www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:50 am

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Took CS for a run, no problem starting and very responsive now :)
But.... when I parked up and popped bonnet (only done 3-4 miles) the intercooler was very very hot!! Hotter than ever before and I had not been blatting! Oh ohhh I think... here we go again. Waited a few hours, popped cap off and started her up to check for 'swirling'... there was none... So bloody pump failure eh???........ checked for codes and there were none???.....*bleep*? so I took her for another run and lo and behold she did not heat up and now the 'swirl' is back so the pump IS running???
Blooming car....she will be the death of me :)
Anybody else had intermittent problems like this and my erratic starting problems?
Cheers lads. Lovely sunshine up here just now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
I believe the CS has a separate unit to control the pump but with some integration with the ECU (I think ECU can over-ride on at least) so not sure what error codes you would get, if any.

It could be worn out brushes, a bad connection, or a control system problem. The only way to diagnose properly is to wait until it's not working again then use a meter to see where the drive is getting lost. In the meantime, it's worth having a look at the intercooler relay for signs of overheating on the connections and maybe even whipping the lid off and checking for worn / burnt contacts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
Group N

Thanks Chris, you are a star as usual :)
I've been waiting weeks to replicate the 'none start' on full ignition but she will not do it!!!
Not so easy to see if the pump failure is repeated untill my bonnet paint starts peeling ... ha haa.
I think that as she has now gone 21 it is time for an 'off the road' for a couple of months and get her stripped down and all contacts and bushes/rubbers checked over. I would love to keep her alive myself but my back is KO'd and mechanics around here know sfa about 4's!... what a too doooo. But worth it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Group N

Damn thing is doing it again! Got the warning light, did have a code it was 54 this time so checked intercooler levels which were a touch down. Gave her a rev, got the swirl, topped her up and then 'click' intercooler pump stopped working!!!
Tried again after a while and exactly the same, pump switches off after 30 seconds or so......
Where is this relay? and which 'lid' to pop of to get to contacts please?
Thanks for any info.