www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
after finding out my rear diff was scrap (no fixed rotation in either direction)ive installed a st205 rear diff today to find the same loss of drive problem, it will engage all gears fine an the clutch feels fine (new clutch 6months ago) then it drives but something slips.....like clutch slip but in the box or transfer box,also when i turned the prop to connect it to the rear diff it turned but clonked half way through its roation. im thinking its the center diff or transfer box. its an st205wrc box with a crunchy 3rd gear syncro.

has anyone any idea's because im abit fecked off!
i do have another gearbox and was thinking of swaping the transfer boxes in situ,is this do'able?? thanks. :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Quote:
after finding out my rear diff was scrap (no fixed rotation in either direction)

Can you elaborate on that statement?

Quote:
do have another gearbox and was thinking of swaping the transfer boxes in situ,is this do'able??

Given that you have a duff 3rd gear, I'd recommend replacing the whole gearbox...

You can change the transfer in situ, but I doubt that is your problem?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
the rear diff has no fixed rotation like it should....by which i mean that if you move one output shaft it should turn either the other output shaft in the oppisite direction or the the input yoke in in relation to which the out put is being turned........ if i turn the input yoke/shft on the diff,it is not turning either of the output/driveshaft parts......as it should. fooked.

my spare gearbox is also fooked due to 2nd 3rd an a little 4th syncro's worn to buggery so the gearbox is a no go,however the transfer unit was good an im planning to swap these this weekend.

what ever has coursed the diff to fook up i think the problem lies in the trans or gearbox because when the prop shaft was not connected to the rear diff it would not turn through a rotation without clunking and almost locking in its rotation............or............the diff has fooked its self an the shocks has gone down the prop an buggered the gbox........either way.....its...................fooked.

my 3rd gear sync prob is only small,the same as my bank account after splashin out on brand fookin new bc coilovers an a st205 rear diff this month!

thanks.