www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 pm

Post subject: valve angles
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:37 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
HI.

Ok on the subject of valve angles. Almost at the point of starting the cylinderhead machining.

The triple angle, versus the single angle.

What to go for, and why?

I been told for big power running high temps to use single angle, i have seen a few cosworth heads with both, this only clouds my route a little more, once I have done it, its either done in or done up, not something I want to redo if I choose wrong.

My feelings say, single angle, better for heat properties, bigger valve seat face, more valve material to help keep it all together.

the triple angles seems to allow better flow, when using a smaller valve i.e. stock, hopefully going up 2 to 3 mm will out way this.

Any suggestions.

Cheers

jon

project six million dollar 185, faster, stronger, lighter than before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
My dark side alter-ego wrote:
For strong turbo road engine I would concur

You're not looking for the last .001% VE so a robust 1 angle job would IMHO probably be better than a 3 angle
Well that's according to conventional wisdom at least

I have also been following a developing school of thought too

Their argument is that a 3 angle might actually be more heat resistant. The argument goes like this:-
with a single angle you typically cut say 60deg. This gives you a little bit of a knife edge effect where the head material is a little bit thin around the throat entry. This makes it prone to overheat in extreme conditions.
If you go for a 2 or three angle job you can increase the throat cut to a higher number, say 75-80deg. This gives you less of a knife edge and hence more heat resistance

I can see the logic in this argument and it has me confuddled TBH

Whilst I can see the advantage of this you get the disadvantage that a multi-angle job is much harder to lap in leaving you with a tendancy to local hotspots due to different valve/head contact
But then with a single cut you get reduced chance of valve burn as it can generally be lapped in a bit better but you slightly increase the risk of head burn with the knife edge throat

Out of all this I have concluded that were I to do a head myself I would go single angle. Given limited tools (and talent LOL) I have more change of producing a well lapped and sealed single angle head than multi

Then again, what about a 2 angle. best (and worst) of both worlds

My tuppence on the subject. Kerplink!

Hope that has helped and made the answer crystal clear for you LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:47 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Jon - I would think defo the 3 angle valve job :)

From my understanding this is the best trade off between aiding power output and cost.

The principle behind the 3 angles as I see it is to promote airflow around the valve. The more angles you cut, the closer to a curved surface you approach, and of course a nice smooth curved surface will aid flow much better than a jagged stepped surface i.e. 1 angle.

Of course the contact surface between the valve and the head is critical, but this can be played with, just like everything! :lol:

On the exhaust valve for example this can be run wider than stock to aid heat dissipation, whilst on the inlet valve it can be narrower, which will aid airflow.

All imho :)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk