a more friendly package to use. Ultimately though you still loose some of the standard ECU functionality and the research that goes into making the car start every day no matter what the weather does lol

So with all that I do believe that tweaking the stock ECU is the way forward for average road tuning where you're really looking to just take a little fuel out of the stock rich map. If you're looking to mods which will require injector changes then look full ems.

Out of the off the shelf piggyback products the E-manage does it for me. Mostly because you can tweak it yourself if your mod pacage changes. This is not true of the Dastek.
Personally I'd still buy the emanage ulti (not far off Dastek prices) and get it mapped. Then as time progresses I'd add the PC link to allow for DIY mapping (in conjunction with a wideband and knock monitor)

JP, I think the ATS ROM tunes are a little crappy TBH. As far as I know (i.e. unless it's changed in the last year) it's not actually mapped per car. You tick the modification boxes and a map comes out the other end. I suspect this would still require a piggyback to fine tune for a given car lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 pm 
Club Staff

Steve,
Yes you are correct as far as ATS just supply you a chip and carry out no mapping on your specific car.

The hardware however will allow it to be done.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 pm 
Junior WRC

Can see what you mean Guy’z not everyone wants to start from a bare board and work forward, yes i went from the ground up route, but that’s me, the experience was well worth the hassle, as now its easy.

you can buy ms1 or ms2 which will run 3sgte hassle free.

bill shivuralton umm how’s it spelt, will drop a link in later, when home, he’s over on www.msextra.com he's based around Windsor “ I think”, he’s the man, supply ready built with everything you need to get you running.
i have start-up maps for std turbo 430cc/ 540cc inj, that run safe.

any rolling road centre, with tehtec guy , that has brain larger than a pea will be able to map it. after all it runs. like any other ecu ie, similar to the likes of mbe, pectel,dta, Not in performance, precisions ecu, but general rule, simple tables, everything else is as is on programmable ecu, unlike some plug in units that operate in a unique user interface…...

Personally, if you want mild power use a 205 ecu, less Is more in this case.
Cheapest route by far , using a simple old 185 ecu & 3 old ecu loom plugs, will allow a full adaptor to be constructed, , supply parts and I will wire it up, Childs play to be frank, even use the 185 wiring loom

least using a 205 ecu “ god am I saying this” , unlike 165, 185 crap ecu will run well, easy see 300/320 bhp , no mapping, no messing, Just a simple case of 540 inj’s, & two air temps sensor required, tps,plug convert job done..

as things progress move onto a programmable ecu, only way forward, as for piggy back, its not in my book.. sorry if I had my way I would ban them, as well as a few other things that folk seem to think work well.

If you want to go ms I will help out with the nitty gritty stuff, ie mapping, wiring, install set-up, warm-up enrichment/ idle control, deccel , knock retard etc etc etc has all been sorted, any 185 will run sweet. on ms…after all they are all the same, so its not a problem.
Dom whats your budget, thats the limit..

project six million dollar 185, faster, stronger, lighter than before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 pm 
Group N

Thanks for the info John, very useful.

I take it you are using MS as a standalone unit?

I quite like the idea of the 205 ecu as well, I assume it will get rid of the AFM?
What else is needed?
I could be tempted to go that route, esp as no mapping costs are involved.

I have a spare ecu, and the loom plugs shouldn't be too hard to find.

Budget is a tricky one, I'm not particularly flush at present and I am doing this on an "as and when" schedule.
I am currently building up a stock of parts I want to fit to the car and I'm not really in a rush to get anything sorted.

Blitz Nur-spec SS backbox
Apexi Air Filter

ST205 Front Calipers - Yes, really!