www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Head removal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hi, As mentioned in my first post i am currently repairing my head gasket.

Ive disconnected the 100 odd hoses, and all wiring. Im left with just 4 or 5 bolts in the inlet manifold. I cant see anything from undernieth and the only point of access seems to be from the top right. I was thinking... could i remove the head and inlet as one? Would make it so much easier fropm what i can see.

Your help is much apprecieted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm 
Group B

Easiest to leave both manifolds on the head and split at the turbo to manifold join - leaving the turbo in situ.
Key is you need to undo the 2 bolts on the manifold stays right up next to the bulkhead. Only access is from passenger side, easier if you remove distributor. If they are tight you may need to remove 2 engine mounts (front, under turbo & back of gearbox - you'll need to access from under car) so you can rock the engine forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 am 
Clubman

Thanks alot for the info! I will buy a head bolt socket today and get on the case! Ive already removed the exhaust side but the turbo coould do with new seals so not a big deal. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm 
Group B

Get one with a long shaft & you can remove the bolts without removing the cams. Alternatively you can normally get away with a 10mm allen key - cut the angled bit off & use a 10mm socket. Just take care to ensure it is fully inserted in the head & kept straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 pm 
Clubman

Ahhh.... Ive ordered one now, Ebay special £5.99. As its on its way so i might aswell hang on and get my moneys worth. Theres 3 plugs going through the inlet pipe which im struggling to unclip now. Cut hands and swearing constantly lol Brought a new thermostat from the bay and its too small! It doesnt even sit in the 'o'ring from the original. Maybe its a 205 one? Its the only one on ebay so to buy another seems stupid :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06 pm 
Group B

TCB in Cornwall (tcbparts.co.uk) is a good place to get stuff from, or in small quantity may be cheaper from toyota dealer as no P&P.

Wiring wise, make sure to pull the plug off the knock sensor before you lift the head. Wires go down through the middle of the manifold and the knock sensor is in the block in between the 2 manifold stays.

Long thin arms needed :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 pm 
Clubman

Tell me about it! Dont think i have any lanky friends either :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm 
Clubman

Heads off!
Heres some pics, as this is my first time i thought i would post these to see if everything looks ok to you guys. How would i know if the rings had gone? It looks messy, Ive had a rag in the bores which i think left some little 'bits' in there. Should i be worried? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm 
Group B

I'm guessing No. 4 is the one the HG leaked on from the white colour.

Tell tale for broken rings / ringlands is vertical scores in the bores. Cant see anything in the small parts I can see in the photo. Often easiest to find by running a fingernail round the bore.
2 & 3 look a bit oily but may just be what dropped in as the head came off.

Look for dark marks across the metal rings round the head gasket (both sides) as these are the tell tales for where the gas was leaking.

Are you planning on using a standard head gasket or a metal one ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm 
Clubman

Thats kinda good news then. Ive brought a steel 205 gasket. Ive read alot about the gaskets slightly differing but im just going to offer them up to each other and make my own decision lol. Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
Group B

p.s.

Be very careful scraping the gasket off the head, very easy to put a big scratch in it. I normally use a paint scraper with the corners rounded so they can't dig in by accident.

Many people get the head skimmed anyway, especially if fitting a metal head gasket as these require the faces to be spotlessly clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm 
Group B

I haven't tried running a 205 gasket on a 185 engine as I've now swapped to a 205 engine in my 185. I have read it can be used and know people who have done it on 185 block / 205 head hybrids. Certainly be good if it's possible as they're much cheaper than an aftermarket steel gasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm 
Clubman

Yeah far cheaper. Im just about to take the head to work and run a clock along the face to see damage extent. Did you notice the raised valves in two and three? this normal? Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
probably just the cams holding them open. Rotate the cams 180 to check they close. If they stay open then most definitely not normal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 am 
Clubman

Yeah their all moving up and down. Been abit of a tart and dropped a tourque adaptor into the head when removing. I think its gone down an oil feed hole? Let me guess, ive just made alot of work for myself :x I stuck a long magnet tool down but no luck. I hope its in the sump and not stuck half way! The head turned out to be quite flat to be honest, 0.05mm At the worst. I took your advice and still took a skim of 0.08mm Just to make sure :) Heres a couple pics. You will notice shes still assembled. I raised the block up on some surface ground blocks and skimmed half, then rotated cams to lower the other valves and continued with the rest. A good blow out, wash and then another blow made sure shes completely swarf free.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next