www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Post subject: Oil Pressure Sensor
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:16 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
I am adding oil temp gauge and oil pressure gauge to my ST165 but also wish to keep the existing oil pressure gauge on the dash ( as i dont like non working gauges ) and as such have the bits needed.

What i want to know is, is that the most convienient place to mount the original pressure sender, new pressure sender and temp sender is higher than where the original pressure sensor was ( which was at the top of the engine already )

Would it be ok to mount it a little higher than original position or would lower be better (but less convienient)

Basically as the thread size on the original pressure sender is 1/8 BSP, and the new sensors are 1/8 NPT thread size, so i have had to use adapters ( a 12" extension/adapter from BSP to NPT so i can mount the original sensor with an added NPT splitter to mount the new pressure sensor as well as the temp sender)

And a quick extra question whilst i am at it:

What is the bolt distributer bolt size (mounting bolt)... i know it is 14mm but what is the thread size/length.... as i need to replace a missing bolt

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:07 pm 
Club Staff

Jingo,
I know your ST165 is "special" as a very model early so wish to clarify something.

Do you have a dash mounted oil pressure gauge or an oil pressure light like the rest of us?

Does the oil pressure gauge sensor come off the distributor end of the head?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Group N

Hiya JP,
Firstly cheers for the reply

(needs to be "special" as i am often refered to as that also lol)

Oil Pressure gauge sensor does indeed come off the distributor end of the block to the left of the dizzy at the end

I have a dash mounted gauge not a light

I have been out there today and i think have managed to find a way to mount them at the same height as the original so hopefully it will be ok when i have finished

I suppose i am not after anything "Exact" but obviously the more exact the better, more of something so i can see if something is starting to go "abnormal"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:37 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Do you have a picture Chris of the existing sensor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm 
Group B

Normally done with a T piece, although if both sensors are a bit heavy it may be wise to add a short length of flexible pipe (will need to be proper high pressure pipe & fittings) to avoid overstressing with the vibration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 pm 
Club Staff

Yep I used a t-piece on the end of a flexible pipe with swaged fittings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 pm 
Group N

I have all the bits i need i was just unsure of placement reguarding if it was higher than where old sender was. i did take into account the extra weight/vibration

The oil temp sender at the moment is also added into the splitter but i dont think tha that will give too accurate readings as is off the head, but i will leave it there for now and see.... if it is too cold there then i suppose the best/easiest other place would be in the sump plug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 am 
Club Staff

I doubt it will matter too much regarding the height as long as its not wildly different.

With the oil temp the sump is a good place to measure this, just make sure the sensor doesn't leak! This can also be a bit of a pain depending on what the wires look like as the wire can get twisted when you screw the sensor in. If the sensor just has a plug on the back it's fine.

For my build I am having the oil temp sensor fitted to the port for the oil level sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:18 am 
Group N

Cheers Mike......Yes the sensor disconnects with just a couple of inches of wire so twisting wont be a problem.... i think i will run the temp sensor for a couple of weeks where i have it at the moment then swap to the sump plug just so i can see how wildly the readings differ.

On the subject of your build,,,, How's it going now? I've been following your build when laid up etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:50 am 
Club Staff

I'll post an update tomorrow I think. Have the engine back now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:27 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Quote:
With the oil temp the sump is a good place to measure this

This is where I measured from.
I had the sump modified to take the sensor - basically a sensor adapter welded in. (EDIT: With the sump removed from the engine).
If you ask Don nicely he can take a photo - he has my old 205 engine with the sump and sensor still attached.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Last edited by Muddy Water on Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 am 
Group B

The temperature sensor needs to be in the sump or in the oil flow. If it's at the end of a pipe with no flow, it will just be cold.
I've seen them fitted in a sandwich plate under the filter as an easy add-on once the engine is built. (can't drill / weld a nut to the sump once full of oil)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:37 am 
Group N

Thanks for the replies guys,
Does anyone know the bolt size so i can be lazy and get a bolt with a threaded hole already in it?

An update too: I had some larger injectors i wanted to fit into Ezzy before my day on the rollers (540's off Richs "Trinity") which were supposed to be a staright drop in upgrade, but with my car being my car and a JDM I spent nearly 5 hours getting the old injectors out of Ezzy and the new ones in, without taking off the inlet manifold, and eventually got them in there. I then wentto connect them up,,,,,, and nope.. no way... connectors were different !!! was well pi$$ed off as was well struggling by this time but wanted to get her all ready after some bad news earlier that day

So Ezzy got left, as she was, stripped down and forlorn. It was confirmed by Rich they popped straight into his car with no modification to the loom or connectors so am pressuming just another JDM anomolie

My bad news earlier that day was that it looks like i am going to have to cancel my tune/map with Ryan at 2-BarTuning as i am having to go back into hospital and have been advised it is not going to be a short stay ( but i will try to get it as short as possible ) Basically the infection in foot is in the bones all of a sudden, after it was going so well considering, and as such is crumbling and fragmenting shards of the bone off. It looks like they are going to operate to cut out any infected bone but have again been advised what the possibilities are :(
I am glad i got to drive Ezzy again, even if not as in in anger or full chat, properly running etc and i must admit has pi$$ed me off the timing of it with her so close to how i wanted her and just a couple of bits to finish then the tune....but looks likje the tune is going to have to be cancelled. Whether i come back with a leg or how much i really dont know but wanted to say thanks again to you all and i DID manage to drive her again which we all thought was not going to happen.

Looks like early this week i will be going in as i refused to go in at a weekend as its pointless, plus the fact the hospital has a bug outbreak at the moment so may of been admitted to a different hospital. Until then (weather permitting) i am going to try like fu[k to get the old injectors back in, and have her back up and running as much as i had her... Still have IAT to connect up, boost control to wire up and a couple of other bits so wil not be totally done but hey... i've done what i can with what i have as much as i can... think its time to just about finish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:01 pm 
Group B

Best of luck Chris, and keep us posted.

If the worst happens, I'm thinking that if a clutch button on the gearknob is good enough for Hannu Mikkola then it's good enough for anyone :) I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to rig up an actuator to the release arm or into the hydraulics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm 
Group N

First time i have even THOUGHT of smiling since Friday Chris and suppassed thought and actually smiled... Cheers Chris

On a bad note couldnt motivate myself to get out there today... tried many times and even had my shoes on.. but dint manage it :( theres still tomorrow :)