www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:11 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Quote:
Chris, I'm not sure that a bleed point on the rad top tank is high enough. You will probably find that it simply bleeds coolant direct into the header under track conditions when the coolant expands.

On the standard setup this is considered high enough for bleeding as it's the only place which opens up to let coolant in & air out, though pointing uphill certainly helps. I agree bleeding from other places is beneficial, however any height difference from rad to other higher points is small and the flow will tend to carry gas to the rad. The rad is probably the main collecting place as it's the only place where the coolant sits long enough for air to separate before heading downwards, and air will be less inclined to carry downwards.
On mine, I do get coolant flowing from the rad top into the header tank. Not a bad thing as it helps carry gas bubbles to the tank. It's inevitable as the tank links to pump inlet which is the lowest pressure point in the system. Due to the small bore bleed pipe, the quantity is minimal compared to what goes through the rad.

Quote:
For higher outputs and particularly track use I think a high mounted swirl pot is essential and the bleed is taken from the top of the pot to the header tank. Getting the level right for the header and the swirl pot is critical otherwise they will simply fill with coolant and not provide any room for expansion or de-gassing through the bleed line.

Agree.
My suggestion for a basic system is purely that it is far better than the standard system and is easy to implement with minimal cost. Mine took me an afternoon using bits I had lying around in the workshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST165
CdB

i don't know if you are aware but the ST165 already has a factory pressurised steel overflow header tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 pm 
Group B

Quote:
CdB

i don't know if you are aware but the ST165 already has a factory pressurised steel overflow header tank

I wasn't aware.

Wonder why they went away from it for 185/205.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm 
New Poster

Gary ST165 wrote:
CdB

huh? i dont have one.. mine i believe is a jap import. do you have a pic of ur setup?

thanks

1987 Toyota GT-Four ST165. Wanting to be a Rally car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm 
Clubman

not mine but to see it at bottom left pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:42 am 
New Poster

wow thats so crap.. ive got a *bleep* plastic overflow bottle in that spot.. not happy..

so with this system does it connect from the top of the rad and then another goes into the lower coolant hose like 'Chris-de-Bear' explained as a good system?

very strange how it wasn't on later model gt-fours.. is it very effective? would love to buy one..

thanks for the pic!! jealous now haha

1987 Toyota GT-Four ST165. Wanting to be a Rally car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 am 
Group B

As said above, does it link back into the plumbing elsewhere, or is it as Gary said, a pressurised expansion tank ?
I guess a pressurised expansion tank will maintain pressure on cool down, but it still won't have the air removal benefits of a full header tank setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 pm 
Junior WRC

So what is the normal operation temps for a 205 and what kind of temps would one expect under load for a long duration? I have an ASI rad on a 205 engine and on a 70 degree day I run about 190 or 87c after doing a bunch of WOT runs to tune a boost controller. I did a run with a jdm 185 with a ct20 and oem rad and his hood was hotter than mine after driving for an hour. Mine was cool to the touch over the turbo. I was running 15psi and he was running 13psi.

http://www.noritoy.com