www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

Post subject: Intake and Exhaust temps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:44 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Afternoon guys :)

Does anyone know what their intake and exhaust gas temps are?

Im looking to get an EGT Gauge and also an Intake gauge so that i can monitor peak temps during the winter and going forward into the summer.

What i need to also know is what is a maximum safe intake and exhaust temp for the rev3 3sgte if anyone knows?

Im currently running approx 1.15bar but i dont want to temp ringland failure which i believe is directly related to running your intake charge too hot?

Ultimately I'd like to create a baseline to measure against to stay within a safe limit :)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 pm 
New Poster

Intake temps stick your finger in the air then add up to 30 degrees depending on turbo and front mounted intercoolers etc. turbos transfer serious heat into the intake! It's the petrol entering the cylinder which keep them cool believe it or not.

Exhaust gas temperatures will depend on driving style. On tick over you will be seeing around 300 degrees. My st205 will see 840 degrees on full duty cycle. On standard motorway cruise I will see 900 degrees.

I think EGT is one of the most important gauges you can have certainly as important as oil and water temperature and oil pressure.

I'm running 1.3 bar with no problems they are very rich on boost will see about 10.8 On AFM wideband.

Hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:07 am 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
hot intake, why i love a good fmic, keep it nice and cool in the 20's or lower. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 am 
Club Staff

Yep, 900deg C for the EGT's is normal if it gets above 950 then you need to back off!

Plenum temps can get really high very quickly if you run a lot of boost esp. on track. Running 1.2bar and ~300bhp and water injection but no FMIC I saw 35-40deg C. Without the water it was north of 60deg C and I backed off!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:49 am 
WRC

goes to show the effects a good fmic can have, during a long mapping session on the dyno at 2bar boost on the 3071 my brothers highest intake reading was only 27 degrees i think off top of my head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am 
New Poster

dale wrote:
goes to show the effects a good fmic can have, during a long mapping session on the dyno at 2bar boost on the 3071 my brothers highest intake reading was only 27 degrees i think off top of my head

That's interesting as mine is off to 2bar shortly and my car is running a similar set up as your brothers 3071 race and big intercooler. I've gone a different route with regards to keeping intake tempertures down i have wrapped the entire intake pipe work with titanium exhuast wrap and also using a 4 inch intake on the turbo housing.

Before anyone starts i know exhuast wrap is ment to retain the heat however its a good reflector of heat also. So i thought i would give it a go and due to the turbo and the position of my pipe work and the amount of heat haze that pours out of the bonnet grilles it may help.