www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 pm

Post subject: Distributer problem
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Good Morning everyone or anyone actually :)

The probem I purchased a very low milage head for my 165 off a running 165 which came with cams all intalled, not touched in head removal and still set up just as per running car

The head is an 8000 mile head that was purchased new from Germany, though i have no info as of yet, (am trying to get more info to aid in this but as problem has only just manifested itself and having to go through 3rd party then may take a few days) i dont know if the cams were bought and installed at the same time

The trouble is the distributer will not fit into the slot on the end of the cam as looks like a 1/2 -1/4 mm to narrow on the cam ( i tried it 180 degrees round as well just to check in case it only goes in one way )

Now there is a possibility of it being a TTE head so maybe non standard cams? but i would not of thought that this would involve a different dizzy

An option (which is a valid question no matter how stupid it may sound but i dont have the answer hence the asking) would/could be ....Can i file the extra 1/4 mm in the cam locating recess to facilitate the dizzy installation???

Do you think this woud be a problem and if so in what way?

The only other alternative i can see would be changng the cams to different cams ie the ones that origainally cam out of "Ezzy"

I did try the dizzy on Ezzy's old cam and it fits onto there and I beleive Steve and Mike tried to gt the dizzy to fit on the new head with the other cams all to no avail so that eliminates my stupidity

I need to manage this quite quickely whilst the engine is out of the car as would make cambelt resetting up a lot easier if the engine is out

Any ideas would be most grateful

Thanks

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:43 am 
Group B

I'm assuming you mean the slot in the back of the dizzy ?

Would it not be easier to file the tongue on the dizzy narrower. This will keep swarf out of the head and save a huge clear-up operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:44 am 
Group B

p.s.

May need grinding rather than filing as it's probably hardened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:46 am 
Group N

Nibbles wrote:
p.s.

May need grinding rather than filing as it's probably hardened.

Great advice there Chris... adn after asking a few other places too in general guesses are that it shouldnt be a problem so i think i will bite the bullit and go for it... and doing the dizzy itself will be so much easier

I think the engine was left pretty much with acces to remove the rocker cover just to make it easier

so i will be a good boy and leave it alone for a week ( with hands itching to do something lol ) to try not to exassipate the foot and sit in friends garage for an hour or two humming away in my own little world pretending everythings back to normal.... bliss for a couple of hours :)

Jingo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:33 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
Hi Chris, as far as i know and the old owner of said head, a stock dizzy was used?

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
It sure doesnae fit as is

By peering down the dizzy hole I thought the offset looked different but it's hard to tell for certain. Also I'm sure the 205 dizzy has a small amount of movement in the drive on the dizzy shaft which would make sense to me. Chris's is rock solid

I think the rocker cover and retaining cap need to come off for sure

Finally if anyone has a new outer O ring seal for the dizzy that's missing for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
I'm not sure then?
Having spoken to the previous owner of the st165 cylinder head it was sourced from Germany and had VERY little miles on it, i'm sure you will agree.
It didn't have any EGR fittings etc.
worth noting i purchased a st165 Charge cooler from him which also came from germany, this turned out to be a TTE core, so i'm wondering if the head/camshafts may be a little different to those fitted to a stock st165?

As mentioned a stock st165 dizzy was used with this head, i have another distributor that Chris can try to make sure there isn't anything odd going on with the distributor that he now has.

Failing that Kris is showing he still has a st165 Distributor if one of you guys lives near him, maybe he would be willing to lend for a trial fit?

The rubber dust seal from around the distributor body is 19127-15021

The O ring for the shaft where it locates in the head is 90099-14090

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Club Staff

Someone mention me! :P

Think I've got a good 165 dizzy in the garage - if you want it you can have it... my good deed for the year! :)

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 pm 
Club Staff

Inspection of JP's spare 185 dizzy shows that his too has movement in the drive sprocket
I'm confident that the issue is Chris' has siezed on the roll pin and it's out of line

Peering at the end of the cam that head looks brand new. No sign of varnishing at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:16 am 
Group N

Thanks for all the replies guys

and thank you Steve for getting in touch with Adam/Alex ( brain drain on name memory :( )

On this dizzy the inner seal has been replaced so I will order the one into the head

Head was VERY clean, I did have to remove the cam in question so as to get access to the head bolt on the sproket end (perhaps its take the rocker cover off again to have better access to SEE a bit better as to what the problem is but i couldnt before )

Quote:
Inspection of JP's spare 185 dizzy shows that his too has movement in the drive sprocket
I'm confident that the issue is Chris' has siezed on the roll pin and it's out of line

Im not exactly sure i know what you mean or if its something i can do whenn i can get down to garage ( which i am hoping will be later on in the week for a small time but depends on bone xrays this week )

Kris
Quote:
Someone mention me!

Think I've got a good 165 dizzy in the garage - if you want it you can have it... my good deed for the year!

Very kind of you sir ( at least if still does not fit then I have one that i can fit to maybe different cams if i mess up filing the old one to fit ) many thanks[/b]

Again Thanks for ideas andthoughts and hope see you all again soon with me able to get a lil bit more involved

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:13 am 
Club Staff

On the camshaft end of the distributor there's a lump of metal with two lugs which should engage in the camshaft slot. This lump is held ow with a roll pin or something equivalent. On dizzys I've looked at the metal lump has a certain amount of wigglyness (tm :lol: )
Yours seems solid and IIRC it was stuck off centre. It might just need a bit of persuasion and lube to get it moving again at which point I think it'll slot right in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 am 
Group B

two_OH_five wrote:
On the camshaft end of the distributor there's a lump of metal with two lugs which should engage in the camshaft slot. This lump is held ow with a roll pin or something equivalent. On dizzys I've looked at the metal lump has a certain amount of wigglyness (tm :lol: )
Yours seems solid and IIRC it was stuck off centre. It might just need a bit of persuasion and lube to get it moving again at which point I think it'll slot right in

Agree 100%

Would be better to have something fitting correctly than something off-centre filed to fit. The latter would put side load on the dizzy bearings, and if the mechanism unzeized once soaked in hot oil, it would then give very inaccurate timing as it flops about loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am 
Group N

two_OH_five wrote:

I understand now :) thank you.... I know the bit you are on about now but at the same time don't think that that's the problem due to having the rocker cover off and trying to see (before foot probs so lil sketchy) and the dizzy contact point looked to big to fit. But this hopefully I will manage to recheck this week and will remove the end cap and fix down again to try to eliminate that possibility... also would the engine not not turn freely if that was the case ie something out of alignment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 am 
Club Staff

Jingo, have you got an accurate measuring device such as a vernier caliper? It would be worth measuring the slot in cam and tab on the dizzy and comparing against kris, and my st185 dizzy.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:43 am 
Group N

Diceman wrote:
Jingo, have you got an accurate measuring device such as a vernier caliper? It would be worth measuring the slot in cam and tab on the dizzy and comparing against kris, and my st185 dizzy.

Hey you know me JP i have techincal things like a hammers and tubes of gripfill lol

In serious answer i am afraid that that is not something i posess

Been told i can try small parts without crutches probably after Mondays hospital ( with conditions :( )so may have the chance to have my hands free to get into garage and manage to do a few small bits or at least give some better info on things... all so bloody frustrating

Other than that i am going to go out to Ezzy and rust proof those small bits in engine bay if i can this weekend you pointed out JP

Hope see you all soon and Enjoy Japfest people grr ;)

Chris