www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

Post subject: Blitz ECU Overboosting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Hey guys,

When i first got my car it had BPU mods (Exhaust, Decat, Filter etc) and boosted to 1bar exactly.

I've since done loads of mods including a HKS EVC boost controller which i had set to run at 1.1bar. Stock EBC disconnected.

Anyway i've just bought a Blitz Access ECU which i believe moves to the stock boost up to 1.1bar.

So i fitted the ECU, disconnected the HKS EVC and put the pipework back to stock on the factory EBC.

Boost seems to take longer to come on (which i can imagine is because the boost controller kept the wastegate totally shut longer) but i dont mind that too much, as the bigger issue is i appear to be boosting above 1.1bar.

I've been keeping an eye on the boost and i've come off the gas when i see it going north of 1.1bar. I've seen it go as high as 1.3bar before i've come off the gas. I wouldnt be surprised if it would just keep going.

Does anyone have any idea why its doing this? Am i correct in thinking that these ECU are supposed to boost to 1.1bar?

Im thinking i may just reconnect my EVC anyway as i can cap the boost with it and also bring back the faster spool up time. But i just wanted to check im not doing something wrong.

Cheers

Leeky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
These exists are a bit of a black box. It might be that it has been mapped to a higher boost. Only clue would be to ask the previous owner how it behaved. I'm sure Muddy ran one that went to 1.3 bar but forget the make

Stick to your ebc would be my advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 am 
Group N

Ecu does not control the boost it limits it in 1st 2nd but thats it. Boost is only controlled by the wastegate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am 
Group B

My understanding is that blitz access is mappable but not in the uk. (May only be mappable at time of supply) This means it's a complete lottery as to what map & settings and whether it will work well with your engine or blow it up.

I think most are.set for standard engine but with increased boost and reduced safety margins. Result more power, better ecconomy and pray you don't get a duff batch of fuel or clogged filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 pm 
Club Staff

ECU does control boost IMHO.

The wastegate provides the lower boost level in 1st & 2nd gear then ecu controls the standard boost solenoid to increase boost in higher gears. As such there is no reason why a Blitz ecu could not increase it more and in all gears if wanted.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
Clubman

Cheers guys,

I'll put the EVC back on this weekend as it'll sort the issue and improve the spool up.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
two_OH_five wrote:
I'm sure Muddy ran one that went to 1.3 bar but forget the make

Certainly did...SARD ECU
See this topic for more details http://gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3324

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 am 
Group N

Diceman wrote:

The wastegate provides the lower boost level in 1st & 2nd gear then ecu controls the standard boost solenoid to increase boost in higher gears. As such there is no reason why a Blitz ecu could not increase it more and in all gears if wanted.

The ecu closes the boost solonoid for 1st and 2nd gear so you are only on actuator pressure it then opens it so it bleeds off 2 or 3psi in 3rd 4th 5th giving you full boost. The Ecu can in no way increase this any more unless you alter the solonid i.e. make the bleed hole bigger. It doesnt cycle the soloniod like aftermarket boost controllers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 am 
Group B

MrDB wrote:
Diceman wrote:

The ecu closes the boost solonoid for 1st and 2nd gear so you are only on actuator pressure it then opens it so it bleeds off 2 or 3psi in 3rd 4th 5th giving you full boost. The Ecu can in no way increase this any more unless you alter the solonid i.e. make the bleed hole bigger. It doesnt cycle the soloniod like aftermarket boost controllers.

Certainly true on the 185. I was under the impression the 205 was different, however having just fitted a link G3 to a 205 and using the standard solenoid I'm feeding 100% duty to it and only getting standard boost.
It may be the extra boost people get with blitz ecu's is effectively 'boost creep' as a result of leaner mixture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:26 am 
Club Staff

I believe the ST185 functions as you say and the standard boost control valve is not sufficient to control boost, it merely opens and closes depending on gear to bleed off a small amount of air.

The ST205 however has a better setup and the valve can be used as a solenoid and controlled by aftermarket ECUs. IIRC the Power Fc will control it to raise boost to a target level and Fensport use it with MoTec ECUs if you are not after very high boost levels. There are better options out there with teh ST205 I see no reason why the blitz ECU coudl not be programmed to increase level.

In Nigels case the ECU ran 1.1 bar and he used an external boost controller to raise it to 1.3 bar reading the thread, Fuel cut limit was however raised.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Diceman wrote:
In Nigels case the ECU ran 1.1 bar and he used an external boost controller to raise it to 1.3 bar reading the thread, Fuel cut limit was however raised.

Not quite !
SARD ECU is similar to/same as the C-ONE and Blitz ECUs in as much as the fuel cut is removed; the boost limit is raised to 1.3bar and the map is different to cope with extra boost.
I ran this inconjunction with a Profec B Spec II Boost Controller.
I was able to run the boost controller at 1.3 bar (standard ECU will only cope with 1.2 bar before hitting fuel cut) to achieve the max. output - 366bhp :D
The thread actually shows the difference between the 2 ECUs...
the difference being std ECU and boost at 1.2 bar against SARD ECU and boost at 1.3 bar - everything else was the same.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 am 
Clubman

Hey guys,

I got the EVC back on and am limiting boost to 1.1bar.

Definitely pulls better lower down on the blitz ECU but i got this feeling that it pulled better up the top of the revs on the stock ECU.

I may be mistaken, but if the Blitz is mapped to boost to 1.3bar and i run it at 1.1 it should just adjust the mapping to balance out fuel/air still surely? I mean its not expecting to see 1.3 bar still is it?

Its still a stock ecu underneath and can learn still... so i guess maybe just drive it more and it will eventually adjust the top end of the map accordingly?

cheers