www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

Post subject: Clutch time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
hi people,

my clutch is just starting to slip so im getting ready for a new one,ive done a search but cant find much so i would just like to ask a couple of questions please

1.What power can the OE clutch stand up to?
2.ive read you have to take the engine out, is this true or not?
3.If you do have to take the motor out does it come out the top or dropped out the bottom

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
1....the standard clutch is good, certainly good enough to cope if you dont launch the car.

i have done approx 35k on standard clutch, 6 trackday, nurburgring for 15 laps and alot of hard b road driving and it still going strong.

im running approx 340bhp going on my car being the same as my brothers in pulling power.

2.. no you dont have to, you can lower the engine about 6 inches and do it that way.

BUT taking engine out is easier

3.. drop the engine out onto a pallet then lift the car over the engine. best way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am 
New Poster

thanks for the quick reply!

ill go for the standard clutch then, but ive been looking at taking my engine out to freshen it up anyway so just need to decide wether to do it while im doing the clutch or not

decisions decisions

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am 
WRC

no problems, just remember though if you launch the car at all the standard clutch will die a quick death. lol

is the car a st205?? i am going on the wear rate of a st205 clutch, i have no idea about the st185 as i dont know if its the same clutch or not. :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:46 am 
New Poster

its a 185, and to be honest i usually wait until its in second gear anyway before i boot it, im not trying to be a traffic light god, i just want a clutch that isnt to heavy or on/off feel, that is going to last me abit, i only have a few mods, (boost up slightly,fcd, decat, exhaust, panel filter, apexi safc) so doesnt need to handle masses of power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am 
WRC

good good, i would think a standard unit would still be more than upto the job with those mods. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 am 
New Poster

thanks again, my mission to keep another crate on the road may begin :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 am 
WRC

haha, gtfours belong on the road, they are phenominal machines, i am truely keeping mine alive, one engine in the car and another one underway to be built the four will stay alive until i die. haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:28 pm 
New Poster

i know what you mean and that is a option im thinking off, to buy a engine build it then just swap them over, if this was any other car i had owned it would of been on ebay up for sale, but this thing keeps pulling me back, every time i drive it i forget about what a pain in the arse it is and how much it costs me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm 
Club Staff

I'll second the advice from Dale :)

I might add that I think engine out of the top might be easier... (not done it this way yet)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:15 pm 
WRC

nor me! i just thought with how heavy it is maybe easier out bottom, but when removing a r32 skyline engine and box together we just pull out the engine out the top.... but its alot easier than our cars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:58 pm 
Clubman

mate after doing my clutch on the st185 i'll say drop the whole lump down and lift the car over after,when refitting try to have the car as level as you can as it makes it easier to line the engine up into its mounts otherwise the engine an box can be on the wrong angle to mount if the car is high. it seemed like a mega task the first time i did mine but the second time (gearbox buggered!) it felt alot easier as i knew what i was doin better. take off the altinater an use the mounting bolt as your lift point plus the other by the dizzy.disconnect the ecu and two other plugs and bring the loom with the engine,take out rad (unless your very brave!) take drive shafts out completely and refit bottom ball joints this way you can move the car or just sit it on its wheels.

i used a exedy standard replacement clutch an it feels light on the pedal an has stood up to some abuse aswell. think mine was £130 ish carnt remember now.

do the timing belt at the same time and the rocker box gasket and maybe the dizzy seal in the head.

then after lunch you follow the haynes manual with "re-fitting is reverse of removing" and dwains your grannys toyboy your all done. :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm 
Group B

On a 185 engine out the bottom is WAY easier - none of the suspension or steering is mounted on the crossmembers, so 10 bolts and they're off. Also easier to leave the lengthways crossmember on the engine as the rear engine mount is a pain to get to.

While the engine is out, worth considering doing a metal head gasket if you're running / planning increased boost.

DEFINATELY worth removing and greasing the inlet manifold stay bolts and not over-tightening them. If you ever need to remove head or inlet manifold in-situ you will be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 am 
New Poster

cheers guys, and ive been looking at the exedy standard clutches now ive had some feedback i think i will go for it, and thanks for all the tips, i was going to buy a full engine gasket set with a metal head gasket and go through it all as i know my rocker box is leaking. its just getting the time as its my daily drive aswel

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm 
Club Staff

Gaskets kit - Don't buy the engine gasket kit. You will end up with lots of gaskets and seals, none of which are marked so you won't know which one is intended to fit which part. Also you will get a lot left over. By the gaskets individually.

Clutch - Get a standard one! (don't forget to get the bearing as well...)

Head gasket - Fit ARP head studs if you change the gasket...

Rocker cover leak - This is unrelated to the head gasket. GENTLY tighten all the cover bolts, the leak will probably go away. WARNING, do not overtighten the bolts or you will crack the rocker cover...

http://www.gtfours.co.uk