www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

Post subject: what turbo? GT4 ST205
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 GT4 ST205 Jap Import. Does any one know what turbo will be on this car?

I have spoken to turbotechinics and they have said it could be either ct20b of ct26. I have no markings on the case of the turbo other than Toyota

I thought these cars came with ct26 am i wrong?
If I purchased the wrong turbo would it still fit?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 am 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
the code we all use for the car is a ct20b, this is the item code i beleive you will need for the turbo

17201-74080

dont quote me on it but i think it is the correct turbo for the st205,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am 
Clubman

dale wrote:
the code we all use for the car is a ct20b, this is the item code i beleive you will need for the turbo

17201-74080

dont quote me on it but i think it is the correct turbo for the st205,

So is there no chance it will be a ct26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 am 
Club Staff

This is an area of longstanding debate and confusion which I cannot profess to solve conclusively

There is, always has been and probably always will be a bit of a blank area in the Toyota turbo naming convention. There are multiple variations of turbos which all seemingly share the same common name

But what Turbotechnics are telling you is the correct common parlance for the turbos

In common terms the ST205 is fitted with a CT20B turbo. In Toyota parlance this might actually be a CT20

In common terms the ST1x5 is fitted with a CT26. In Toyota parlance a CT26 covers at least 3 different turbos

So, what Turbotechnics are telling you is correct in normal speak. The ST205 is indeed fitted with a CT20B
TT are clued up enough on these cars to sell you the right turbo so if they are your chosen supplier then I'd certainly expect them to get it right!

PS, if you're talking to them anyway can you ask how the ball bearing CHRA is coming along :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
Clubman

two_OH_five wrote:
This is an area of longstanding debate and confusion which I cannot profess to solve conclusively

There is, always has been and probably always will be a bit of a blank area in the Toyota turbo naming convention. There are multiple variations of turbos which all seemingly share the same common name

But what Turbotechnics are telling you is the correct common parlance for the turbos

In common terms the ST205 is fitted with a CT20B turbo. In Toyota parlance this might actually be a CT20

In common terms the ST1x5 is fitted with a CT26. In Toyota parlance a CT26 covers at least 3 different turbos

So, what Turbotechnics are telling you is correct in normal speak. The ST205 is indeed fitted with a CT20B
TT are clued up enough on these cars to sell you the right turbo so if they are your chosen supplier then I'd certainly expect them to get it right!

PS, if you're talking to them anyway can you ask how the ball bearing CHRA is coming along :lol:

I spoke to them a few months back regarding a turbo rebuild but they didn't give me a price based on the fact it could be two different turbos.

A ct26 hybrid equiv to the fensport sage 3 has come up for grabs and I was thinking of buying it. I just wanted to know if it would fit as I can't identify my turbo. Plus if it does fit would I see a benefit

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm 
Club Staff

It will fit but you will need to remove a stud from the downpipe

Benefits will ne relatively small on an otherwise stock car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm 
Clubman

As far as i am aware there is no "Official" statement on the ST205's turbo being an CT20B.

All Toyota workshop manuals refer to it as being a CT26 and you can see that the ST205 turbo is a developed version of the CT26.

From what i've heard the ST205 turbo picked up with CT20B name from a japanese tuning company and the name made its way over to the rest of the world.

If you try and order a CT20B then Toyota will sit there scratching their head as nothing comes up on their system with that name. But if you ask them for an ST205 CT26 then they'll be able to find one in their literature.

There was a CT20 which came on the old 1.8 Diesel Camry 1CTL.

On my parts database 17201-74080 comes up as a CT26-Small. Where as the ST185 version just comes up as a CT26.

Last edited by Leeky on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 pm 
WRC

yeah true but the code i put is listed on toyota turbo replacements as the ct20 due to the common term that the 205 turbo is a ct20.. true it is not as you say i too beleive that 99% of them where called the ct26, one of the mk4 supra turbos had the same code of ct but was a totally different turbo like you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm 
Clubman

Right from what I can gather it will still fit then. Would there be any advantage of staying with a ct20? I understand I will not be able to run a ct26 stage 3 at its full potential as the engine internals probably won't take it. So would it be worth upgrading to this as the car is running at 270bhp at the wheels at 1.1 bar
I was thinking of upgrading the fuel pump and possibly fuel pressure regulator at the same time.

Oh only running standard charge cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm 
WRC

i would personally get a proper motec or something, ditch the charge cooler and in all honesty if you have the money get a garrett turbo.

run low boost at around 1.4bar and you should be ok on the stock internals provided you are kind to the car and the cooling is good.

there are one or two people running over 360bhp on the stock block and a fella on here has run 400bhp i believe on stock pistons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm 
Club Staff

IMO running 340+ on a standard engine it will only be a matter of time before failure. Everything needs to be perfect, one slightly dodgy batch of fuel and that's it.

What are your final realistic goals for the car? That will help us recommend a course of action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 pm 
WRC

i agree if you can afford a forged block then yes go for it, but if not then i believe the stock ct20 is more than enough power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm 
Clubman

dale wrote:
yeah true but the code i put is listed on toyota turbo replacements as the ct20 due to the common term that the 205 turbo is a ct20.. true it is not as you say i too beleive that 99% of them where called the ct26, one of the mk4 supra turbos had the same code of ct but was a totally different turbo like you say.

Yep the MK3 Supra 7MGTE engine used a CT26. The MK4 2JZGTE Supra uses 2 CT12's which is the turbo you get on the Glanza.

Btw I was always under the impression that the charge cooler was good for up to 420bhp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 am 
WRC

the 1jz gte also used 2 ct12's

charge cooler hates high sustained boost.. it cant cope with the heat produced.

personally i would never dream of running it near that power when it cant cope on track with a stock ct and 1.2bar let alone a big garrett or hybrid unit.

but all depends what you use is i suppose!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 am 
Clubman

Sirius wrote:
IMO running 340+ on a standard engine it will only be a matter of time before failure. Everything needs to be perfect, one slightly dodgy batch of fuel and that's it.

What are your final realistic goals for the car? That will help us recommend a course of action.

I would love to get some good power from the car, however I have been lead to belive the forging of an engine will cost around the 5K mark. To be honest I dont have that sort of money right at the minute.

I can spare around 2K and I have seen this ct26 at a good price so thats why i was looking at going down that route.

The car is already running 333hp that equates to 270hp at the wheels. Im using a Blitz digital boost controller and a piggy back ecu that is near on max out. No other major engine mods. Obvioulsy running good brakes and uprated clutch.

If I could gain around 30hp and have no issues I would be happy. Not alot I know. However if I can go the bigger power route for less than 5k I may consider it.

I have looked into FMIC but they look such a faf (pardon the pun) I wouldnt have a clue how to strat routing the pipe work.